Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time line update:
I have a 29 gallon DT thats been fishless cycling w. ammonia and BB. Its just started with the nitrite so i am guessing cycle will be done by EOM (21 days)
In the meantime i am going to set up a small QT (5.5g) for a pair of clowns and maybe some other smallish peaceful fish i plan on purchasing (very small ones) once the cycle is finished.
Going to set up the QT with DT water once cycled (I have to do a water change anyway) so just going make up some extra salwater and add some BB to it.
I would like to keep the fish in QT for the full 76 recommended days.
In the meantime, since the DT will be done cycling i wanted to use that as a QT tank for my CUC (3 snails and maybe an urchin) and maybe a zoa or 2(off plug and pre dipped).
Again want to keep the CUC and coral in by themselves for the 76 days.
Then at day 77, just add the fish to the DT and everyone should be fine? (in theory)
Understanding that i would have to feed the fish and CLOSELY monitor the ammonia due to it being such a small tank (i had it on hand).
I figured its my one opportunity for a "free" QT tank right? Plus these are likely the ONLY fish i will be adding to the tank ever.
Would the CUC/Corals produce enough waste to feed my Bacteria in the DT for the 76 days until i can add the fish?
Or would need to feed the CUC/zoa's from time to time? i am guessing i would but wanted to confirm.
I guess i am looking to get the best bang for the buck. I want to Quarentine due to all the horror stories i have read on this thread but with only 2-3 fish and NO INTENTION of getting more Do i really "need" to?
I am looking at maybe 50$ on fish.
TIA

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week #3 Update
Nitrites are up up up and Ammonia is down to @ .5 at last water check.
Waiting till we get 0 and 0 then going to do a partial WC if needed to reduce nitrates.
Will run a round of ammonia again to confirm conversion in 24 hrs.
Picked out my starter fish list and coral list.
Decided against QT fish overall as impatient and not keeping huge tank or investment in same. Will monitor but not treat in DT.
Will dip corals but no QT there either.
Haters gonna hate.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 4 update
Nitrites are 0 and Ammonia is 0
dosed a bit more ammonia to be sure it cycles out in 24 hrs
if this can happen by the weekend going to to do a h2o change for the Nitrates and grab a fish or 2 no more and maybe a couple softies.
then if all goes well its a 3m sub to the WWC. :) starting after i get back from a trip in mid may. this is a reef tank no more fish unless needed for some strange reason.
Fish will be 1 blue sapphire damsel and a blenny or dottieback. Were doing the peaceful easy thing.
going to get all live stock from LFS. once these guys are going and i see some algae growth i will see about a clean up crew (urchin for sure)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 4 update
Nitrites are 0 and Ammonia is 0
dosed a bit more ammonia to be sure it cycles out in 24 hrs
if this can happen by the weekend going to to do a h2o change for the Nitrates and grab a fish or 2 no more and maybe a couple softies.
then if all goes well its a 3m sub to the WWC. :) starting after i get back from a trip in mid may. this is a reef tank no more fish unless needed for some strange reason.
Fish will be 1 blue sapphire damsel and a blenny or dottieback. Were doing the peaceful easy thing.
going to get all live stock from LFS. once these guys are going and i see some algae growth i will see about a clean up crew (urchin for sure)
Whooo hooo
DSC_0291.JPG

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off and running.
I love that you are being smart and limiting the fish and thus the bio-load for this size tank.
You mentioned an anemone in one of your earlier posts. Please wait for that addition. They need a mature tank (at least 6 months) and high lighting.
Otherwise, let's see some fish pictures.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you are off and running.
I love that you are being smart and limiting the fish and thus the bio-load for this size tank.
You mentioned an anemone in one of your earlier posts. Please wait for that addition. They need a mature tank (at least 6 months) and high lighting.
Otherwise, let's see some fish pictures.
Yes no anemone I changed and decided in 4-6 months to add a hammer or torch instead. I like those better after all. Pics of fishes to come next week. [emoji2]

