The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice wrasses! Love your black leopard! As long as your Meleagris is able to eat and your black leopard isn’t driving her back into the sand things should settle down soon. Keep us posted!
Things seem to be a little better. There’s no nipping. Kind of a half done chase where the black one will maybe start to chase the other one and after a heartbeat stops. And the new one is slowly moving around the tank more and more. I think when I have more fish it will get even better. I’ve had just 3 wrasses 2 baby clowns and a lawnmower blenny in 100 gallons. When the fish are more together it the distractions seem to diffuse things. And I just added this guy. And in 10 days I’ll add my last batch of 5 fish. Decided to just put the rest in at once. There seems to be so many opinions on how to do things. I’d rather have less territoriality as it gets more crowded. But everybody stays out all day and eats like pigs. Seems to be better so I’m hopeful. I’ve seen real nastiness with a 6 line that just got worse and worse. Definitely not like that at all. Anyway here’s my new blue flasher. Love him so far.
7825EE0C-5794-41F6-9428-D4DECA8C6BC3.jpeg

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a recommended QT method for wrasses? Do they do OK with cupramine? Or is one of the other copper products better suited for wrasses?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wrasses have been doing this for the last hour. Is this happy or angry behaviour?

Not happy - they're sparring with each other. Two males of the same halichoeres species rarely tolerate each other, it looks like you're going to have to rehome one before the fighting gets serious.

Cunning_plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not happy - they're sparring with each other. Two males of the same halichoeres species rarely tolerate each other, it looks like you're going to have to rehome one before the fighting gets serious.
dang. They took a while to settle in originally but I thought they were ok now I’d moved to the bigger tank.

getting them out should be exciting.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmm. I normally go 30 days, but I don't have any experience QT'ing a wrasse.
I don't use copper anymore, but for years I used chelated copper (i.e. coppersafe, copper power) wrasses handle it better than ionic copper. QT'ing them in 2.25 - 2.50ppm for 14 days is fine for wrasses as long as you maintain your copper level. After the 14 days you can transfer them into another clean QT then begin your fluke treatment.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I try to keep the copper to a minimum so I transfer to another tank for prazi/observe 2wks and then DT.

I ramp the copper up within 24hrs; start at 0, half dose, second half dose. Hanna checker. Haven't lost a wrasse yet, but certainly I am no expert and still have time to fail!

I use metroplex concurrently and use a bag of seachem matrix (store multiple in DT sump ready to go) to deal with ammonia. Prime works safely with the Copper Power if something goes haywire.

Pscha4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added these two yesterday, I have a Carpenters Flasher as well. Came in from Dr. Reef and so far everyone seems to be settling in. I was worried about the Lineatus at first, he found a spot and literally stayed vertical without moving for 2 hrs. Everyone’s eating and roaming the entire tank. 41C5D5E5-656F-4BF5-8A33-9B6F311B7AC6.jpeg BF32647D-424A-4880-A95B-722C0688E7C8.jpeg 88063D07-E8CE-4748-A583-021A8FB4B707.jpeg

PacsAdmin77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a FOWLR tank (200-gal) that’s currently home to a 5-inch harlequin tusk wrasse. The HTW has been established for almost 3 years. I’m thinking about adding a Coris aygula of the same size to the tank. Is that advisable?

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a McCosker's flasher wrasse a couple days ago. He bickered a bit with the squaretail bristletooth initially but was left alone after that. He eats well and was swimming around well. This morning, as the lights were ramping up, I saw him zipping around the top of the tank like a cat at 3am. Is this normal? He ate readily when I fed him, and I see no signs of illness or anything of that sort. Here's a quick video. He seems to be displaying for something, but I don't know what. Is he just letting everyone know he's top dog?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. He's flashing, hence the name. Got excited about something; another fish, food, you...

Gorgeous coloring!

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I didn't know they zoomed around like that. He's still at it. I just fed the tank and he's eating very well, but goes back to zipping around the back of the tank once the food's gone. Strange little guy. Hopefully he calms down soon, or just doesn't hurt himself.

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my supermale C. laboutei yesterday. Will they color up in the presence of other fairy wrasses or will they need to be around conspecifics?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my supermale C. laboutei yesterday. Will they color up in the presence of other fairy wrasses or will they need to be around conspecifics?
He may be stressed and needs to settle in. This was the case for my pintail. Did you get this from Reef Pro? Any pics?

DVal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry, I should have clarified. Yes, he was a little pale due to stress. I was asking just in general about the males displaying brighter colors around other fairy wrasses in general? Or will they only do that with other Laboute's? I got it from New Wave. Don't have any good pics yet. Still being shy

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 line don’t play nice with anybody. Can’t tell you the best wrasse. Your yellow probably will do something. But I’ll warn anybody who will listen never to play with the 6 line. And I know I’m not the only one here.

So when I was the fish shop a few weeks ago and discussing my flatworm issue. They suggested against a spotted mandarin that I was also considering as my tank was unlikely planted with copepods yet and didn't want to starve it out. They had a melanarus there but it was roughly the same size as my yellow and I didn't want to risk it.
That said... I ended up with a very small six line.

Figured if I got something smaller it might be okay, so far... thankfully it's paid off and it's fit in okay (after some initial attacks from some of the inhabitants that damaged it's tail fin to pull it in line). Now it seems to know it's place and is doing okay in the tank and everyone getting along as usual and have been for a couple weeks. Thankfully.
Things might change later with other new additions if it happens but will have to deal with that then.

I'll chuck a pic up when I'm able. It's quite a little worker, always hunting for things on corals/rocks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back