Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 day update
I have Pods :) they must have hitched in with the WWC coral I recently got. I hope they stick around as i hear they are a good thing.
Speaking of WWC my stuff is growing like mad. Esp my very first zoa it has 2 more heads on it. I have a feeling its the CBB light since i have switched it over everything seems super happy.
I installed my ATO and that is working great not sure about the "surface skimmer" thing that came with it though. i have that uplugged for now and just the HOB and new powerhead running flow seems really good as everyone is happy. now i am just waiting for the inevitable screw up or crash. I am still testing 2-3 times a week and doing 10% water changes weekly.
fingers crossed i made it through the worst of the "start up" phase.
Is it bad that i am already planning on upgrading the 55g?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General update. Not much has changed noticed a bit more algae so I am juat gonna watch my feeding and lower my lights a bit. Going to purchase a Hanna checker for Phos bc I can't seem to get any to show on the api test I have. Things are going well now we wait for the other shoe to drop.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I'm bored
_20190619_175107.JPG
_20190619_175250.JPG
_20190619_175342.JPG

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went away for an overnight stay and something went wonky with the ato/skimmer thingy i bought. It wasn't set correctly (duh) and instead of recycling water it was sucking air and pumping that in. Nice. I fixed the sensor and reset the top off. Slowly brought the water level back up. It was only a quarter inch low or so, but didn't want to risk it. Ran my tests after and all the levels were on point. Algae has come back though. I know it's the uglies still so I am going to see about a tuxedo urchin and or a couple turbo snails. I have 5-6 hermits but they aren't keeping up with the growth. Cut back on my lights again as well.
One other thing i noticed about a week ago some browning out on my Jack o Lantern lepto. I moved it to an area of less intense light, but to be honest my lights haven't been that strong to start with. Its slowly spreading so i think i may have my first casualty. its not stn bc its not an SPS but i wonder what could causing it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 day update
I had a bout with some uglies recently. got an emerald crab, reduced feeding and light duration saturation. ordered a hanna ulr phos checker after the Salifert one the LFS sold me mysteriously jumped out the window. Who can tell those low light blues apart? Seriously. Anyway. I told myself when I started this that we would just see how things go. I didn't fully invest myself in the hobby to be honest only because i looked at it more as something new to learn and something to keep me occupied and focused. i need to constantly learn new things or else i go bonkers. this was perfect. good news is i love it ( i knew i would really). Bad news is now i have to upgrade. When "they" say go as big as you can its true. I love my "starter" tank 29g. its taught me a lot of what the best way to do things is and what will cause issues. It doesn't take up a lot of room. it forces me to monitor the levels closely and really focus on husbandry. weekly water changes have become normal and have taken over part of my kitchen. It has gotten me into good habits and it has shown me how to be successful without getting frustrated.
So the bad news....time to upgrade. Not right away but were looking at putting a "forever" tank together over the next year. I recently watched Ryan's presentation on the 10 year tank and thought well why not? I plan on being in my house for at least the next 20 yrs barring any unforeseen issues. I don't have any kids or a husband to have to get the approval for anything from. I am only restricted by available space/ weight of tank and the all mighty $$$. So i am giving myself a year to put together the following:
75-100g IM Nuvo Ext w. Stand
40g breeder to make into sump
2 Rubbermaid bins (20g each) for water change station
misc pvc and appropriate fittings
misc lumber for water change station stand
Pump for Water change station
Pump for sump to Dt.
Another cbb light
a couple nice wavemakers
better hanging system for lights
better RODI unit (current 50gpd and 1/4 is not very efficent may not do it but we will see)
potential AWC system
Battery back up system
potential apex for automation of some items

The MAIN ISSUE with the upgrade other than $$$ is the fact that the Sump and water change system will be housed below the DT in the Basement. that's right folks basement sump time. the issues that i have come across already is head pressure. If i put the sump where i want it, it will take a return pump with at minimum 20 ft of head pressure just to get the water from the return to the dt. Not a lot of options. yes there are options (panworld, reefflo, Iwaki, danner) But i haven't figured out how that much head pressure reduces the final amount of flow to the tank. so i may just move the wc/sump set up to a more convenient place that would only require at most 7-10 ft head pressure to get the return to the DT. This is obviously more of a direct shot to the DT and will ultimately be what i end up with i think.
So this will hopefully now turn into a build thread for my new tank with updates on my starter as needed.
I cannot say enough about this forum and the community of people and amount of knowledge that is available. 95% of what i have read has been helpful to me in some way. there was some negativity but that is to be expected in these days and times (not to me just what i read). I cant thank everyone here enough and hope i can continue to be successful with your help and guidance.
till next time....

