Thermal Reckoning, a Fire in the making...

1. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Turbo's Aquatics R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016 Partner Member Article Contributor

Excellent write-up

143MPCo likes this.
  2. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Partner Member Article Contributor

Thank you!

3. glb

glb Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad

Ok I need a safety check for my new setup. Here's a pic of the acrylic shield I mounted in front of my power strip:
    image.jpeg
    I mounted the power strip behind it as high as I could. All of the cords have drip loops, especially the one to the outlet. I am installing a gcfi outlet before the tank is up and running. In case the sump floods, the water will run out the front or in a hole in the back, ensuring it never reaches any outlet:
    image.jpg
    Is this setup safe? I've tried to think of everything. I'll neaten up the cords.

4. Gino

Gino Well-Known Member

Excellent write, and a great advice for newer reefers. Like I always said... "Safety first and always play in the safest side".

143MPCo and glb like this.
  5. 143MPCo

143MPCo ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad Leader CTARS Member Partner Member Article Contributor

IMO, anything you can do to try and keep things dry and salt creep free is a step in the right direction.

Being that the power strip is under the tank (along with the sump) you risk humidity condensing inside the plugs/power-strip and causing a possible short, you can mitigate that to an extent by ventilating the stand and lessening the risk.

6. 143MPCo

Thank you!

7. glb

If I get a short, will the gcfi protect me?

8. 143MPCo

If you look at it from the point of view that it's the only reason you installed the GFCI, you have reduced the likelihood of a flare up, but GFCIs are notorious for tripping easily (as designed) and some hobbyist choose not to incorporate them based on past experiences with the outlet turning off their entire system. I'm all for safety so better that, than risk a fire that threatens the lives of my family. In addition, GFCI protection devices fail at times, leaving the switching contacts closed and allowing the device to continue to provide power without protection and a real reason to test it regularly or habitually.

9. glb

I'd rather the system turn off than have a fire hazard. That being said, is there anything else I can do to make it safer?

10. glb

So a fan maybe?

11. 143MPCo

This of course is a judgment call anesthetics would have to be taken into consideration but you could look into getting something called an ottoman storage box, they make them in different styles and fashions, and you could move your electronic components out from under the tank, and yet be adjacent to the tank but yet separate.

Yes.

12. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member Article Contributor

You got me thinking:rolleyes: Great write up and thank for putting it out here

143MPCo likes this.
  13. 143MPCo

:cool:oy vey... Hope that's a good thing.:rolleyes:

14. 143MPCo

Thanks man!

jsker likes this.
  15. jsker

jsker Reefing is all about the adventure R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Partner Member Article Contributor

Yes, it is a good thing. I was taught that AC will kill you. I am thinking of moving a few more things around.

143MPCo likes this.
  16. tigé21v

tigé21v Well-Known Member

Something similar has happened to me. Twice. First was when one of my VHO's stopped working. Found the end cap melted. Second was when the powerbar of my old Aquacontroller went up. Luckily, by chance, it happened on a day when I happened to be here in the afternoon. I was sitting upstairs and heard some sort of loud buzzing/grinding noise coming from the basement (tank's location). Got down there to find smoke pouring out of it and a small flame. The powerbar was located under the basement steps. Any other day of the week, and it probably would have burned the place down.
    Odd thing is, in both cases, neither of the GFCI's tripped (different circuits, and both GFCI's were less than two years old at the time).
    I've been really trying to get things cleaned up/organized the past few weeks. I almost feel as if I should be putting some sort of fire resistant backing behind all of the outlet strips and Apex Energy Bars, though I'm not quite sure what I would use.
    Pics of the Aquacontroller energy bar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Floyd R Turbo

Floyd R Turbo Turbo's Aquatics R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor Toys For Kids 2016 Partner Member Article Contributor

@tigé21v is that an Aquatronica power bar/unit?

18. tigé21v

Yessir.
    Or what's left of it....

19. Floyd R Turbo

Did you take it apart to see what might have gone wrong?

20. tigé21v

No.
    It caught on fire... that's all I needed to know.