TheKingInYellow goes bare black bottom - 50g SPS dominant!

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how the multibar does. I have never heard of them surviving that long in captivity. But also have never heard of one eating as well as yours is. Looking forward to updates.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It did three weeks in QT just fine. The only thing it didn't seem interested in eating was frozen Spirulina Brine, but it eats flake, pellet, frozen squid, frozen mysis and arctipods just fine. The Foxface and the Angel pick at the rocks in the display together all day now. They are besties.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the current stocklist including the QT inhabitants is:
  • Onespot Foxface
  • Multibarred Angel
  • Sapphire Damsel
  • Chalk Bass
  • Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse
  • Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
  • Coral Banded Shrimp
I'd like to add one more Wrasse, probably a Fairy that will be happy to share the space with the Flasher, but I'm not sure what else. Nothing in the tank is particularly aggressive, the Angel could be but early indications are he's a sweetheart. The Damsel is happy in his cave and shows zero aggression at all. I'd say the most aggressive thing in the tank is the coral shrimp.

Beyond a Fairy Wrasse, any thoughts on maybe one more larger (4"-6") fish that would be a good fit?

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely hitting an ugly stage in the display. Diatoms on the overflow and rock, but no algae to speak of. The Foxface and Angel spend all day picking at the rock and the Coral shrimp seems to enjoy scouring the bottom of the tank.

Nitrates still slowly dropping, closer to about 5 now and all inhabitants are healthy and eating well. If all goes according to plan the coral QT will be set up this weekend and I'll put some LPS in there maybe next weekend. Although this tank is SPS dominant I need some movement in the tank so a few hammers or frogspawn for the bottom are almost a given, maybe some Acans or Favia as well. I expect a 60-90 day QT on my corals so the tank should be ready for LPS by then.

I have a several local reefers to get frags from and one local coral propagator - https://concreteblondecorals.ca/ - to peruse for selection!

Blutspitze

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a great plan, both the livestock and QT process. Should go nicely and looking forward to seeing the results!

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost the Foxface overnight. I'm more than a little frustrated after the effort I put into this tank, quarantine time, designing and printing the guard, and still lost a healthy fish.

So made the call and I'm swapping to a pair of MP40s. LFS only had one in stock today though so my tank is currently gorgeous.

20191005_155044.jpg

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too much to add. Still a bit of diatoms in the display but no algae to speak of. No algae growth in the RAIN2 Algae Scrubber though either which is a bit annoying. Tank nitrates are sitting around 5-10 but I just got my Hanna Phosphate checker so I'll see what's happening there. Nyos skimmer continues to be a beast, I'm taking out a full cup of frothy chunky dark tea every other day.

The new Wrasse and Foxface Mulder the Second are both super healthy and eating like mad, but I think I have the worlds first carnivorous Foxface. He completely ignores his nori clip and goes mad for pellet/flake/frozen meaty items. Weird little dude.

Hope to have them in the display next weekend and then I think I am done stocking fish.

OP
OP
TheKingInYellow

TheKingInYellow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second MP40 came in at the LFS, I have flow again! Also, diatoms. Thought I lost Wee Baby Seamus today too, but it was just a moult stuck to the overflow.

Gotta say this was a happy afternoon. I got the second pump installed, connected to the WXM, and configured for anti sync in about ten minutes. It's been a long time since I touched any equipment in this tank, had everything work on the first try, and it took less than an hour or two.

Progress!

20191017_163212.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back