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First draft.
_20190708_100557.JPG
_20190708_100716.JPG

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while you at it, make the whole area around the sump a fish room of sorts. Include a table you can work on, if you can swing it a sink where you can dump old SW into is awesome. Also makes cleaning equipment a breeze.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
while you at it, make the whole area around the sump a fish room of sorts. Include a table you can work on, if you can swing it a sink where you can dump old SW into is awesome. Also makes cleaning equipment a breeze.
Hey there Count....i do have a utility sink about 10 ft away from this on the other side of the basement. I wanted to originally put the Station and sump there but the run to where the DT is would have been too far $$$. I could move the DT to a different location but it wouldn't be ideal just to be closer to the sink. planning on a table (other than the one i use to fold clothes on) as well to the left of the water change station.
Thanks i am really looking forward to having a new project.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There has been a slight change of plans on the New Build. We're going with the 100g (go big or go home) vs the 75g. Also the "ideal" basement water change / sump location was just going to be too cramped and not allow me to use my laundry shoot. Seriously I am not carrying clothes both down and up the stairs. We are moving it to the other side of the basement (maybe). This is good because it will allow for better airflow and better direct access to the DT directly above it. I have also decided to brace the floor since were going a bit bigger then i planned. This may be a bit of overkill but the house is over 60yrs old and i would just sleep better at night. So some demo has to be done and some electrical and water issues have to be figured out. Nothing worth doing is ever easy right?
I have settled on a 40g breeder for my sump.
I have been researching return pumps (internal vs external) and decided that since its in a cool basement to go internal.
Leaning towards a Danner Mag Drive 18 due to head needed but may only need the 12. Going to be using Flex PVC to run the return so that may help with the flow. Skimmer will be a Reef Octopus Classic 150.
I have also decided to build my own stand. I will start with the Sump stand and then if all goes well will be able to make one for the 100 as well. I am reinforcing the floor anyway so why not?
Other than that the 29 is doing fabulous. No more weird algae issues (Knock on wood) and levels have been very stable. Found out i have sponges too so i am taking that as a good sign. Saw my first tiny bristleworm too. Coral growth is amazing and fish are eating like champs. Haven't seen the emerald crab and think i may have lost her. Found what i thought was a molt but may have been the crab itself, no smell tho (shrugs). So that is what we have for now. Thanks all and have a great day!

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly update
Started compiling items for the water change station. 2 34 gallon brute cans and i ordered my PanWorld 30 external pump for mixing and water changes. I have hit a snag on the tank though. My LFS has a used rimless 80g short (48*24*16) with an internal corner durso overflow. Manufacturer is out of business and they don't make them anymore. Price is nice at 450.00 compared to the dream tank IM Nuvo Ext $1300. I guess my main concern is that its used and a durso w. no emergency drain. Pro to the 80g is the corner plumbing would work better with the basement sump set up, more of a direct shot to the sump. Oh and the price savings helps. I think i just have to think on it a bit more and maybe go and look at it again this week to see if they can do a bit better on the price if I got the skimmer and return pump there as well. First world problems right?

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'm a bit late bit better late than never. Hello and welcome to this great reefing family.

I've read this whole thread and I know there was a few things I wanted to comment on but I need to go find them again just wanted to touch on a few things first.

As others have said and I know you ave had minor issues. You are off to a great start. Just want to say I personally wait about 6-8 months to add corals and longer for anemones. Also, look in to better test kits like RedSea, Salifert and hanna checkers, as these are more reliable than API.

Continue to ask questions and dont think of any question to be to dumb to ask.

The coral you had circled with the red spec, if it is moving around it is probably a flat worm. Any update with it?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi tupes,
Thanks so much for the comments! Minor issues are to be expected its only been about 4 months :) Overall i am pretty happy with the progress and patience. To late for the corals they have all been added piece by piece now and are all doing wonderfully. I am very proud that I am seeing really good growth from 95% of them. Only having issues with a Lepto browning out a bit. Decided against the anemone for now. Maybe in the new build. Did get a Salifert PO tester cant stand the thing and doesn't show any hint of blue. So I did purchase a Hanna Checker and that has been giving better results. Test the same vile 2x and avg the results. My Calc and Alk and Ph are very steady so i haven't updated the test kits for those. Water changes are 5g every week the tank is a 29g. Dealing with random algae now and lost my Emerald Crab to who knows what but that is about it. Just watching what I feed and how long the lights are on. The coral i had circled actually ended up with sponges. They seem to be infesting the tank. Every week i clean some off the sandbed and rock. Hoping they regulate themselves as well.
Thanks again for the response and the community here is pretty awesome.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 month update
The upgrade has officially begun. I got my 2 brute cans, external pump and all the pvc bits for the Water change station. But that's not the exciting part..... Purchased a used 60g frag tank (i know i changed my mind (again)), 40g breeder sump w. baffles and stand for $350. Why? Why go from a 80/120 to a 60? What happened to go big or go home? Well the thought is, at least for now, that this is still bigger then the 29 I have now. Its a bigger footprint so I have more room to expand the coral and get a couple more fish. Its also more of an "intermediate" step and ultimately it all came down to right place right time. I can get this set up with all the same bells and whistles as the larger tanks and when the next upgrade happens I can convert the 60 to a true frag tank in the basement. It saves me some money and it was a "package" deal. I am all into the baby steps idea. Would i have loved to do a 120g FOR SURE. Am I still new and hesitant to go "all in" YES.
The 29g is doing really well. I got a larger clean up crew to help with the GHA I have. Not terrible but still trying to get it all right. Nutrients have been solid and steady the past month as well so I am happy with that. Lost a couple hermits over the past month and a couple of the new Ceriths that came got eaten but other then that life is good in the baby tank. I am still doing 5g water changes every week and checking levels now only 1x per week.
The goal for the 60 is to have it running at the middle of February. I will be transferring the existing rock and stock over but that is a few months away.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Friday All.
Have the plans made up for the 60FT stand and got my Bulkheads in the mail this week. So plan for this weekend (since there is no Nascar race) is to cut all the bits for the new stand, get the bulkhead and durso system roughed up. Also would like to get the stand for the WC area and sump set up so i can rough that plumbing in as well. We shall see how far we get. I have about 10lb of dry rock left over from the 29g that i broke up into smaller pieces and got another 10lbs with the bulkheads from BRS. That combined with the 30ish lbs in the 29 now should be enough for the 60FT. My question is...how do I prep the rocks for the new tank? Keep in mind this wont happen until Feb. From what i have read i can just take the rock out of the 29 and put it in the 60 and add the New rock to the whole thing and all will be fine with no issues or cycle. I only have 3 fish and wont be adding more until the new tank has been up and stable. I would like to break up some of the "live rock" from the 29 into smaller bits as well to make it easier to scape. Maybe leave one rock in the 29 while i break up and set up the new? Will that one rock and sand be enough to keep everything happy? or do i just start with all new and from scratch?

