0   0   0

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell the difference but I think it might be. IMG_7728.png
My picture really shows her off, but I'm seeing a bit flatter/shorter dorsal fin when I look at her swimming laterally, so I'm thinking bipartitis. Also a bit more orange coloration than red, although I don't know if that's just a photography thing or not.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve now spent half an hour trying to see the dorsal fins to determine which species they are ‍♀️
Yours looks like bipartitus to me. Got another photo of him under whiter lighting?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She is peeking saying it’s the food monster! Hmm should I come out and see if it will feed me
She and the exquisite firefish are the shy ones in the tank. M. bipartitis just goes about hunting all the time, sometimes even comes to the glass to check on me. H. chrysus mostly darts away when I turn the flow off and pipette goes into the tank, but she comes right out once the lid is back on.

Here I just dumped in about 18hr worth of baby brine shrimp hatchlings. They go NUTS.

jkcoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She and the exquisite firefish are the shy ones in the tank. M. bipartitis just goes about hunting all the time, sometimes even comes to the glass to check on me. H. chrysus mostly darts away when I turn the flow off and pipette goes into the tank, but she comes right out once the lid is back on.

Here I just dumped in about 18hr worth of baby brine shrimp hatchlings. They go NUTS.

I’ve never hatched/fed brine shrimp, but always thought it might be interesting to try, even if just for the entertainment of watching the fish hunt.

Do you “gut load” the brine or do anything like that?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never hatched/fed brine shrimp, but always thought it might be interesting to try, even if just for the entertainment of watching the fish hunt.

Do you “gut load” the brine or do anything like that?
I bought the hatchery for the wrasses in case they were going to be picky eaters when they arrived from Dr. Reef. At first was planning a whole Poseidon system to culture pods, but that seemed $$$ and a lot of hassle. Then came upon this:
1693423790756.png

Which requires no pumps, no air stones, just water and eggs. Works great. I was surprised by how small the baby brines actually are. You can just see them with the naked eye. But the wrasses can see them. All of the fish go NUTS when I put them in the tank. But I've noticed that the wrasses go after them with laser precision while the clowns just swim frantically opening and closing their mouths (pigs).

I also bought the BRS powder spirulina to "gut load", but I think these are so small that they don't amount to a massive dose of nutrition, so I stopped doing that since it just fouled the water and was more hassle. I read that they have nutritious egg sacs after hatching that are excellent within the first 3 hours, so the day after I seed it, I suck out the baby brine 3x during the day and shoot them into the tank with the pumps on feed mode. That gets a lot of them soon after hatching. In my opinion, it's more of an appetizer for the fish and entertainment for me.

Here they go:

Sorry, paused to film the yasha/pistol who were out being social.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line wrasse and want to get a leopard wrasse. Should the leopard wrasse be bigger so the 6 line wrasse does not attack him?

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the hatchery for the wrasses in case they were going to be picky eaters when they arrived from Dr. Reef. At first was planning a whole Poseidon system to culture pods, but that seemed $$$ and a lot of hassle. Then came upon this:
1693423790756.png

Which requires no pumps, no air stones, just water and eggs. Works great. I was surprised by how small the baby brines actually are. You can just see them with the naked eye. But the wrasses can see them. All of the fish go NUTS when I put them in the tank. But I've noticed that the wrasses go after them with laser precision while the clowns just swim frantically opening and closing their mouths (pigs).

I also bought the BRS powder spirulina to "gut load", but I think these are so small that they don't amount to a massive dose of nutrition, so I stopped doing that since it just fouled the water and was more hassle. I read that they have nutritious egg sacs after hatching that are excellent within the first 3 hours, so the day after I seed it, I suck out the baby brine 3x during the day and shoot them into the tank with the pumps on feed mode. That gets a lot of them soon after hatching. In my opinion, it's more of an appetizer for the fish and entertainment for me.

Here they go:

Sorry, paused to film the yasha/pistol who were out being social.
Same one I use.

I gut load them with phyto and selcon but not always. Definitely guilt load them if I feed adults and not just hatched

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 197 70.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 52 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.9%
Back