The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually doing the same thing. Put a piece of rock from my QT system to the DT when I need to remove some of the Fauna and Flora from the QT system. This is what happened to my rock as I place it into the DT from my QT system over 3 days.

Day 1. the CBB hunting pods and worms on the rock along with the Foxface having a feast. One can really see the round stomach of the Foxface
AlgaeRockDay1.jpg

Day 2
AlgaeRockDay2.jpg

Day 3. The rock will go back to the DT. Not everything was wipe out so it will regrow quickly.
AlgaeRockDay3.jpg

The tusk looks like he missed out!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually want to say you have a marisirubri as the dorsal and anal fins go rather far back compared to a normal bipartitus but to confirm it a photo of her dorsal fin being open completely would be useful.
Maybe?! Based on what I read on the Jake Adams article https://reefbuilders.com/2013/05/16/red-sea-leopard-wrasse-species-macropharyngodon-marisrubri/ sadly enough and looking at it it definitely has a dorsal fin that goes all the way to the tail. I had no idea the Red Sea Leopard existed. Learn something new everyday. Thanks @i cant think

IMG_2347.jpeg IMG_2207.jpeg IMG_2143.jpeg IMG_2140.jpeg

Last edited:

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
58646A86-6C55-4970-A227-1486E2D218E8.jpeg
FB6B3422-245E-4E06-B451-9F1761E39D2C.jpeg

I love that my love supports me in my hobby. So when she tells me she loves a fish I want to see if I can get them. Does anyone know what these are?
The wrasse is a Halichoeres timorensis female whilst the top fish is actually a Filefish (Orange Spotted Filefish in particular).

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anampses meleagrides the yellowtail tamarin wrasse. I'm seeing these available and pre-quarintined which gives me hope it will do well. The problem I see is it's listed as a 9" wrasse. Is it a peaceful community fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anampses meleagrides the yellowtail tamarin wrasse. I'm seeing these available and pre-quarintined which gives me hope it will do well. The problem I see is it's listed as a 9" wrasse. Is it a peaceful community fish?
Although it’s size is rather large this is actually one of the most peaceful wrasses out there IME.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested too see how these femininus wrasses do in warm reef tanks. Though we don't seem to have an issue with some deep water anthias either.

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested too see how these femininus wrasses do in warm reef tanks. Though we don't seem to have an issue with some deep water anthias either.
My early observations from the last 2 years of having mine...

With most wrasse, QT is important especially for worms. Then feeding is key. I noticed early on that my femininus wrasse would get a big full belly 1-2 hours after feeding but it would be back to normal 2-3 hours after. So now I feed a minimum of twice a day with an occasional third.

My feeding regime is two automatic feedings of freeze dried mysis. Then an optional 3rd meal of frozen food (Rods original or krill).

The tank temp bounces between 76-77. 2 years of captive life is not long at all so we will have to see over time!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the flasher seems to be beginning to stand up for himself. He went into what appeared to be a half display tonight (unfortunately lights are too blue to get photos). The part where his dorsal meets his body became a blue stripe (potentially a white stripe but got overpowered by blue lighting). The dorsal also went slightly blue although not completely blue but the main body looked normal. His anal fin also went slightly redder however I didn’t get much of a view of that as I was too focused on his dorsal fin.

He did this just before diving into the rock to go to sleep. It really wasn’t much of a display and only seems to be half of the display I have seen in the past when his colours completely changed to blues and purples.

World Citizen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basic Halichoerus Chrysus

He is just in last week. He needed to fight of the Percula which was bothering him, but after a week he is starting to be himself. He now plays with the Percula and has found his place. I am struggling with reflections so for now this is the best pic I could do.

Halichoerus-Chrysus.png

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to add a Anampses meleagrides (yellow tail tamarin) to a tank with the following?

Melanurus
Lineatus fairy
Ornate leopard
Exquisite fairy
Radiant

Tank is 6’, 180 gallon display (total system volume of 225g)
You should be alright however the Ornatus and Melanurus wrasses may show some form of dominance.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back