OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st fish in the 80?

There's currently 2 OC Clowns, Watchmen Goby and yellow tail Damsel (dubbed Lucky). My wife named him that as he was my first fish and he'd be lucky if he made it. - LOL

Little Street Cred to 4 golfball size Mexican Turbos in as well.

It's FOWLR since Feb 17. Yea I know - way to long.

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve heard of and know turbo snails are bulldozers. But corals thief’s? That’s a new one! Forest Fire digit going for a ride around the Frag tank. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
5A43FE2D-7A41-4AD5-A143-822DB38FEC45.jpeg
340A516B-D317-4823-894E-9A0CCCB63314.jpeg
2A7A3B73-A3A3-4DA7-A2D5-97B27C7CD2DA.jpeg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw u posted john! How did the digi get attached to the turbo? That's nutty!

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost fell out of my chair when I saw u posted john! How did the digi get attached to the turbo? That's nutty!

Just trying to come out of my introverted shell ! I can go back in if you want, more than happy to ;) bro.

Somehow it wedged its shell between the two branches of the digi, from there the digi was along for the ride.

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's funny. When does the Saltcation start?

Been getting some stuff ready this past week and today. On top of two days of work from home due to the snow. I was laid out with that cold. Just started feeling somewhat normal today. Last day of work for the year is Dec 13th, than its on like Donkey Kong.

Here is a little pre-vacation fish room work! Moved the QT over to the work bench, switched out the T5’s for a AI prime, moved contents of the old Invert QT to a new a new tank with a painted back and bottom.

image.jpg

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 48 hours internal debate in my head. I'm pretty sure the my Pacific Sailfin and Chocolate Tang are going into the Peninsula together this weekend. Now 48 hours of debate in my head if I should pull the clowns out and put them in the sump......

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about 48 hours internal debate in my head. I'm pretty sure the my Pacific Sailfin and Chocolate Tang are going into the Peninsula together this weekend. Now 48 hours of debate in my head if I should pull the clowns out and put them in the sump......
Whats the debate over the clowns? Worried or just a change?

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the debate over the clowns? Worried or just a change?

I would consider the clowns on the aggressive side, they’ve been in the tank with just the other two (goby and damsel) since Feb 2017, they for sure have claimed territory. I m worried they are gonna fight with the Tangs. I’m admittedly not as versed on the fish side of the house as I am with the corals.

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Chocolate Tang is in the 80G peninsula! My son and I finally named the poor fella, Hershey. Pretty clever for an 8 year old, if you ask me.

My concerns about the clowns came to reality. They instantly started ganging up on Hershey so I had pull them out and put them in the sump for now.

Now been trying to catch the Sailfin (Champ) with no luck.... tried using a homemade trap with a 2 liter soda bottle. Had him in there once and as I went to pull it with my net covering the hole, he powered right past it and out of the trap. I was pretty impressed with the strength of the fish. I knew going in this was going to be a boxing match. Champ 1 John 0

Weekend project starting tomorrow, going to finish (hopefully) the stand for the new grow out/fragging system setup.

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are a trick to catch! Really all of them in their own way save for clowns with an anemone. They’re generally easier.

of everything Ive ever caught in a 2-liter trap never a tang.

we need more Hershey Pics too!

Will get some going,. He is still settling in so it's hard to get a nice picture. Maybe I'll be able to get one later today!

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin caught and released into the 80GP yesterday. No aggression whatsoever between the two tangs. What a 3 day fight that was, I even had my father-law hanging out with me in the fish room for like 2 hours as we tried to catch him.

Lots of work done on today on the new stand today. Will provide a good size update in day or two with lots of pics of the build out. I think genius..... @RichtheReefer21 thinks I've done gone crazy!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin caught and released into the 80GP yesterday. No aggression whatsoever between the two tangs. What a 3 day fight that was, I even had my father-law hanging out with me in the fish room for like 2 hours as we tried to catch him.

Lots of work done on today on the new stand today. Will provide a good size update in day or two with lots of pics of the build out. I think genius..... @RichtheReefer21 thinks I've done gone crazy!
Mad scientist.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your chocolate tang looks like my old Mimic tang did when it was young. Mine got huge 6-7" in my old 72BF then into my old 90.

Following along......finally ;)

OP
OP
thejuice24

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your chocolate tang looks like my old Mimic tang did when it was young. Mine got huge 6-7" in my old 72BF then into my old 90.

Following along......finally ;)

Welcome along Fudsey!

They all look kinda the same before they transition. The blue lipped bristle tooth was sold to me as a Mimic Tang, go figure not even the same species. Really hope this one is a Chocolate Tang, when he is changing/showing his colors there is hint of oranges around the gills and belly. Funny thing is if you google either Mimic or Chocolate Tang you come up with the same results. Although I know “mimics” can turn into a variety of different species. For instance a Acanthurus Chronixis is also a Mimic Tang. Just so happens this one transitions into a half black half gray looking fish. It’s actually interesting read if your into going down the rat hole of biology.

I’m hooked on Tangs, I search them more than corals lately.

0D60CC6B-25AD-45F4-8924-FAAB0D8C50AD.png

4BA72E75-2D73-492A-9FBA-27559742FBB3.jpeg

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back