Go Crazy Wtf GIF

IMG_2684.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Florida themed tank. It's not that pretty, but the animals are all from SW Florida beaches or estuaries or from snorkeling in the Florida Keys. (see the link to snorkeling in my signature below... it's a fun thread). The tank has zoas, gorgonians, stars, rock boring urchins, rock flower anemones, sea cucumbers, CUC and a 3" mantis shrimp.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Florida themed tank. It's not that pretty, but the animals are all from SW Florida beaches or estuaries or from snorkeling in the Florida Keys. (see the link to snorkeling in my signature below... it's a fun thread). The tank has zoas, gorgonians, stars, rock boring urchins, rock flower anemones, sea cucumbers, CUC and a 3" mantis shrimp.
That's a big Ole Florida mantis shrimp! How long have you had it

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my theme is an SPS dominant mixed reef that lacks ALK, no3, and po4 stability!

in all honesty, i'm thinking of switching out my entire fish stock list once i switch over to the 60G cube i plan on building. might do a semi-aggressive tank, or like a goby or wrasse only tank..24" foot print limits what fish i can have though..

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a big Ole Florida mantis shrimp! How long have you had it
At 3" (inches) it's not that big. I've had it for almost a year and it was just 2" when I collected it while snorkeling in the Keys. So far, it's been a pretty good citizen in the tank.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big do they get? I thought florida mantis stayed pretty small
To be honest, I have no idea. Most mantis shrimp we see when we pick up a rock, streak over the sand to another rock and are gone. This one stuck to the rock when I picked it up and then let go. As it was slowly swimming toward the bottom, I put my collection jar under it and brought it home. I'm really happy it's surviving, and even happier it's growing!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your mantis in your tank?? I ordered a florida one from TBS and cant wait for it to come!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your mantis in your tank?? I ordered a florida one from TBS and cant wait for it to come!
Look me up when you get it and we can compare notes. I feed mine every 3 or 4 days along with my RFAs and 2 inherited clownfish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back