The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wrasse goldmine has landed at my lfs :( Being in Australia some of these wrasse I haven't seen in five years so it could be a rather expensive weekend haha a few on my list that I've been desperately waiting for too!!

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @evolved - What species of Macropharyngodon can be kept with a 4 inch female bipartitus. I got a male but returned it while it was still in QT out of fear of the female killing it .

Regards,
Abhishek

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@eatbreakfast @evolved - What species of Macropharyngodon can be kept with a 4 inch female bipartitus. I got a male but returned it while it was still in QT out of fear of the female killing it .

Regards,
Abhishek
As long as they are females, any of the Macropharyngodon species should work. Though I would recommend multiples and using a social acclimation box.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A wrasse goldmine has landed at my lfs :( Being in Australia some of these wrasse I haven't seen in five years so it could be a rather expensive weekend haha a few on my list that I've been desperately waiting for too!!
We're going to need pictures [emoji16]

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. Isosceles (C. cf lanceolatus) and c. (cf) lunatus together? Same complex I know but being a reasonably peaceful complex will I get away with it?
Unless the tank is over 6' long, you won't get away with it longterm.
Yup; it won't work I'm afraid.
Wondering what the odds are a juvenile/female Golden Rhomboidalis Wrasse turning male over time? It would be the only wrasse in the tank. Thinking of getting one as it is half the price of a male.
Highly likely.
Given that wrasses need multiple feedings per day, how do people manage this? I have an auto feeder, but it only uses pellets, so i usually have frozen in the morning before work, pellets around noon, and then frozen when i get home. anyone figure out how to give frozen automatically?
I feed frozen once an hr every hr after I come home from work until lights go out.
I pretty much do the same and feed frozen a couple times during the evening. My lighting schedule is shifted towards the evening anyway so I can enjoy the tank, and I don't at all try to evenly space feedings out during the day.

Regards,
Abhishek
As long as they are females, any of the Macropharyngodon species should work. Though I would recommend multiples and using a social acclimation box.
Agree; my thoughts are the same.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many wrasse would you say could live comfortably in a 120? I added both a Lubbock and a McCoskers flasher to the list bringing the total to 7 wrasse.
Depends on the particular species, but it is possible to have as many as 10+ wrasses in a 120.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for a scott's wrasse to calm down?

I have one in QT. He's been fine since Saturday, almost a week. I get home from work and he darted, jerked, possibly hit the rocks and is now hiding. I am not sure if I scared him or something is wrong. I don't see anything physically wrong with him except he's breathing heavy. I did a water change, then turned the lights down and is leaving him alone.

I am going to trade him in tomorrow.. would stink if something happens to him overnight

Last edited:

MaddReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like my adult lightning wrasse. Picture really does no justice. He is about 7 inches. you dont see many adults.

IMG_0450.JPG

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long does it take for a scott's wrasse to calm down?

I have one in QT. He's been fine since Saturday, almost a week. I get home from work and he darted, jerked, possibly hit the rocks and is now hiding. I am not sure if I scared him or something is wrong. I don't see anything physically wrong with him except he's breathing heavy. I did a water change, then turned the lights down and is leaving him alone.

I am going to trade him in tomorrow.. would stink if something happens to him overnight
A fairy wrasse can be skittish for as short as day or as long as a couple months. In most cases a week or two generally is enough for one to settle down.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a C. solorensis in my 150 gallon and I would like to add several more fairies. Ideally, I'd like to add them all at once, but I hate to spend thousands on fish at one time. Could I add a C. lineatus and H. chrysus (with acclimation box) and then later add in C. exquisitus, C. Bathyphilus, and C. rhomboidalis?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a C. solorensis in my 150 gallon and I would like to add several more fairies. Ideally, I'd like to add them all at once, but I hate to spend thousands on fish at one time. Could I add a C. lineatus and H. chrysus (with acclimation box) and then later add in C. exquisitus, C. Bathyphilus, and C. rhomboidalis?
That should work. Is there any way that you could add the flip flop the rhomboid and lineatus? They are the most closely related out of your list, but rhomboids are a little smaller and a little more peaceful.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work. Is there any way that you could add the flip flop the rhomboid and lineatus? They are the most closely related out of your list, but rhomboids are a little smaller and a little more peaceful.

I was thinking about bumping the rhomboidalis, actually, as my wife isn't a big fan. Maybe I will plan on replacing the rhomboidalis with something in the Johnsoni complex.

I'm just worried about the solorensis mailing the lineatus, as he has been the only fairy in the tank for a while and he would be the only fairy added. Is this fear unfounded as they are distantly related?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about bumping the rhomboidalis, actually, as my wife isn't a big fan. Maybe I will plan on replacing the rhomboidalis with something in the Johnsoni complex.

I'm just worried about the solorensis mailing the lineatus, as he has been the only fairy in the tank for a while and he would be the only fairy added. Is this fear unfounded as they are distantly related?
I know solorensis have a bad rap, but mine is the most timid of all. My lineatus is the king. So it has been my experience once they're settled it may work. My exquisitus is more aggressive than my solorensis.

Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to add the H. chrysus, the lineatus, and the exquisitus at the same time, I think (in an acclimation box). Hopefully that will diffuse aggression and the other two aren't as expensive as the lineatus.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been disappointed in my C. exquisitus. Kind of bossy (not problematic though) and has lost a lot of color already despite a varied diet. Kind of wish I'd gone with aurantidorsalis or cyanopleura.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back