The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have the royal flasher and planning to add lineatus
You shouldn’t have any problems adding the lineatus. Once you get your super male lineatus post some pics of that awesome guy!

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you put a cleaner and fairy wrasse together? Or a flasher and cleaner?
Yes, fairies and flashers can co-exist with cleaner wrasses.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will complete the transition even with another male present. Two male Lubbocks co-existing in your tank is highly unlikely. You’ll have to pick one :(
dang it. Do you have any tips on catching a wrasse in a tank with dozens of bolt holes? I sort of designed this tank with wrasses in mind, and nabbing her is going to be near impossible. Also, out of curiosity, how long does it generally take for a wrasse to transition? I could buy a fish trap but that'd take a couple weeks to arrive since I'd have to order it online.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced it’s a Lubbock’s but I’m far, far from an expert.

@evolved would be a great help.

Fish trap would be the only way to catch. When I had to move my wrasses it was a full tear down. Couldn’t dream of catching them with a net.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it. Do you have any tips on catching a wrasse in a tank with dozens of bolt holes? I sort of designed this tank with wrasses in mind, and nabbing her is going to be near impossible. Also, out of curiosity, how long does it generally take for a wrasse to transition? I could buy a fish trap but that'd take a couple weeks to arrive since I'd have to order it online.
Fairy wrasses aren’t too difficult to catch. I put a large net in the tank and just leave it there all day so the fish get used to it. Don’t feed the tank all day. Once the fish are used to the net, add little amounts of food into the tank closer and closer to the net. Once you’ve lured your target wrasse close to the net dump a large amount of food into the net and quickly scoop your wrasse up. I hope this makes sense. This technic has worked 100% of the time for me when I’ve needed to move a fairy wrasse.

The time it takes a fairy wrasse to complete the transition varies. It could be a few more weeks or months. Once you see the first signs of them bickering you’ll know it’s time to remove one.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not convinced it’s a Lubbock’s but I’m far, far from an expert.

@evolved would be a great help.

Fish trap would be the only way to catch. When I had to move my wrasses it was a full tear down. Couldn’t dream of catching them with a net.
I haven't seen evolved around in a while, but hopefully he's able to pop up and confirm the ID. It seems like a lubbock's to me, based on the line patterns she has compared to the male, but who knows, maybe it's a different, but closely related species?

Honesly, if netting isn't an option I might just leave it to chance. The fish trap costs more than the fish. I'll talk to my LFS and see if they'd be willing to refund me the cost or give me store credit, and go from there I guess.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SaltyT seems confident so perhaps that's the best advice on all fronts. Good luck! Be sure to update us.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are two variants of Lubbock’s, the Indonesian and Philippines (Cebu). The Philippines (Cebu) variant has the same striping along the side as BelieveInBlue’s wrasse.

This article might help ease your doubts:

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy wrasses aren’t too difficult to catch. I put a large net in the tank and just leave it there all day so the fish get used to it. Don’t feed the tank all day. Once the fish are used to the net, add little amounts of food into the tank closer and closer to the net. Once you’ve lured your target wrasse close to the net dump a large amount of food into the net and quickly scoop your wrasse up. I hope this makes sense. This technic has worked 100% of the time for me when I’ve needed to move a fairy wrasse.

The time it takes a fairy wrasse to complete the transition varies. It could be a few more weeks or months. Once you see the first signs of them bickering you’ll know it’s time to remove one.

So basically use a net as the trap instead of buying a plastic fish trap. Sounds promising. I'm going to talk to my LFS on Monday and go from there.
SaltyT seems confident so perhaps that's the best advice on all fronts. Good luck! Be sure to update us.
I took a look at the other wrasses in the same complex as the lubbock's just in case, and none of them matched the patterning on my female, so I think he's right on the money.

There are two variants of Lubbock’s, the Indonesian and Philippines (Cebu). The Philippines (Cebu) variant has the same striping along the side as BelieveInBlue’s wrasse.

This article might help ease your doubts:
Nice. My male also has the striping, but colourwise looks almost like a cross between the two. Funnily enough, the article mentions that females are rarely seen in the aquarium hobby, and yet my LFS managed to bring in a dozen accidentally, thinking they were female exquisite wrasses... Or I might've picked up the only non-exquisite of the bunch because it looked like it was already transitioning. ;Facepalm

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be safe, here's a picture of the male Lubbock's. Can anyone confirm the identity of it?

IMG_2299[1].JPG

IMG_2297[1].JPG

IMG_2296[1].JPG

IMG_2295[1].JPG

IMG_2294[1].JPG

And a side by side comparison of the two. "Exquisite" wrasse on top, Lubbock's below.
IMG_2298[1].JPG

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be safe, here's a picture of the male Lubbock's. Can anyone confirm the identity of it?

IMG_2299[1].JPG

IMG_2297[1].JPG

IMG_2296[1].JPG

IMG_2295[1].JPG

IMG_2294[1].JPG

And a side by side comparison of the two. "Exquisite" wrasse on top, Lubbock's below.
IMG_2298[1].JPG

Boy you can really see the long top line and lower short line in both of them in that pic. I think SaltyT nailed that one.

Nommarune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what wrasse would you suggest for a 30 long. I really like the idea of having one as part of the cuc plus I love the colors. Thanks in advance.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey what wrasse would you suggest for a 30 long. I really like the idea of having one as part of the cuc plus I love the colors. Thanks in advance.
possum wrasse or pink streak wrasse. If you're ok with having the literal devil in your tank, a sixline should be fine too, but will almost certainly take over the tank and bully the crap out of everything added after it.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new wrasse inbound. Not as exciting as SaltyT's additions but I've been waiting a long time for this one.
It’s like being a kid on Christmas morning when that box arrives! Post pics when you get it!!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back