The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to add a few flasher wrasses (different species) to my DT (6'x2'x19") and have a question. I will be quarantining first in my QT, which contains 10 gallons of water (I think it holds over 17 gallons, but I only run 10). I realize it would probably be best to add all three wrasses to the DT at the same time, but that would require all three in the QT together and if something went wrong, I could lose 3 fairly expensive fish. My thought was to add one first, quarantining with other fish that aren't wrasses, and then maybe add two more at the same time later. My DT has a lot of rock... not exactly the proverbial rock wall, but close, and it allows for fish to swim front and backside with some holes that allows them to cut through. My question is, does adding these flashers in this manner make sense?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've shared him before, but it's awesome to watch him flex

Normal everyday c. lubbocki
DSC_8068.jpg

Lighting McQeeen lubbocki
DSC_9176.jpg

DSC_9184-1.jpg
Nice shots. :)
Anyone ever heard of a melanarus nipping sps?

My pink pocillopora has been receding heavily in the past few days, I've had it for a year. The melanarus is always nipping it. Could he be the problem? Or is he just eating the already dead tissue?
Yeah, as TJ said usually they're picking off pests that are causing the actual problem.
I want to add a few flasher wrasses (different species) to my DT (6'x2'x19") and have a question. I will be quarantining first in my QT, which contains 10 gallons of water (I think it holds over 17 gallons, but I only run 10). I realize it would probably be best to add all three wrasses to the DT at the same time, but that would require all three in the QT together and if something went wrong, I could lose 3 fairly expensive fish. My thought was to add one first, quarantining with other fish that aren't wrasses, and then maybe add two more at the same time later. My DT has a lot of rock... not exactly the proverbial rock wall, but close, and it allows for fish to swim front and backside with some holes that allows them to cut through. My question is, does adding these flashers in this manner make sense?
Use an acclimiation box when adding the others later, and that plan sounds fine.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever heard of a melanarus nipping sps?

My pink pocillopora has been receding heavily in the past few days, I've had it for a year. The melanarus is always nipping it. Could he be the problem? Or is he just eating the already dead tissue?

If he's eating pocillpora I'll buy him from you or trade you a melanurus that doesn't eat it.;)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have bugs that the melanurus is eating. Check the pocillipora carefully.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you have bugs that the melanurus is eating. Check the pocillipora carefully.

I agree. Another possibility is that when an individual polyp is closed on a stylo or pocillipora it looks kind of like a bug. My H. biocellatus gets confused by this a lot on my stylo.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Macropharyngodon ornatus, or Halichoeres ornatissimus? Fine on the former, no on the latter.

What would be the problem with adding a Halichoeres ornatissimus?

I also have a 4" Halichoeres melanurus in the tank.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm ready to add my last few fish to my display. I'm looking at a C. Laboutei fairy wrasse. I already have a C. solorensis and c. Rubrimarginatus (Pink Margin) in the tank. Do you think the C. Laboutei will be okay with those two?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be the problem with adding a Halichoeres ornatissimus?

I also have a 4" Halichoeres melanurus in the tank.
The temperament of H. ornatissimus can usually be comparable to the devil. :p
So I'm ready to add my last few fish to my display. I'm looking at a C. Laboutei fairy wrasse. I already have a C. solorensis and c. Rubrimarginatus (Pink Margin) in the tank. Do you think the C. Laboutei will be okay with those two?
Refresh my memory on the size of your tank? (I know you've told me before - I have a hard time keeping everyone straight o_O)
But, probably. laboutei can get aggressive with age though.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I guess that's the end of that idea.
Go with biocellatus if you're after those colors.
claudia is also a lot less aggressive than ornatissimus, but hard to distinguish when younger unless the collection region is known.

lilchris_357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The temperament of H. ornatissimus can usually be comparable to the devil. [emoji14]

Refresh my memory on the size of your tank? (I know you've told me before - I have a hard time keeping everyone straight o_O)
But, probably. laboutei can get aggressive with age though.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll just need to keep an eye on things as they all grow up, but you will likely be fine.
I saw those listed on LA under the fish only category. I like them
LA isn't very consistent on which category they put Halichoeres, and it tends to change with time too. o_O
They're as reef safe as H. chrysus is.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've shared him before, but it's awesome to watch him flex

Normal everyday c. lubbocki
DSC_8068.jpg

Lighting McQeeen lubbocki
DSC_9176.jpg

DSC_9184-1.jpg
Some good-looking fish!

alshayazoo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. I currently have an H. Leucoxanthus, H. Chrysotaenia, and a P. Hexataenia that all get along well. I would like to add a M. Negroensis. Would these be compatible together?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for some advice. I currently have an H. Leucoxanthus, H. Chrysotaenia, and a P. Hexataenia that all get along well. I would like to add a M. Negroensis. Would these be compatible together?
I would be wary adding a leopard to a tank with a Pseudocheilinus species.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast - Have a female blue star leopard about 3.5-4 inches in DT and a smaller male in QT currently . Do you think I can add the male safely ? The male is around 2-2.5 inches .
The female is very timid in nature and minds only her own business .
Definitely there will be acclimation box in use when transferring to DT .

Regards,
Abhishek

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back