Theoretical question: problems with polypropylene aquarium?

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 22, 2021
Messages
9,468
Reaction score
10,923
Location
United States
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!
Not quite sure where this question would belong, so I'm posting it here.

Long story short, I've been looking at a bunch of different plastics, and I'm wondering what problems I might run into (theoretically) if I made an aquarium out of clarified homopolymer polypropylene? From what I've read, it shouldn't leach at all, and, looking at the data for it, it looks like the clarified polypropylene would literally be as clear as glass or acrylic at comparable thicknesses - so there wouldn't be any issues with viewing the tank through it. Additionally it's tensile strength puts it as being stronger than glass (about 1/2 as strong as acrylic). The only thing I've seen that really concerns me about it is the fact that (according to the data I've looked at) the polypropylene would be about twice as flexible as acrylic, which, to my mind, means that it would be twice as likely to bow.

From my admittedly limited knowledge in this field, I understand that that is a major problem for every kind of tank *except* for seamless cylinder tanks (provided you have it on a completely level surface, which you should either way), as the cylinder tanks spread the pressure from the water evenly across the entire tank. (This is probably phrased in such a way as to be technically incorrect, but it should get my point across.)

So, is my thought that a seamless cylinder aquarium of this material should work accurate or not? If not, why not? Also, if I wanted to make a normal (read: rectangular) aquarium with it, what would I need to do (theoretically) to make it work despite the high flexibility?

Thank you!
 
If it would "work" better than acrylic or glass somone would already be making them, presumably.

clase es GIF
 
Polypropylene would be strong enough to handle the water but you’d have serious issues with dimensional stability. It’s significantly more elastic than acrylic as you mentioned; and too soft, if you will. Also it’s less stable dimensionally with temperature than the standard options. Scratches from cleaning would be easy to make.

The idea of a seamless cylinder is good; it would be as close to optimal as possible. But then we go to how is the PP produced; extruded, cast, blown, etc. which result in very different properties.

We could make an aquarium from panes of PP appropriately sized and braced. It would just be an inferior option to the more standard materials.

If you want to do unique polymer tanks, there are various other new, high grade options with excellent physical properties but most aren’t transparent enough. And are prohibitively expensive.

So all in all, PP is just a technically inferior option. And Kris is correct; PP is common and we’d already be using it if it made sense.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.8%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new