Things that need to be invented

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this can be done with magnetic fields, as saltwater doesn't really have any magnetic properties. However, I saw a video where they made water levitate using vibrations, so you could probably use that in some way
I think it's more of a question of creating artificial gravity strong enough to confine tank water on a vertical plane. Let's say the tank's back wall is designed to create this gravitational pull. It would still have to contend with earth's gravity, which would pull the water towards the bottom panel. If the tank only had a back panel and no bottom panel, you'd end up with a "droopy" spherical tank floating in midair, which would be beyond rad. Theoretically, you could also direct high pressure/volume air from all angles at the water volume, but the venturi effect from the rushing air would probably remove your eyeballs the moment you try to look for ich on your tang and the sound would make it impossible to tell if the skimmer was running. Oh, and you'd need a firehose for ATO to compensate for that level of evaporation.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a glass scraper that also has tubing to immediately remove what you just scraped off. This could be siphon powered or pump powered, but it would cool to have it somehow filter the water and put it back in the tank as you go to minimize water removed.

Maybe cleaning inventions aren't too exciting...
THIS

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gravel vac for the sand bed with interchangeable and washable mesh/fleece and interchangeable fittings. Basically a far superior version of the one I linked.

If you've got a filter roller, then just place the discharge tube in it. Detritus/Crud gets pulled out, water stays in the system.

OP
OP
TheShrimpNibbler

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I was not expecting so many responses, thank you all for all the great ideas. Unfortunately, my teacher said that peltier tiles cannot be used, and I have far too little knowledge about chemistry to make a new ich medication. There is also an improved electric sand vac that tank matez just created, so the need for that may be gone soon. I’ll likely look more into the idea of making a tool that pulls off what you scrape off the walls. Some of the automated glass cleaner ideas seem really good, but I doubt that I have enough skill to make something like that. I would be willing to try it, but grade depends upon me being able to make a working model of whatever it is. Thanks again for all the help with this!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half invented automatic/battery operated algae/glass scrubber, so many things to consider before prototype (besides cost + patent about £4000)

Need to put sensor that will stop it hitting/ running over snails/ starfish etc or anything on glass but this will affect the cleaning capabilities (if soft touch sensor)

IMG20220411190653.jpg IMG20220411181151.jpg IMG20220411181142.jpg

Attachments

• VID20220411191909.mp4
    44 MB
  • VID20220411181207.mp4
    34.5 MB

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are three ideas. We turned versions of these into other products we now manufacture. the first go around usually does not yield workable designs but often end up putting you on a path of something completely different. good luck with your project and let me know how it progresses.

Idea one - BunkerBox unbreakable sumps.

We built a few of these and they really are unbreakable. The prototypes were heat welded LDPE and literally were dropped off a step ladder, kicked like a soccer ball and never broke. applications would be industrial/commercial filtration. See image below.
BUNKERBOX SUMP 48X15X20 FRONT.jpg

Idea two - Customized fish food grinders

There are many herb grinders offered online. They are easily converted to aquatic use as a way to take large food and reduce it down for smaller fish. That alone is simply remarketing. Customize it with some 3D printer work and you have another product. Not a "must have" but people like this kind of stuff.

XL-Grinder-5.png

Idea Three - Another fish food concept

Nothing new about this one. take raw foods, could be plant or animal based (chicken livers and gizzards work very well) and grind them up in a blender. Add water as needed. Put the blend into micro ice cube trays and freeze. Feed your fish with the frozen cubes. You can blend up your custom recipes. Doing this with your wife's blender may cause other problems though.

All the best.

Mikey-D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mini scuba diver attached with a wifi camera that swims around your tank and does live feed of your tank. That way you get all the live action shots but also a cool lil scuba swim swimming in your tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back