The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

TSM Aquatics

GBRsouth

View Badges
Reaction score
Our local club president was in Dallas to pick up an angel he had ordered and the store had 3 radiants. He wanted two and picked up the other for me. They were tiny....no more than 1.5" but all three sailed through QT with zero issues. Mine is now approaching 3" in size. He is a great addition to my tank.

LOL! My yellow tang does the same thing! I don't know what I did to hack him off!

If you look close you can see his scalpels erect! My Radiant is in the video too.

I wonder if the fish can see it's own reflection in the camera lens? If not you get to join the club above!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
LOL! My yellow tang does the same thing! I don't know what I did to hack him off!

If you look close you can see his scalpels erect! My Radiant is in the video too.

LOL! He definitely has a beef with you! Your radiant is cute in that video. I also noticed your awesome earmuff!

Crabby48

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
OMG! My radiant does something similar! She darts to the front of the tank and does a weird twitching spazzy thing against the glass and splashes water when I walk into the room. The first few times I thought what the heck is wrong with her? She’s been doing it for months so I just chalk it up to her being super excited to see me (aka getting fed) LOL!
the salt creep can get bad some weeks down the glass from splashing. My radian doesn’t eat much Or show much interest compared to other wrasse.

This is fish communication for"I am not happy that you have not fed me yet you lazy servant!"
My potters can’t bend to far he is so fat. Such a hog.

Our local club president was in Dallas to pick up an angel he had ordered and the store had 3 radiants. He wanted two and picked up the other for me. They were tiny....no more than 1.5" but all three sailed through QT with zero issues. Mine is now approaching 3" in size. He is a great addition to my tank.

The yellow is in love. That’s is flirting at its finest

LOL! He definitely has a beef with you! Your radiant is cute in that video. I also noticed your awesome earmuff!
Nice catch with the earmuff I had to go back and rewatch

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
I wonder if the fish can see it's own reflection in the camera lens? If not you get to join the club above!
He does it every time....camera/phone or not! I think he just doesn't like me. LOL.

My earmuff is one of my favorite fish. I've had him over 5 years. This is him as about a 3" youngster.

Ear Muff 2 (1 of 1).jpg

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Question. I got a leopard, Melanurus, and six line wrasse in tank now. Could I add a couple
More wrasses?

list I want to add.
1-2 fairy (taking suggestions)
Blue star leopard wrass
Yellow choris
Can I add any flasher wrass?

this work?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Question. I got a leopard, Melanurus, and six line wrasse in tank now. Could I add a couple
More wrasses?

list I want to add.
1-2 fairy (taking suggestions)
Blue star leopard wrass
Yellow choris
Can I add any flasher wrass?

this work?
Hi! What size is your tank? How long have your current wrasses been in the tank? Your six line worries me, the majority of them don't accept new wrasse additions.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hi! What size is your tank? How long have your current wrasses been in the tank? Your six line worries me, the majority of them don't accept new wrasse additions.
It’s a Red Sea 525xl. I just recently finished fallow and fish have been back in tank for about 2.5 weeks. I had the six line first and added the other two wrasses after it a bout 4 months ago and he didn’t seem to mind them. He chased the Melanurus for a little bit but then fine.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
It’s a Red Sea 525xl. I just recently finished fallow and fish have been back in tank for about 2.5 weeks. I had the six line first and added the other two wrasses after it a bout 4 months ago and he didn’t seem to mind them. He chased the Melanurus for a little bit but then fine.
I don't suggest getting any fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you have a six line. Six lines have a Napoleon complex that doesn't go well for fish that are easily dominated. You could try the yellow coris. There are more halichoeres wrasse options too. As an alternative to the blue star, ornate leopards are feistier and can handle some chasing better than blue stars. Whatever you decide to get, I recommend adding more than one at at time it'll curb potential aggression if they're not singled out as the new guy. Using an acclimation box to introduce them into your DT helps too.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I don't suggest getting any fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you have a six line. Six lines have a Napoleon complex that doesn't go well for fish that are easily dominated. You could try the yellow coris. There are more halichoeres wrasse options too. As an alternative to the blue star, ornate leopards are feistier and can handle some chasing better than blue stars. Whatever you decide to get, I recommend adding more than one at at time it'll curb potential aggression if they're not singled out as the new guy. Using an acclimation box to introduce them into your DT helps too.
So if I caught the six line and rehomed, could I add fairy’s and flashers? Do you have any recommendations on what kind would go well together? They are all pretty beautiful to me but I am overwhelmed by the options lol.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
What other halichoeres options are there? Got names I can look up that are reef safe? Thank you so
Much by the way and really appreciate your time and help!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
So if I caught the six line and rehomed, could I add fairy’s and flashers? Do you have any recommendations on what kind would go well together? They are all pretty beautiful to me but I am overwhelmed by the options lol.
You definitely have more options if the six line is gone. Liveaquaria has a nice listing of commonly available flasher wrasses you can check out. There are so many fairy wrasses to choose from! This thread has a great chart listing the available fairy wrasses and their compatibility with each other: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

BRS

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
What other halichoeres options are there? Got names I can look up that are reef safe? Thank you so
Much by the way and really appreciate your time and help!
Some of my favorites are H. melasmapomus (earmuff), H. biocellatus (red lined), H. iridis (radiant), and H. cosmetus (adorned).

Crabby48

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
That’s EXACTLY what my radiant does!!! Mine is half the size of yours so she doesn’t look as mad as yours does LOL!!!
Ah good to hear. He is a beast. He started bouncing of rocks, sand, glass and overflow box some nights when he really started to color up. Now this. Love the little dude.

My sand bed hasn’t ever been cleaner

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Was planning to get one once my new tank was ready, but I couldn't resist this guy at my LFS. Knowing that they're quite rare over here, I decided to get him anyway. A nice and FAT timorensis wrasse:
20210423_122459.jpg
20210423_122453.jpg

He blends right in. Eats, swims around and no aggression at all. He didn't even go into the sand bed :D

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting
TSM Aquatics

HOW MUCH DO YOU LIKE ZOANTHIDS?

• LOVE them

Votes: 420 44.5%
  • Like them

Votes: 258 27.3%
  • They're "ok"

Votes: 179 19.0%
  • Don't like them

Votes: 50 5.3%
  • Hate them