What sci-fi aquarium equipment would you invent?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Alright, I'm aware this one is a bit silly, but I thought it might be a fun thread.

Imagine we're in a Star Trek type of world. Technology has advanced to such a point as to seem like magic to us 21st century peasants. Anything is possible- and I mean anything. Assuming it was priced reasonably, what aquarium gadgets would you like?
Mine would be:

1: A tricorder-style device that can scan your tank and provide you with a list of every single organism in it. Want to know if those fish in QT are carrying velvet? Done. Want to know if that timid shrimpgoby is still alive? Done. Want to know what in the world just went under that rock? Turns out there's five things in this tank you didn't know about, but you know what's under that rock now!
The deluxe version comes with a special high-tech button. Simply fill the bucket with saltwater, and you can teleport anything on that list of organisms safely into the bucket. Easily capture fish for a rescape, catch gorilla crabs for your sump, teleport the ich straight out of your tank and fish- anything you like. You can even pull out those entries that read things like "unknown Gammarus sp." and "unrecorded polychate" to give to science to be identified.

2: A food replicator that can be given shelf-stable component bricks and spits out bits of food that contain every nutrient your fish need, in tasty meat-and-seaweed(like) form. It's automated, of course, with a button for manual feedings. Feed your anthias 8x a day with food that's as nutritious as if you just yanked the plankton from the ocean and dumped it in, get those tricky lionfish everything they need, dispense a fine powder of suitable food into your NPS tank in the middle of the night.
The deluxe version can implant meaty food with a very simple set of nerves to cause it to wriggle, like a gecko tail, tempting fish that prefer live foods. It can't quite swim convincingly, but can drift around the current wiggling, or can be made to twitch rhythmically a bit like BBS.

3: A tiny coral fence. Place the near-invisible wire around where you want it, attached to your rockwork with little pins, and hide the discreet battery pack somewhere behind your rockwork. Any corals that touch it simply stop growing in that direction. Perfectly harmless to anything else that touches it, and safe for the coral as well. Contains your GSP and stops encrusting montiporas from encrusting your entire rockwork, all in a way you have to put your face up to the glass to see.
The deluxe version produces a sort of invisible, cnidarian-only force field in a sphere around itself, excluding anywhere the sphere would intersect with solid surfaces. Food, water, oxygen, and everything else passes freely through, but cnidarians and any parts thereof are stopped. This one works for xenia, mushrooms, and other corals that can detach and spread, as well as keeping sweeper tentacles contained. Stops anemones wandering, too! Though they look a bit silly pressed up against the side of it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 34 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%

Back