The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

ChiCity

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
eventually they’ll be out and about, once they settle.
exploring every inch of your tank!

2A9BDB2D-9ADC-4D46-B6C3-1608B3B8C635.jpeg

(get a lid if you don’t have one already…)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eventually they’ll be out and about, once they settle.
exploring every inch of your tank!

2A9BDB2D-9ADC-4D46-B6C3-1608B3B8C635.jpeg

(get a lid if you don’t have one already…)
The earlei and mutant fairies are stunning. Your earlei looks nice and fat :)

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was Able to Get some Pics, This was supposed to have been terminal Phase male Splendid, So I will be addressing with LA in the AM, Bought from DD, not what I paid for. My Carpenter under rock, and finally got a nice shot of my Blue Star....

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpeg
    IMG_0319.jpeg
    230.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    240.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0288.jpeg
    IMG_0288.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 46

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added the Feminine Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses femininus)

1F3E061C-D545-4E82-9A8C-03E61B18F7F7.jpeg

to my following collection:
- China Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus)
- Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
- Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
- Solar Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
- Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
- Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus)
- Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)

421DE1F4-0452-41A8-9600-D392D690BA3C.jpeg
49806A33-526E-4B91-8E96-98DC7678FBDE.jpeg
8CD8DFCF-BE24-4393-83EA-5C031595E7BF.jpeg

Every month or so, I will continue to do so, especially the Anampses and Halichoeres family.

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently added the Feminine Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses femininus)

1F3E061C-D545-4E82-9A8C-03E61B18F7F7.jpeg

to my following collection:
- China Tamarin Wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus)
- Radiant Wrasse (Halichoeres iridis)
- Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres melanurus)
- Solar Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus solorensis)
- Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura)
- Mystery Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus ocellatus) 150
- Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse (Labroides dimidiatus)

421DE1F4-0452-41A8-9600-D392D690BA3C.jpeg
49806A33-526E-4B91-8E96-98DC7678FBDE.jpeg
8CD8DFCF-BE24-4393-83EA-5C031595E7BF.jpeg

Every month or so, I will continue to do so, especially the Anampses and Halichoeres family.
With the Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura, do you mean what is now known as Cirrhilabrus chalasai?
Also, beautiful tamarin, hopefully you can manage to keep her longterm and not suffer any issues :)
Was Able to Get some Pics, This was supposed to have been terminal Phase male Splendid, So I will be addressing with LA in the AM, Bought from DD, not what I paid for. My Carpenter under rock, and finally got a nice shot of my Blue Star....
You did in fact get a Cirrhilabrus isosceles however instead of a terminal phase it appears you got a transitional phase male.
As for the Carpenters, it looks like you instead got a mccoskeri however if you can try to get a photo of an extended dorsal fin then it would be much easier to ID.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the Cirrhilabrus cf cyanopleura, do you mean what is now known as Cirrhilabrus chalasai?
Also, beautiful tamarin, hopefully you can manage to keep her longterm and not suffer any issues :)

You did in fact get a Cirrhilabrus isosceles however instead of a terminal phase it appears you got a transitional phase male.
As for the Carpenters, it looks like you instead got a mccoskeri however if you can try to get a photo of an extended dorsal fin then it would be much easier to ID.
Thanks for the heads up on Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse, see attached “not my photo”. Do you reckon it belongs to Cirrhilabrus chalasai.

04B361DD-31F6-40DE-8745-0D11499E1301.jpeg

BTW, what else should I be looking for keeping the feminus tamarin? I got it from a fellow that had her for close to a year. It’s eating very well and not hiding, even brave enough to steal from the carpet anemone (that’s my biggest fear for her life at the moment). I’m feeding Dr G medicated Dewormer food (Praziquantel) periodically. All my wrasses ate like pigs, without the slightest aggression to each other. But I gotta admit, I feed heavy, very heavy.

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks will try get a better shot of the Carpenters/Mccosker. Thanks for the correction

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on Ruby Head Fairy Wrasse, see attached “not my photo”. Do you reckon it belongs to Cirrhilabrus chalasai.

