The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a proper pic of the fins and spots.
Screenshot_20210716-103158__01.jpg

Probably Oxycheilinus bimaculatus, or some other Oxycheiinus sp., but I am not as much of a wrasse expert as others here.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have introduced a group of 4 different wrasses of the cirrhilabrus family a few months ago.
There´s one guy who´s acting like an a**hole. lately and killed another wrasse and 2 anthias.

I bought them as a less agressive species in the lfs, according to evolved´s cirrhilabrus chart. I suspect it was misidentified by the store. Could it be a C Naokae?

I cought him, can I keep him in the trap for overnight? The tank will be dark untill I go to the lfs tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
20210706_191040.jpg
20210710_184311.jpg

Yes, that looks like Naoko's to me. They can be pretty aggressive. What was it sold to you as?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I have introduced a group of 4 different wrasses of the cirrhilabrus family a few months ago.
There´s one guy who´s acting like an a**hole. lately and killed another wrasse and 2 anthias.

I bought them as a less agressive species in the lfs, according to evolved´s cirrhilabrus chart. I suspect it was misidentified by the store. Could it be a C Naokae?

I cought him, can I keep him in the trap for overnight? The tank will be dark untill I go to the lfs tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!
20210706_191040.jpg
20210710_184311.jpg

It's not a Naoko, it is a social fairy wrasse, C. rubeus, and they are generally aggressive towards conspecifics.

FishRFriendsNotFood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a Naoko, it is a social fairy wrasse, C. rubeus, and they are generally aggressive towards conspecifics.
I´ve looked into the rubeus and yes, its definitely this wrasse! What should I do with it? I´ve already caught it once gave it a time out in QT and gave it a second chance now. Still some agression towards others... I´m afraid it knows my trap now...

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ve looked into the rubeus and yes, its definitely this wrasse! What should I do with it? I´ve already caught it once gave it a time out in QT and gave it a second chance now. Still some agression towards others... I´m afraid it knows my trap now...

How big is your tank? I have kept several social's and while they chased, never did they cause harm. I currently have a 4" terminal social in my 300 with 5 others, and he is the dominant, but never causes any damage, just lots of flashing and posturing.

All the spike fin fairies were labeled as C. rubriventralis until a few years ago. Lots of places still label them the same.
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/10/27...s-are-the-two-newest-species-of-fairy-wrasse/

FishRFriendsNotFood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I have kept several social's and while they chased, never did they cause harm. I currently have a 4" terminal social in my 300 with 5 others, and he is the dominant, but never causes any damage, just lots of flashing and posturing.

All the spike fin fairies were labeled as C. rubriventralis until a few years ago. Lots of places still label them the same.
https://reefbuilders.com/2016/10/27...s-are-the-two-newest-species-of-fairy-wrasse/
They are in a 125g, I think enough places to hide. The original plan was to add a few more fairy wrasses, can I still do that?
Maybe it divides the agression

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E7E3DA40-E2A2-472C-8468-902BDAC1FB5C.jpeg
My possum wrasse is coloring up nicely. The first week he was pretty pale with stress. He has a quirky little personality, eats pods like a pig, and still scared of the camera but loves to swim around.

:) He’s eating some flake food here and there, so I think we’re off to a great start.

He’s my second attempt at a possum wrasse, the first was a white banded who just disappeared

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just posting a happy day for me. Got one of my favorites finally
650AE460-C330-4D51-B18E-E4800674DD7D.jpeg
Nice! Golden rhomboid wrasse right? Did you get this locally or online? There's a store with a couple super males available and I'm thinking of getting one, but they're on the other side of the country, and I know wrasses, especially sand-burrowing ones, can be horrible shippers.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Golden rhomboid wrasse right? Did you get this locally or online? There's a store with a couple super males available and I'm thinking of getting one, but they're on the other side of the country, and I know wrasses, especially sand-burrowing ones, can be horrible shippers.
I got her online at reefprostore.com. I’ve only had good experiences with them and got really healthy fish already eating frozen foods. They also shipped me a yellow coris which does bury in the sand and was really healthy too. They seem to take good care of the fish they sell and pack and ship them really well. This rhomboid survived a 2 day delay

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got her online at reefprostore.com. I’ve only had good experiences with them and got really healthy fish already eating frozen foods. They also shipped me a yellow coris which does bury in the sand and was really healthy too. They seem to take good care of the fish they sell and pack and ship them really well. This rhomboid survived a 2 day delay
2 day delay holy. That would drive me up the wall and through the ceiling. I think I'm going to hold off. Most of the fish I get from this vendor have been fine, but I ordered a radiant wrasse and a yellow canary a while ago, and neither survived past day 3. It probably doesn't help that neither of those are great shippers, but at $450+ I don't think I'm willing to take the risk...

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 day delay holy. That would drive me up the wall and through the ceiling. I think I'm going to hold off. Most of the fish I get from this vendor have been fine, but I ordered a radiant wrasse and a yellow canary a while ago, and neither survived past day 3. It probably doesn't help that neither of those are great shippers, but at $450+ I don't think I'm willing to take the risk...

I have bought quite a few fish with Reef Pro and TSM. I wouldn't hesitate to buy with either. However, I would never buy a Radiant again unless they are healthy at the lfs. The larger they are, the poorer they ship imo.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought quite a few fish with Reef Pro and TSM. I wouldn't hesitate to buy with either. However, I would never buy a Radiant again unless they are healthy at the lfs. The larger they are, the poorer they ship imo.
Unfortunately I'm in Canada, and the border won't open for another month or so at least. I think I'm going to call it quits on the radiant wrasse for a while... I asked one of my LFS to bring in a radiant wrasse for me. They brought in 8. not a single one survived in the store past a week.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they quarantine before selling their fish?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they quarantine before selling their fish?

They used to have that option. Now they spend at least a week conditioning (I believe in copper) and make sure they are feeding. They get quite a few of the rarer fish like Johnson's and Earl's wrasse, and they interest in them must be so high that they bagged the QT. Buyers probably didn't want to wait the month.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used to have that option. Now they spend at least a week conditioning (I believe in copper) and make sure they are feeding. They get quite a few of the rarer fish like Johnson's and Earl's wrasse, and they interest in them must be so high that they bagged the QT. Buyers probably didn't want to wait the month.
I always wanted a rhomboid wrasse and recently considered buying one. I don’t understand why the super males are more expensive buy quite a lot. Wouldn’t the “normal” males become that color in the future?

ARCkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with wrasses is pretty limited. I have an exquisite fairy wrasse in QT right now and it is my first fairy wrasse. He scared the crap out of me this morning and I'm still not sure whether I should be worried about him.

This morning when the tank lights came on, I found him upside-down, wedged behind the overflow box. I thought he was dead, but soon realized he was still gilling - in fact I felt his respiration was fast. I was afraid of an ammonia spike, but I had just done a formalin treatment yesterday and it interferes with the salicylate ammonia test I use, so I did a large water change just to be safe. As I was siphoning, he came out from behind the overflow and was acting normal. I offered food after the water change and he ate just fine. I kept a close eye on him the rest of the day and didn't notice any problems.

I know some wrasses sleep in odd positions and sometimes wedge themselves between rocks, etc... Being a QT tank, it has a bear bottom and just a few pieces of PVC pipe for hiding. Since he has been fine all day, is it likely he was just sleeping and he felt secure behind the overflow?

Back