The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Question for the pros: I'm pretty sure I can BUT I have an H. Leucoxanthus and an H. Melanurus that will be in the tank. Should I consider adding another sand sleeper in a 35" x 21" x 21" tank?
I probably would not in a tank that size with an already established melanurus, but that's just my opinion. I'd go with one of the smaller fairy wrasses, and maybe a possum wrasse.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I

I probably would not in a tank that size with an already established melanurus, but that's just my opinion. I'd go with one of the smaller fairy wrasses, and maybe a possum wrasse.
That's what I figure as well. Technically he's not established yet because he's in a different tank and may or may not be moving anytime soon. He was in before the Leucoxanthus and leaves him alone but when they move tanks I know hierarchical changes can and will likely occur at which point he will either establish himself or stay calm.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For the record I was totally being the guy that knows the right answer but is looking for permission to justify making a stupid decision. Where are all my enablers???? :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the record I was totally being the guy that knows the right answer but is looking for permission to justify making a stupid decision. Where are all my enablers???? :face-with-tears-of-joy:
My melanurus is perfectly peaceful very occasionally

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a chrysus when you can get a hortulanus!?!?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bird wrasses are all the rage these days!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a yellow coris wrasse when you can get a Twin Spot Coris Wasse!!??!?

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why get a yellow coris wrasse when you can get a Twin Spot Coris Wasse!!??!?
They are so cute when they're small though!

In other news, saw a nice looking 2" chiseltooth wrasse at one of my LFS today. Anyone on here ever kept one?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why get a chrysus when you can get a hortulanus!?!?
Because so far the only wrasses I've had access to locally have been Garnoti, Lunare, Leucoxanthus, Melanurus, and Chrysus. I've seen a couple of Bird Wrasse and one other that I don't remember...

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because so far the only wrasses I've had access to locally have been Garnoti, Lunare, Leucoxanthus, Melanurus, and Chrysus. I've seen a couple of Bird Wrasse and one other that I don't remember...
Well I believe he was joking because a hortulanus is hort in the anus. Almost as bad as a lunare
Edit: that joke did not work at all. Ah well
Not Funny Queen GIF

Edit 2: how about:
Hortulanus is a Latin phrase that translates to “pain in the butt”

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well I believe he was joking because a hortulanus is hort in the anus. Almost as bad as a lunare
Not Funny Queen GIF

Right, but isn't that true of almost all Wrasse?

BadObsession

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Male was able to hold his own and put up a fight but wouldn’t outright go for another Halichoeres.
My female is similar but doesn’t really put up a fight and instead fleas as she’s still small and only ~2”.
Some nice Halichoeres for that tank. Maybe an iridis? @i cant think @Slocke how is iridis on the "nice" scale? I understand H. biocellatus is on the nicer side of Halichoeres (I like the coloration of H. claudia a bit more, though). My H. chrysus is nice, but a bit flighty. Lots of great options in Halichoeres.
Thank you guys! Will check it out/availability.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not Funny Queen GIF

Hortulanus wrasse is what its common name should be!

I’ve been doing labels at my LFS and there’s some fish I do put small jokes within their names. Most recently was a Spacific Sailfin Tang.
Next will be some form of wrasse… maybe Chrysis wrasse.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the most peaceful Halichoeres?
The melanurus? I never hear much about these guys going postal... only them wiping out your CUC, but thats about it.

I know Timors can be real punks, i think Tamav had issues with her's and had to rehome it.

The Yellow Coris? Even tho its not a Coris? Why is it even called coris if its not a coris?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Slocke
The melanurus? I never hear much about these guys going postal... only them wiping out your CUC, but thats about it.

I know Timors can be real punks, i think Tamav had issues with her's and had to rehome it.

The Yellow Coris? Even tho its not a Coris? Why is it even called coris if its not a coris?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I feel @i cant think knows much better then me. It’s definitely not melanurus. That’s my most aggressive and has a bad reputation. I’d go with one of the torpedos like a radiant/iridis, chrysus, or leucoxanthus.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m convinced some ignorant fish store saw a red coris wrasse and decided wrasse are wrasse so let’s call this yellow one a yellow coris.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back