04B361DD-31F6-40DE-8745-0D11499E1301.jpeg

BTW, what else should I be looking for keeping the feminus tamarin? I got it from a fellow that had her for close to a year. It’s eating very well and not hiding, even brave enough to steal from the carpet anemone (that’s my biggest fear for her life at the moment). I’m feeding Dr G medicated Dewormer food (Praziquantel) periodically. All my wrasses ate like pigs, without the slightest aggression to each other. But I gotta admit, I feed heavy, very heavy.
That photo you’ve shown does appear to be what recently got changed from being known as C. solorensis to C. chalasai. It’s like Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa recently being separated from Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis

With the femininus, you will need to keep watching for any signs of an issue, even internal parasites. If she continues to eat but starts getting thin then that’s a huge sign of disease. She doesn’t seem to show any pinching going on but it’s rather hard to see with the photo (Obviously, wrasses hate photos and prefer to swim away at high speeds). In the photo you got she looks nice and healthy which is always the best way to start with a wrasse as sensitive as Anampses femininus or Macropharyngodon choati. I personally don’t recommend QTing the fish (Even if it wasn’t QTed already) as it often just kills and does more harm than good.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks will try get a better shot of the Carpenters/Mccosker. Thanks for the correction
No worries!
If you’ve got a mccoskeri then on it’s dorsal fin he will only have one filament whereas a Carpenteri would have several. The reason I suspect Mccoskeri is due to how much black is on the fins, Carpenters don’t have a ton of black however the black fin mccoskers have a ton of black that is very obvious.

Saltees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That photo you’ve shown does appear to be what recently got changed from being known as C. solorensis to C. chalasai. It’s like Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa recently being separated from Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis

With the femininus, you will need to keep watching for any signs of an issue, even internal parasites. If she continues to eat but starts getting thin then that’s a huge sign of disease. She doesn’t seem to show any pinching going on but it’s rather hard to see with the photo (Obviously, wrasses hate photos and prefer to swim away at high speeds). In the photo you got she looks nice and healthy which is always the best way to start with a wrasse as sensitive as Anampses femininus or Macropharyngodon choati. I personally don’t recommend QTing the fish (Even if it wasn’t QTed already) as it often just kills and does more harm than good.
Yes, I’ve learnt NOT to QT wrasses early into the hobby; very high mortality rate, sometimes death within the first 3 hour of QT even from seemingly healthy fishes at the LFS. Since then I’ve been feeding heavy with Mysis soaked in Dr G’s medicated food (DEWORMER or ANTI BACTERIAL), as long as they eat, I have been 100% successful.

Last edited:

AZReef13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries!
If you’ve got a mccoskeri then on it’s dorsal fin he will only have one filament whereas a Carpenteri would have several. The reason I suspect Mccoskeri is due to how much black is on the fins, Carpenters don’t have a ton of black however the black fin mccoskers have a ton of black that is very obvious.
Awesome thank for all the information on that, when I saw a store it had a black tail did notice much black on other fins until I saw photo.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ladies and gents... I lost a few wrasses with the temp rehome, planning to dunk water back in the 120g by Thursday and I'm wondering what should I pursue with my current combo...

Christmas Wrass
Lubbock's wrass
Melanurus wrasse
Coris wrasse

I'm planning a replacement pencil wrasse for sure, in the 120g. Any other suggestions? May leave the melanurus & coris wrasse in the 50g along with a pair of skunk clowns.

TIA.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright ladies and gents... I lost a few wrasses with the temp rehome, planning to dunk water back in the 120g by Thursday and I'm wondering what should I pursue with my current combo...

Christmas Wrass
Lubbock's wrass
Melanurus wrasse
Coris wrasse

I'm planning a replacement pencil wrasse for sure, in the 120g. Any other suggestions? May leave the melanurus & coris wrasse in the 50g along with a pair of skunk clowns.

