The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at adding some flasher wrasses, specifically some Carpenter's Flashers (Paracheilinus carpenteri).
I was thinking about 2-3.
Is it better to get all females ( if you can find them) ?
Or a male and a couple females?

Once you have that species, can you add other flasher wrasse species?
Only do one specimen per species. Females usually transition to male, even if a male is present. Plus sourcing flashers that are truly female and accurately identified can be difficult.

Specimens of different flasher species usually do better together than multiple specimens of the same species.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only do one specimen per species. Females usually transition to male, even if a male is present. Plus sourcing flashers that are truly female and accurately identified can be difficult.

Specimens of different flasher species usually do better together than multiple specimens of the same species.
Yup, all of this ^ :D

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

So how about a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) and a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how about a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri) and a Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)?
Usually fine. :)

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have a ornate wrasse that has been in a acclimation box for 2 days.
The first day only the female meleagris was acting a little aggressive, but now on the second day the bipartitus has joined in.
Both are spending most of the day patrolling back and forth in front of the acclimation box. The meleagris has even done fake runs at it, pulling up just in front of the box.
The ornate just hangs out looking at everything. Doesn't alarmed
The 2 wrasses use to have a little ( occasional ) sparring with each other, but now it seems like they have a common target.
Any reason to go past 3 days?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ornate wrasse that has been in a acclimation box for 2 days.
The first day only the female meleagris was acting a little aggressive, but now on the second day the bipartitus has joined in.
Both are spending most of the day patrolling back and forth in front of the acclimation box. The meleagris has even done fake runs at it, pulling up just in front of the box.
The ornate just hangs out looking at everything. Doesn't alarmed
The 2 wrasses use to have a little ( occasional ) sparring with each other, but now it seems like they have a common target.
Any reason to go past 3 days?
What's the size difference between the meleagris and the ornate? I would be a little concerned if the meleagris is making runs at the ornate.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What's the size difference between the meleagris and the ornate? I would be a little concerned if the meleagris is making runs at the ornate.
It was hard to tell how much of a size difference there was until I actually put the ornate in the acclimation box, in the display tank.
There is a pretty big size difference. The meleagris is bigger around and longer.

This meleagris was picked on pretty hard by a transitioning male bipartitus that was in the tank a month ago.
Until I managed to remove the male bipartitus, I didn't think the female meleagris was going to make it.
But now it seems to be the aggressor.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big of a tank do you have? I'd love to have another Macropharyngodon, but it sounds like there might be trouble. I have a 110 (60x18x24), and a haliochores melanurus.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
How big of a tank do you have? I'd love to have another Macropharyngodon, but it sounds like there might be trouble. I have a 110 (60x18x24), and a haliochores melanurus.
It's the 233 in my signature.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would be a little concerned if the meleagris is making runs at the ornate.

I am too, so I think despite all the trouble I've gone through to get this guy, I'm going to see if someone local wants it.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Parsec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a heck of a time getting pictures of mine. They dont want to be photographed but when im trying to take a picture of something else they photobomb. Oddly enough i have one of the leopard and the psychedelic/tamarind wrasse together.

leopard.jpg

psych.jpg

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Well, somehow during the night the ornate escaped out of the acclimation container.
This morning I moved the sand box ( that was in the acclimation container) back to the quarantine tank, thinking the wrasse was still in it.
I was extremely surprised to see it out swimming around in the display tank.
And yes the meleagris is being pretty aggressive with it.
I'm going to feed the tank a couple extra times over the next few days to try and break up the routine.

R€€F @DD¡ÇT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever heard of a melanarus nipping sps?

My pink pocillopora has been receding heavily in the past few days, I've had it for a year. The melanarus is always nipping it. Could he be the problem? Or is he just eating the already dead tissue?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever heard of a melanarus nipping sps?

My pink pocillopora has been receding heavily in the past few days, I've had it for a year. The melanarus is always nipping it. Could he be the problem? Or is he just eating the already dead tissue?
It is much more likely he is either picking at a corals pest, or small crustaceans attracted to the weakened Coral.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 164 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back