The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can a yellow coris wrasse, longfin fairy wrasse and a six-line wrasse coexist in a 30 gallon? The only other fish in the tank is a lawnmover blenny.

They have been in the tank for a week now and are coexisting peacefully. The yellow coris is almost 4 inches long and is the tank boss. The longfin fairy wrasse is about 2 inches long and the six-line is just over an inch long.

Is my tank overstocked? I wanted to add one more fish. I was thinking of a Lubbock's fairy wrasse.

Last edited:

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Round two with Potters tomorrow. Going to pick it up from TSM Aquatics. Fully qt and eating. I divided tank Display in half With egg crate leaving only a little leopard and clowns on one side while Potters gets adjusted.

Hope this is the one. Nervous and so excited at the same time.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blueside fairy wrasse and solon fairy wrasse
The blue side and solon are in the same complex, so that worries me a little. Is the tank big enough for them to coexist? We'll see what the experts think.
Right - those are in the same complex, and I would be hesitant to try them together as well.
Can a yellow coris wrasse, longfin fairy wrasse and a six-line wrasse coexist in a 30 gallon?
Unfortunately, no. And the tank is not large enough for any of those species.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank is appropriate for them? Is upgrading to a bigger tank in a year an acceptable option or should I just re-home them?
The sixline, as a Pseudocheilinus, is not compatible with other wrasses. But I do agree with LA's recommendation of 55g or more.
H. chrysus needs at least a 40 breader, but 55 or more is better.
And C. rubeus needs 55 or more.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Is C. rubeus the same as C. rubriventralis? Mine was labeled C. rubriventralis. I couldn’t get a good picture of the fish yet to post in the id thread. They look very similar.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is C. rubeus the same as C. rubriventralis? Mine was labeled C. rubriventralis. I couldn’t get a good picture of the fish yet to post in the id thread. They look very similar.
They are different species, but the two were split a few years back. Rubriventralis isn't collected - all those sold are actually rubeus now.

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new C. rubeus.............
Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-3.jpg

Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-4.jpg

Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-2.jpg

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want a small colorful six line wrasse for my new mixed reef with tons of liverock and caves and nooks and crannies ... it will love this.

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just killed my 4th exquisite wrasse. He jumped out while spot feeding some corals. Fins are a bit torn, but no other outside damage. He's breathing heavily and swimming vertically, his tail keeps sinking to the bottom. Right now he's hiding somewhere in the liverock. Spinal injury? Anything I can do to help him or is it a lost cause?

So far I've lost 2 to spinal injuries and another jumped through the tiniest hole. Found him a few days later all dried up.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just killed my 4th exquisite wrasse. He jumped out while spot feeding some corals. Fins are a bit torn, but no other outside damage. He's breathing heavily and swimming vertically, his tail keeps sinking to the bottom. Right now he's hiding somewhere in the liverock. Spinal injury? Anything I can do to help him or is it a lost cause?

So far I've lost 2 to spinal injuries and another jumped through the tiniest hole. Found him a few days later all dried up.
Oh wow.. that’s awful.. :(

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ok, it's 10 am here and the lights just came on. He's swimming around in a corner and actually looks to be sort of okay. The wavemaker in that same corner is pulling his tail down, so I turned it off. His tail does go down a bit, but not as dramatically as the previous spinal injury cases. He still eats like a pig and seems like he has some trouble with the strong current.

I took a video, but it's taking forever to upload it. Will edit my post in a bit.

Last edited:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new C. rubeus.............
Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-3.jpg

Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-4.jpg

Cirrhilabrus-rubeus-2.jpg

One of my favorite wrasses, I just lost one for the third try, not sure I will I will try again.. Will keep enjoying them from a far, by the awesome photos posted here. Really love thier personality..... Beautiful Fish.......

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few pictures of my Male China Wrasse. Normal coloration first then nuptial coloration. He strutting a lot in the late afternoons, but fast and hard to take good pictures.
chinawrasse2020090501male-jpg.1768514

chinawrasse2020090503male-jpg.1768515

chinawrasse2020090504male-jpg.1768516

Nuptial coloration
chinawrasse2020090509malenuptial-jpg.1768523

chinawrasse2020090510malenuptial-jpg.1768524

chinawrasse2020090508malenuptial-jpg.1768522

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back