TIA.
I wouldn’t leave the coris in the 50g as they are nasty once they age. Other suggestions for wrasses;
Halichoeres iridis & Cirrhilabrus naokoae
Paracheilinus attenuatus and/or cyaneus
Pseudojuloides severnsi pair
Macropharyngodon bipartitus and/or negrosensis
If you can find one, Cirrhilabrus earlei

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get some more flashers in here!
These are a few nicer photos of my hybrid (Still unknown what he is a hybrid of). So far what I have found is:
- He has 2-3 filaments - it’s hard to count them as he only really shows them when displaying and he very rarely displays, often he starts to display after the naoko starts his display which isn’t too often.
- He has a very deep purple/red “box” on his dorsal fin, it starts about 2 thirds up the dorsal. This also has a rather faint blue line all the way along where the dorsal meets the main body.
- His anal fin is a rather deep yellow colouration, with a line of electric blue spots somewhere along the dorsal fin just above the blue outline. The blue outline I’m on about is very similar if not the same to the outline seen on my C. lubbocki in the above photo. The shape of his anal fin and pelvic fins (along with some of the pattern on the anal fin) match that of Paracheilinus bellae.
- When he displays he shows a stunningly blue dorsal, it looks completely blue and shows no other colours. As for the other colours that he goes when in full display it’s hard to see as with heavy blues they wash out most colours except the blue.
195935A9-0B44-4546-BD6F-B2967F660EB3.jpeg

54A8ABBE-3368-47F8-8019-3E19C8D6BFA5.jpeg

7887A333-8A82-41AD-A19E-5E0A7F8CE2E1.jpeg

3E8ECBB4-824C-4DD1-8E01-3DF8C7B5ED3E.jpeg

DCE6268B-9331-4078-B9EF-08AE08F9FA92.jpeg

Combinations that have been assumed so far (in order of what is assumed more likely);
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus flavianalis
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus flavianalis x Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus rubricaudalis x Paracheilinus lineopunctatus

The bottom two being the newest added, I have also thought about it being a potential Paracheilinus cyaneus hybrid but I’m open to other suggestions of what this specimen could be :)

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s get some more flashers in here!
These are a few nicer photos of my hybrid (Still unknown what he is a hybrid of). So far what I have found is:
- He has 2-3 filaments - it’s hard to count them as he only really shows them when displaying and he very rarely displays, often he starts to display after the naoko starts his display which isn’t too often.
- He has a very deep purple/red “box” on his dorsal fin, it starts about 2 thirds up the dorsal. This also has a rather faint blue line all the way along where the dorsal meets the main body.
- His anal fin is a rather deep yellow colouration, with a line of electric blue spots somewhere along the dorsal fin just above the blue outline. The blue outline I’m on about is very similar if not the same to the outline seen on my C. lubbocki in the above photo. The shape of his anal fin and pelvic fins (along with some of the pattern on the anal fin) match that of Paracheilinus bellae.
- When he displays he shows a stunningly blue dorsal, it looks completely blue and shows no other colours. As for the other colours that he goes when in full display it’s hard to see as with heavy blues they wash out most colours except the blue.
195935A9-0B44-4546-BD6F-B2967F660EB3.jpeg

54A8ABBE-3368-47F8-8019-3E19C8D6BFA5.jpeg

7887A333-8A82-41AD-A19E-5E0A7F8CE2E1.jpeg

3E8ECBB4-824C-4DD1-8E01-3DF8C7B5ED3E.jpeg

DCE6268B-9331-4078-B9EF-08AE08F9FA92.jpeg

Combinations that have been assumed so far (in order of what is assumed more likely);
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus flavianalis
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus rubricaudalis
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus flavianalis x Paracheilinus lineopunctatus
- Paracheilinus filamentosus x Paracheilinus rubricaudalis x Paracheilinus lineopunctatus

The bottom two being the newest added, I have also thought about it being a potential Paracheilinus cyaneus hybrid but I’m open to other suggestions of what this specimen could be :)
Nice pics of your flasher! I don't have any new pics of my flasher just a recent one.

03162022.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back