therman's 12 year old SPS system...top down shot, starting to enjoy this tank again

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah...Bubble Yum...

I don’t have major shading issues. Most tanks only have one fixture wide (a couple have two end to end), but the new backup system has broader tanks with two parallel units over 30” wide tanks to create a “hot zone” of 6-700 PAR where they overlap in the middle. It is far less of an issue with dispersed panel arrays like Reefbreeders than it is with the concentrated pucks of other brands.

2 huh ? How far from the top of the frag tank are you hanging them ? And running at 100% intensity as you always do ?

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great colony shots, the calacali frag I got from you at fraggenstein is still acclimating and encrusting (lost a little color). I can’t wait for it to get happy and start coloring up again. GoiNg to have to place an order soon as that table is awesome.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Great colony shots, the calacali frag I got from you at fraggenstein is still acclimating and encrusting (lost a little color). I can’t wait for it to get happy and start coloring up again. GoiNg to have to place an order soon as that table is awesome.

Yeah the Calacali will probably dull out a bit while encrusting before it brightens up again to put out new branches. The new growth really is beautiful.

The table is super easy to grow. I had to break off an entire 8" plate recently that was encroaching my Homewrecker colony, so I have a few frags ;)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2 huh ? How far from the top of the frag tank are you hanging them ? And running at 100% intensity as you always do ?

I have them on the stainless legs on my newer prop tanks on 2" acrylic risers that puts them 14" from the water and about 25" from the bottom of the tank. Intensity varies from 65-100% depending on the tank (I dont need 700 PAR in every tank ;) ). Most of them now I have reds and whites dialed back slightly from the rest of the colors. I also have a single row with the lumen bars running over a 180g 6" from the water, which grows acros front to back, top to bottom. Basically anywhere that isn't shaded by the pumps.

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OK, re-post of another coral I posted earlier with an updated photo. Really slow growing mini table that I just love the blue color of. Pretty rare one that requires a lot of patience to do well with.

BC Set for Stun
PC191871.jpg

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not good at sharing images of my tanks. I'm terrible at keeping glass clean. I really enjoy seeing corals grow out into healthy colonies from small frags.

On that note, this 36x36x18 tank was set up first in 2010, moved to a new house in 2012, and nearly crashed (due entirely to my neglect) in 2013. After the near crash it was consolidated into one system with an older SPS setup, and the whole thing has evolved into a sprawling ~730 gallons across 7 aquariums and a stock tank.

I tragically lost a stunning ~18" blue squamosa that I cherished at the start of this year, but that has freed up almost 1/4 of the tank to adjust the aquascape. I'm still not quite sure how exactly I want it laid out towards the back left, but I'm really liking the interplay of color and form of the Skinny Love/24k Leptoseris/Hawaiian Pocillopora combo through the middle. This shot is taken from the right side looking across towards the left side, so the front panel of the tank is the one in the left of the frame.

Enjoy :)

IMG_2394.jpg
12+ years amazing

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another photo dump day! Managing to get decent shots of all sorts of neglected pieces that are not well represented on the inter webs.

First one is hardly a rarity, but for me it's like catching a unicorn to take a photo that captures all the colors. Pretty happy with this one! Many years in the making...

Vivid's Rainbow Delight
PC191762.jpg

This is when you know you’ve got things dialed in. I have had this coral looking really nice in the past, but in my current system, it’s growing, but it’s brown. I guess 40 + nitrates will do that.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a guys shop I know near me (probably on the list of vendors here) and the only acro he had was basically a Paletta pink tip. I do want one so I asked how much for a frag. $180 bucks! Wow... I won’t go back there again. I asked if he had any normal priced acros. He said, what do you mean? I said, anything not double or triple the price. Sad part was he had tons of frags healed and a nice huge colony...

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to a guys shop I know near me (probably on the list of vendors here) and the only acro he had was basically a Paletta pink tip. I do want one so I asked how much for a frag. $180 bucks! Wow... I won’t go back there again. I asked if he had any normal priced acros. He said, what do you mean? I said, anything not double or triple the price. Sad part was he had tons of frags healed and a nice huge colony...
Is he on drugs?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old school classic. Had a hard time getting this started years ago, now grows like CRAZY.

Paletta Pink Tip
PC191781.jpg
I'm loving the piece I got from you, your picture makes it look quite pedestrian TBH. This is an underrated classic

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he on drugs?

Sad thing is all the corals are priced high like that. That’s how they make their money I am sure. Newer people in the hobby that want something special and don’t know what’s what. They specialize in everything but sps and have nice stuff but it’s all priced double the norm. Most shops like this I always get someone trying to sell me a story with the coral like it makes it cost more and the story is more often than not false.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad thing is all the corals are priced high like that. That’s how they make their money I am sure. Newer people in the hobby that want something special and don’t know what’s what. They specialize in everything but sps and have nice stuff but it’s all priced double the norm. Most shops like this I always get someone trying to sell me a story with the coral like it makes it cost more and the story is more often than not false.
so did you end up leaving them a pedo con fuego?

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

Well if you look at some of the vendors nowadays you’d wonder why he sells Acropora for 1/10th of what tiny frags sell for on Facebook ;)

OP
OP
therman

therman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, reminds me of a Walt Disney?

Pacific Wave has a light blue tips, a yellow green base and pink polyps. There is no blue in a Walt Disney (besides the reflection of blue LED light in all the photos online) and it has yellowish polyps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back