therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Scubadoo4u

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pacific Wave has a light blue tips, a yellow green base and pink polyps. There is no blue in a Walt Disney (besides the reflection of blue LED light in all the photos online) and it has yellowish polyps.

Ok, that was just a off-the-cuff observation...

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
JF Homewrecker definitely finding its groove again. This is after cutting 4 frags over 1.5" a few weeks ago:

IMG_2428.JPG

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a few pages behind all the people posting Therman's Rainbow, but I wanted to throw in my hat. My mini-colony from a frag Therman sent ~15 months ago:

DSC_1114.jpg

This coral is so hardy. In the time I've had this coral, my tank has gone through some stuff. This coral grew quickly from a frag into a mini-colony, then the bottom half died as hair algae overgrew it. But it persisted, and as the tank started to rebound, the coral turned from brown to green. Then the purple tips came in. Then the blue tips (which I can't quite capture in the picture). It has almost completely overgrown the base that died out and sending out tons of new branches.

One of my favorites.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
There are only a few Acropora I'd consider "bomb proof". This is one of them. I have abused chunks of this so badly and they still just pop back and grow as soon as they are moved into better light and flow or water conditions.

I'm a few pages behind all the people posting Therman's Rainbow, but I wanted to throw in my hat. My mini-colony from a frag Therman sent ~15 months ago:

DSC_1114.jpg

This coral is so hardy. In the time I've had this coral, my tank has gone through some stuff. This coral grew quickly from a frag into a mini-colony, then the bottom half died as hair algae overgrew it. But it persisted, and as the tank started to rebound, the coral turned from brown to green. Then the purple tips came in. Then the blue tips (which I can't quite capture in the picture). It has almost completely overgrown the base that died out and sending out tons of new branches.

One of my favorites.

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_1114.jpg

One of my favorites.
Ok. That’s more what mine looks like. And mine is growing like a weed right now. Seems to be tabling though.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the posts, you guys convinced me to get some, I just added a frag to my LEAR order
There are only a few Acropora I'd consider "bomb proof". This is one of them. I have abused chunks of this so badly and they still just pop back and grow as soon as they are moved into better light and flow or water conditions.
Thanks for the posts, you guys convinced me to get some, I just added a frag to my LEAR order

abraha

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DSC_1114.jpg

One of my favorites.
What is the name of this coral?

danoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the name of this coral?

Therman's rainbow.

Here is another shot of one of the lower branches with blue tips. I realized that most of the blue tips seem to be on the lower offshoots. The blue is subtle, but less subtle than in the pictures. I also realized one of the reasons this coral is among my favorites is it looks much better in daylight than under the blues. The subtle colors get lost in the blues.

DSC_1126.jpg

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably around halloween mine started looking like krusty the clown sprouting off the sides. When i first mounted it encrusted grew in the middle some then i had months of nothing. Then I noticed growth on the sides around august and it took off. The first pic of dec29th. 2nd pic is feb 2nd. Picture is slightly rotated but y'all get the idea.
Dec29th
IMG_3106.jpeg

Feb 2nd
IMG_3109.jpeg

Would agree it looks
I wish mine was like that. Mines a solid green with deep purple tips.
Therman's rainbow.

Here is another shot of one of the lower branches with blue tips. I realized that most of the blue tips seem to be on the lower offshoots. The blue is subtle, but less subtle than in the pictures. I also realized one of the reasons this coral is among my favorites is it looks much better in daylight than under the blues. The subtle colors get lost in the blues.

DSC_1126.jpg
Yes the blue is actually very bright on fast growing tips in high light.

@abraha Adam at BC named it the “therman’s rainbow”, though it is mostly green, purple, blue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back