The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found my exquisitus to have gained some color, he's a fat little hyper torpedo. But he doesn't look anything like the pictures, very little green and a white spot on his nose. Not great shots, but he's down on the right corner. He's pretty small compared to the lineatus and solorensis, doesn't bother anyone. I feed mainly black worms and mysis.

af448ec7e6dce73f6a192675546117bf.jpg
e87a5f7e6f099238bb9ce5db0e3673a1.jpg
c6d744c754a33f8bf65bc123c4463cbb.jpg

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank Ocelaris!

Mine has definitely lost some intensity in color despite 3 other fairy wrasse in the tank. I feed LRS, Hikari mysis, nori, NLS pellets. Wish I had a local source for black worms! Sorry for the bad picture, my cell phone camera is messed up.

oNDRobc.jpg

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a good catch! My lfs had a magma wrasse on sale for 150, but I was worried he'd clash with my flame. Honestly I think the isoceles is my favorite looking wrasse, but I've never seen one in person.

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recommended against me getting a green coris wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse. Any agreement or other opinions?
I'm wanting a few wrasses for their color and movement. I have a 57 gal 36x18x20 tank.. I like yellow and green coris wrasse, yellow fin fairy wrasse, malanurus wrasse, and six line wrasse. really looking for maybe 3 eventually.
Opinions on a good colorful wrasse stocklist??
I have two fancy clowns and plan on getting an angel or smaller tang as well.

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS recommended against me getting a green coris wrasse and a yellow coris wrasse. Any agreement or other opinions?
I'm wanting a few wrasses for their color and movement. I have a 57 gal 36x18x20 tank.. I like yellow and green coris wrasse, yellow fin fairy wrasse, malanurus wrasse, and six line wrasse. really looking for maybe 3 eventually.
Opinions on a good colorful wrasse stocklist??
I have two fancy clowns and plan on getting an angel or smaller tang as well.

He's partially right! I'd avoid the green wrasse altogether. They can have a pretty nasty attitude and are not nearly as pretty as adults as they are as juvies. I have a good friend who's just spent 6 weeks trying to catch hers due to it killing any other fish added to the tank. The yellow Halichoeres wrasse is just the opposite. While beautiful as a juvie it's stunning as an adult with the "sunset" stripes on it's face. It is also very laid back. Mine was not a problem with any of my other wrasses even as a 6" adult.

As far as a stock list, the size of your tank limits you a little. I would think any flasher wrasse would be fine (with the possible exception of the Eight Line). Any of the possum wrasses would be good and the smaller fairy wrasses(Lubbock's, yellow fin and their relatives) would be good.

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's partially right! I'd avoid the green wrasse altogether. They can have a pretty nasty attitude and are not nearly as pretty as adults as they are as juvies. I have a good friend who's just spent 6 weeks trying to catch hers due to it killing any other fish added to the tank. The yellow Halichoeres wrasse is just the opposite. While beautiful as a juvie it's stunning as an adult with the "sunset" stripes on it's face. It is also very laid back. Mine was not a problem with any of my other wrasses even as a 6" adult.

As far as a stock list, the size of your tank limits you a little. I would think any flasher wrasse would be fine (with the possible exception of the Eight Line). Any of the possum wrasses would be good and the smaller fairy wrasses(Lubbock's, yellow fin and their relatives) would be good.

Thanks!! Didn't know the green wrasse colors dull out so I'm glad you gave me more input.

Are six lines more aggressive toward other wrasses or fish that can't take up for themselves? I want one but he'd obviously be added last if I got him. I always hear they are aggressive but the only one i've ever had was very laid back and never bullied anyone

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are not compatible with any other wrasses (I know...there are always exceptions). If you have a six line it should be your only wrasse. It might not play nice with other fish, but this is less likely. That whole genus is best left alone IMO.

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six lines are not compatible with any other wrasses (I know...there are always exceptions). If you have a six line it should be your only wrasse. It might not play nice with other fish, but this is less likely. That whole genus is best left alone IMO.

Okay thanks! The six line I was referring to was the only wrasse I had in the tank so that makes sense. Glad this thread is here!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a good catch! My lfs had a magma wrasse on sale for 150, but I was worried he'd clash with my flame. Honestly I think the isoceles is my favorite looking wrasse, but I've never seen one in person.
We've had a couple of flame wrasse here in Australia but the cool factor of having a yet to be described species won me over! lol and he's a little tiny fish too and I love those! You have to be lucky here to get what you dream about, I've been dreaming about pintails for a long time so when I got a message from my lfs saying he was getting some I was instantly sold, regardless of price lol. It's probably the only time I'll opt for a male fish too, there was a female as well but the male is stunning so I had to get him instead haha. I would say I'm one of the firsts in the country to own a magma, pintail and rhomboid and certainly the only person in the country with all three haha

ReeferMadness80G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found my exquisitus to have gained some color, he's a fat little hyper torpedo. But he doesn't look anything like the pictures, very little green and a white spot on his nose. Not great shots, but he's down on the right corner. He's pretty small compared to the lineatus and solorensis, doesn't bother anyone. I feed mainly black worms and mysis.

af448ec7e6dce73f6a192675546117bf.jpg
e87a5f7e6f099238bb9ce5db0e3673a1.jpg
c6d744c754a33f8bf65bc123c4463cbb.jpg

Beauty! Are those T5s? What's ur combo if so?

phytofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dottybacks typical get along with wrasses? Purple and orchid dottyback with yellow coris wrasse, yellow fin fairy, melanurus, maybe some flasher wrasse?

As i posted above, I don't have any wrasse yet, still getting a stock list together

saltyhog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any experience with dottybacks but they are pretty aggressive and unlikely to play nice with similarly shaped fish (basslets, wrasse). Maybe someone who knows them better can comment.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do dottybacks typical get along with wrasses? Purple and orchid dottyback with yellow coris wrasse, yellow fin fairy, melanurus, maybe some flasher wrasse?

As i posted above, I don't have any wrasse yet, still getting a stock list together

I have a dottyback & several wrasse - he's a jerk, basically just likes to be a bully if he can - no damage but if i were to do it over i'd take a proper royal gramma over a dottyback. They co-exsist okay but the dottyback seems to have a bit of a damsel like attitude.
The wrasse i have in with him:
1 x Hoavens Wrasse
1 x Blue Star Leopard Wrasse
1 x Tamarin Wrasse
1 x Cleaner Wrasse
1 x Lemon Merangue Wrasse
1 x Red Coris Wrasse
1 x Femininus Wrasse
2 x pintail wrasse

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about bumping the rhomboidalis, actually, as my wife isn't a big fan. Maybe I will plan on replacing the rhomboidalis with something in the Johnsoni complex.

I'm just worried about the solorensis mailing the lineatus, as he has been the only fairy in the tank for a while and he would be the only fairy added. Is this fear unfounded as they are distantly related?
Some solorensis are well behaved, some are jerks. Using a social acclimation box and adding a few wrasses simultaneously can diffuse aggression.

Most dottybacks can be problematic with wrasses, but some that are well behaved include orchid, elongatus, and coccinacauda.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back