Thieling roller mat compact

rschneid58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed the Thieling Compact Rollermat in my system 4 days ago. I am having issues.
1. I don't understand the function of the single black button. I also can't find anywhere in the instructions where it tells me what it does. Seems like this is a dumb question as in "ok it turns the power on and off". But at least for me it's definitely not doing that. I don't know for sure what it's doing. Sometimes I press it and I get a single orange flash, and nothing happens. sometimes I press it and I get no flash but the roller turns for about 4 seconds (guessing on that timing)
2. The BIG PROBLEM is: The roller runs non stop thru the entire roll when I plug it in.
A. the water level is nowhere near the sensor. I have a video showing the roller turning but the water well below the sensor , see attached video.
B. The flow rate is nowhere near the max so that should not be an issue, at least the level never touches the sensor
C. I can manually force the roller to turn by lifting the water sensor, so it will respond to that sensor when triggered. Unfortunately its also running without it being touched.
D. I have unplugged and replugged the rollermat more than once. It's does this same thing every time. Runs thru the entire roll non-stop in about 2 hours (guessing the time)
E. This problem led me to wonder if I needed to adjust the "power?" setting via the button, which got me to the questions in 1 above, because nothing I have been able to do as altered this.

I have submitted this entire issue to the friendly folks at BRS as thats where I got it. My feeling is that this unit is defective. But I am also ready to admit maybe I missed something really obvious in the setup? Its such a simple device that I don't know what else I am supposed to do with it, but maybe something.

Any help would be appreciated. This is the only roller mat that I can actually get into my highly constrained sump space. Its in there, its just not working :-(

Attachments

• IMG_2767 2.MOV
    26.9 MB
OP
OP
R

rschneid58

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just a follow up, no response expected. It turns out that the first roller mat was definitely defective. The replacement came in and works perfectly. I am so happy to be done with filter socks! I should have trusted myself more as I installed the first unit. I was pretty sure something was wrong with it but after getting a new one it’s clear. This is a great device and it is doing a wonderful job and I managed to fit in a very small tight song. Bottom line great device doing a great job.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 134 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back