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First water change today going to do 20% just so i can mark the tank at 10% and 20% and make sure i can time the mixing and rodi production ICE.
Also found another LFS about an hr away so going on a field trip this weekend just to compare to the one 20 min down the road. Ordered some final incidentals, better heater, ammonia badge, glass cleaner, reef roids, dip, coral glue and fish food. should all be here before this weekend.
Need to make sure i have the Acclimation and dip process down before i go on my first adventure.
Silly ? but do i need to add a few drops of ammonia to keep the bacteria happy until Saturday or will it be ok till then. assuming it will be ok but just wanted to check after doing the water change.
cant wait for the fun part to start :)

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Final empty tank upstate. Water change complete 20%.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 10.5 or 185 ppm
Phos 0
Calc 440
Mag unk no test kit.
Using reef salt not regular salt.
So am I ready for a [emoji225] and a coral or 2? Wish me luck.....

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 10.5 or 185 ppm
Phos 0
Calc 440
Mag unk no test kit.
Last empty tank photo. Tomorrow we get critters
_20190426_084629.JPG

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm
Ph 8.2
Alk 10.5 or 185 ppm
Phos 0
Calc 440
Mag unk no test kit.

Good luck!

Not sure how I missed your original post but better late than never!
Oh, being you're "stang67" do you happen to own one? If so, pics?

tenor.gif

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck!

Not sure how I missed your original post but better late than never!
Oh, being you're "stang67" do you happen to own one? If so, pics?

tenor.gif
Why yes, her name is princess. 67 coupe 309 manual spring time yellow. Pics not on phone but have some somewhere. My boyfriend has a 72 Monte his dad has a 32 Ford.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try this

Attachments

• new toy.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 160

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I do not believe you can upload .pdf files with success. They are downloadable but I am always very apprehensive about any downloads. Hope you understand.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe you can upload .pdf files with success. They are downloadable but I am always very apprehensive about any downloads. Hope you understand.
Totally sorry it was the only Pic I had of her readily available. Haven't brought her out yet from under cover. Still too cold and wet out. Maybe this is a sign that it's time[emoji16]

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally sorry it was the only Pic I had of her readily available. Haven't brought her out yet from under cover. Still too cold and wet out. Maybe this is a sign that it's time[emoji16]

Yeah, we've had sporadically beautiful days mixed with ugly ones. They're calling for rain and snow for tomorrow night here. Sucks because it's my daughter's prom.

I downloaded and checked out your Mustang... SWEET!

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can upload pics to imgur (or other hosting platform) and copy that BBC code here to get that picture showing up.

as far as QT. I do not QT, regardless of fish cost or biodiversity.

that being said, i have been reefing for quite a while. if not QT, you need to be sure to provide a muy bueno environment and diet.

stark white rocks and no QT usually do not mix very well.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can upload pics to imgur (or other hosting platform) and copy that BBC code here to get that picture showing up.

as far as QT. I do not QT, regardless of fish cost or biodiversity.

that being said, i have been reefing for quite a while. if not QT, you need to be sure to provide a muy bueno environment and diet.

stark white rocks and no QT usually do not mix very well.
Thanks count. Just going to start with 1 blue sapphire damsel or blue reef chromis. I don't really want any fish to be honest. I'm just in it for the corals. Once I have that one fish a month or so may get 1 or 2 more max. Going to start with a zoa and a gsp on the coral side let those sit for a month and see. That gives me time to practice my weekly water changes including mixing the salt water correctly. I have read up on acclimation and dipping and have everything prepped for that as well. Going with floating then dripping then Bayer and me dip for the coral.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't want fish don't add fish until you figure out some that you want :). Es okay to have a tank with snails, corals, crab and shrimp until you figure out some fish you would like to see.

i would definitely steer away from damsel's and chromis, esp if you dont even want them.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't want fish don't add fish until you figure out some that you want :). Es okay to have a tank with snails, corals, crab and shrimp until you figure out some fish you would like to see.

i would definitely steer away from damsel's and chromis, esp if you dont even want them.
That actually is the only one I do like hahaha. lfs said peaceful. I know they are all unique just like us and not every description applies to every fish. Want to be sure to get some ammonia in to support the bacteria and don't have algae yet for a cuc. So a single fish was my solution. Not a good idea?

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are starting with dry rock, you can feed the tank. and add CUC as needed.

it's not a bad idea, just trying to avoid you adding fish you don't want just to help it mature.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back