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a lot has been accomplished over the weekend and past couple days.... New tank stand frame. I am planning on skinning it with nice plywood and putting a couple doors on the front. (Dont worry its level.) Plan on painting the outside with decking paint that is waterproof and a pretty brown.

_20190828_084254.JPG
_20190828_084324.JPG

And the basement water change station has been dry fitted and prepped. I also sealed the wood on this stand with Thompsons water seal that I had leftover from a porch project.
_20190828_084439.JPG

Now i need to get the 40g sump and its stand here from over at the boyfriends house to get this all finished in the basement. I will be relocating my Rodi so it will be dumping right into the Brute on the left. the Sump will be going to the right and will feed the 60g frag tank located directly above it one story up. The Stand shown above will be for that tank. There will also be a 5g ATO tank downstairs next to the sump.
I have to get an electrician over to look at the outlets for the basement and the DT upstairs as well. i would like the basement system to be on its own breaker and the upstairs DT to be on its own breaker as well. Issue will be i have old knob and tube so it may be a challenge to do this, so i may end up just running additional new vs converting the old.
We shall see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New build update.....
so i have been planning on getting new floor in the living room and dining room for a few years. It was brand new carpet when i bought the house 10 yrs ago and its showing its age. plus if i am putting in this new 60g and moving the FW 55g may as well look at redoing the floor now vs after all the moving and shaking is done. so i am working on deciding on new flooring. I am getting rid of the carpet. there are 50+ yr old orig hardwoods underneath that i have no idea what condition they are in. I am not willing to refinish them only due to the fact i have the 55 fw and the 29 SW in the area that would have to be refinished, and lets be honest hardwoods aren't water proof. So i am going with some high end vinyl plank and i am doing the entire 1st floor @ 600sq ft. This new build just doubled in cost.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random update. Well November (one more week) will be 7months and wow this little tank has come a really long way. I do have to say that I am pretty proud of how well I have done keeping up with things and monitoring everything. Good news is I have been using the new mixing station and I do love it. I still have to lug buckets but the bins are out of the way and will be really useful once the new system is in place. Speaking of the new build. Stand is coming along, the top and sides are done we're just finalizing the details for the front. But before any of that gets done the floors have to be put it. I have successfully removed the carpet, stick on laminate plank and vinyl sheet flooring. YEAH ME. I have also purchased the new floor. Ohhhhh pretty. And last step is to seal up an old fireplace that is non functioning to have more wall space. I demo'd the brick hearth as well. I cannot wait to get this floor in and get the tanks moved around. Its gonna be like a game of Tetris trying to figure out when and how to move everything but i sure as hell cant turn back now. Goal is to have new floors in by Turkey day.

OP
OP
Stang67

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 months now and i am officially out of room.
A couple weeks back I actually fragged my first Zoas. :eek: And didn't kill myself in the process.
I may be able to sell a couple, so that's nice. I have torn out the fireplace and mantle (see above pix) and will be blocking off that nice hole this weekend as that is the wall that the new 60g will be going on. Then its full steam ahead with the floor.
I have the Dry rock for the 60g in a large Rubbermaid tote with a couple small bits of live rock from the existing 29. I used water from the last water change as well as a powerhead and heater. I am hoping this will be enough to "cure" the new dry rock so that it will be a smooth transition to the new tank. Plus i will be using all the rock from the 29 as well as new "live" sand.
I cant believe things are doing so well for me. I decided that I will be increasing the fish in the 60g as well. I have 2 clowns and a damsel now. so i am thinking of a couple cardinals and something fun (REALLY SMALL yellow tang) a blenny or gobie and a clam. I have given up on the anemone because i have a feeling at some point the 29 will turn into a dedicated anemone tank itself.
Hopefully will have more updates after this weekend.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back