The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which leopards did you end up going with? Any pics? We love seeing them!
I got 4 blue star leopards. Here are a couple of pics. I could not get all 4 in the same frame.

Attachments

• IMAG2632.jpg
    IMAG2632.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG2633.jpg
    IMAG2633.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 47

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 4 blue star leopards. Here are a couple of pics. I could not get all 4 in the same frame.
Very nice! Hopefully one transitions to male for you.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I got a leopard, Melanurus, and six line wrasse in tank now. Could I add a couple
More wrasses?

list I want to add.
1-2 fairy (taking suggestions)
Blue star leopard wrass
Yellow choris
Can I add any flasher wrass?

this work?

Rudefish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Hopefully one transitions to male for you.
That was the intent with buying 4 and hopefully the transition will happen sooner rather than later. I have heard where it could take a long time for some and for others, relatively quickly.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. I got a leopard, Melanurus, and six line wrasse in tank now. Could I add a couple
More wrasses?

list I want to add.
1-2 fairy (taking suggestions)
Blue star leopard wrass
Yellow choris
Can I add any flasher wrass?

this work?
Hi! What size is your tank? How long have your current wrasses been in the tank? Your six line worries me, the majority of them don't accept new wrasse additions.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! What size is your tank? How long have your current wrasses been in the tank? Your six line worries me, the majority of them don't accept new wrasse additions.
It’s a Red Sea 525xl. I just recently finished fallow and fish have been back in tank for about 2.5 weeks. I had the six line first and added the other two wrasses after it a bout 4 months ago and he didn’t seem to mind them. He chased the Melanurus for a little bit but then fine.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a Red Sea 525xl. I just recently finished fallow and fish have been back in tank for about 2.5 weeks. I had the six line first and added the other two wrasses after it a bout 4 months ago and he didn’t seem to mind them. He chased the Melanurus for a little bit but then fine.
I don't suggest getting any fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you have a six line. Six lines have a Napoleon complex that doesn't go well for fish that are easily dominated. You could try the yellow coris. There are more halichoeres wrasse options too. As an alternative to the blue star, ornate leopards are feistier and can handle some chasing better than blue stars. Whatever you decide to get, I recommend adding more than one at at time it'll curb potential aggression if they're not singled out as the new guy. Using an acclimation box to introduce them into your DT helps too.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't suggest getting any fairy or flasher wrasses as long as you have a six line. Six lines have a Napoleon complex that doesn't go well for fish that are easily dominated. You could try the yellow coris. There are more halichoeres wrasse options too. As an alternative to the blue star, ornate leopards are feistier and can handle some chasing better than blue stars. Whatever you decide to get, I recommend adding more than one at at time it'll curb potential aggression if they're not singled out as the new guy. Using an acclimation box to introduce them into your DT helps too.
So if I caught the six line and rehomed, could I add fairy’s and flashers? Do you have any recommendations on what kind would go well together? They are all pretty beautiful to me but I am overwhelmed by the options lol.

coralkurd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other halichoeres options are there? Got names I can look up that are reef safe? Thank you so
Much by the way and really appreciate your time and help!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I caught the six line and rehomed, could I add fairy’s and flashers? Do you have any recommendations on what kind would go well together? They are all pretty beautiful to me but I am overwhelmed by the options lol.
You definitely have more options if the six line is gone. Liveaquaria has a nice listing of commonly available flasher wrasses you can check out. There are so many fairy wrasses to choose from! This thread has a great chart listing the available fairy wrasses and their compatibility with each other: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/c...feriority-need-not-apply-1st-revision.322326/

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other halichoeres options are there? Got names I can look up that are reef safe? Thank you so
Much by the way and really appreciate your time and help!
Some of my favorites are H. melasmapomus (earmuff), H. biocellatus (red lined), H. iridis (radiant), and H. cosmetus (adorned).

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick video of radiant. Camera shy so he wasn’t as bad

That’s EXACTLY what my radiant does!!! Mine is half the size of yours so she doesn’t look as mad as yours does LOL!!!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s EXACTLY what my radiant does!!! Mine is half the size of yours so she doesn’t look as mad as yours does LOL!!!
Ah good to hear. He is a beast. He started bouncing of rocks, sand, glass and overflow box some nights when he really started to color up. Now this. Love the little dude.

My sand bed hasn’t ever been cleaner

Bars

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was planning to get one once my new tank was ready, but I couldn't resist this guy at my LFS. Knowing that they're quite rare over here, I decided to get him anyway. A nice and FAT timorensis wrasse:
20210423_122459.jpg
20210423_122453.jpg

He blends right in. Eats, swims around and no aggression at all. He didn't even go into the sand bed :D

OdinPrime

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see several folks here are keeping six line wrasses with others. I have two tanks that I am consolidating down into one. I will be adding a small six line into my other aquarium with a slightly larger melanarus wrasse. Will adding the six line be an issue do you think? He is currently housed in a 40 cube with just a red hawkfish, and there has been no aggression issues as of yet.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pintail jumped into the corner overflow box again on Friday. He is always shooting around the tank like a torpedo. Makes me nervous during feeding. So I decided to net him out today. What a PITA. Pulled the Durso and drained the box. Guess what I found down there sitting next to the pintail? My Lineatus that I thought jumped and was gone 16 days ago. Just sitting there with his eye glued on me! These wrasses can hide in plain site.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pintail jumped into the corner overflow box again on Friday. He is always shooting around the tank like a torpedo. Makes me nervous during feeding. So I decided to net him out today. What a PITA. Pulled the Durso and drained the box. Guess what I found down there sitting next to the pintail? My Lineatus that I thought jumped and was gone 16 days ago. Just sitting there with his eye glued on me! These wrasses can hide in plain site.
Oh wow! Glad you found your lineatus! Time to cover that overflow box with some mesh!

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s everyone’s opinion adding a lineatus to a solar wrasse in a 75. Thinking that could be Dicey as they mature.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 57.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back