Things With Stings Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello from the UK :)

Wanted to share some photos of the fish living in my reef tank.
676DB4FF-B2E1-4E75-9608-78636B9E3E7F.jpeg
76FA20F3-7130-43F0-9107-E5855F25C3F2.jpeg
4E5F5030-6BBD-42B5-A256-6A682870DD6A.jpeg
6E6265AA-856C-4741-9018-9784DAFC2516.jpeg
E7725A31-15EC-4A62-9799-D8F13D9DE82D.jpeg
B4175844-7721-43BD-83CE-8909F406789E.jpeg
E012033D-0275-4674-8946-E506FEC3A89E.jpeg
9C4D35EF-7DE4-4503-8132-40B46F02E56B.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos. If you have seen any of my posts, you'll see I'm addicted to venom. Is that a trio of
Taenianotus triacanthus, they appear to be enjoying hanging out together. How big are they and how long have they been in the tank together.

OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great photos. If you have seen any of my posts, you'll see I'm addicted to venom. Is that a trio of
Taenianotus triacanthus, they appear to be enjoying hanging out together. How big are they and how long have they been in the tank together.

I’m new to reef2reef so haven’t but I will do some searching!

I actually have four T. triacanthus. I fell into the trap of paying extra for the reds and they’ve all turned this lovely shade of beige....

They’ve been in together for about 5 months and I’ve actually witnessed two pair up and breed. Here’s an egg bundle from the last time!
6DAEB0E2-712C-4B2E-8A9C-EDEB38B42C71.jpeg

I’ve got them all eating frozen from a feeding stick too :)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to reef2reef so haven’t but I will do some searching!

I actually have four T. triacanthus. I fell into the trap of paying extra for the reds and they’ve all turned this lovely shade of beige....

They’ve been in together for about 5 months and I’ve actually witnessed two pair up and breed. Here’s an egg bundle from the last time!
6DAEB0E2-712C-4B2E-8A9C-EDEB38B42C71.jpeg

I’ve got them all eating frozen from a feeding stick too :)

That's awesome. i had a T. triacanthus a few years back and it really didn't grab me. He was an adult when I got him and I had him for about 2 years when I had to treat the tank for internal parasites, he apparently had an adverse reaction to general cure. I picked up a little itty bitty a few weeks ago, and he has grabbed me, big time. This little fellow is very entertaining, I even thing he's sweet on this little female red rooster waspfish. hahaha

Click my name and find all threads(or post), and you will find dozens of my venomous creatures through the years. Presently I have a Rhinopias frondosa, a Pterois radiata, 2 Dendrochirus brachypterus , 3 Paracentropogon zonatus , and a T. triacanthus. I'm looking to add either 1 or 2 more dwarf or medium bodied lions to my 90g venom tank and 1 or 2 Caribbean species scorpionfish in a 40g display refugium. I am also considering an Ablabys taenianotus for the refugium, but he may be too floppy for the flow, what do you think.

In regards to feeding dead foods, it's about the content of the dead diet, not the fact that they are eating dead foods. It's essential that they get the proper protein, efa's, minerals, and not get a diet high in thiaminese. For long term success on a dead diet they need "fresh" if possible; fatty fish, shells,bones, and guts of some kind, shell on shrimp with guts and all trimmed of any sharp pieces and cut up small enough, hikari brand silversides as the others may be a variety of fish which contain thiaminese. Try to avoid krill, high in thiaminese, prawns are better than shrimp, as shrimp also contains thiaminese at a lower level but the shells and guts are good. Thiaminese binds B vitamins and is likely the cause of many demise of predatory fish. I just share this because most people keeping these fish on a dead only diet barely keep much longer than a year and a half and most times not even that long. These new enriched chunky predator formula's may be worth a go. I haven't tried them. I grill salmon at least once a week, so I cut a fresh hunk for my preds that will it. I also feed hikari silversides. I only occasionally do shrimp, and yes I will ask the seafood counter for 3 fresh shrimp, or grab a prawn when they have it. I've found my success in feeding live and only supplementing with dead foods.

20201010_181842.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome. i had a T. triacanthus a few years back and it really didn't grab me. He was an adult when I got him and I had him for about 2 years when I had to treat the tank for internal parasites, he apparently had an adverse reaction to general cure. I picked up a little itty bitty a few weeks ago, and he has grabbed me, big time. This little fellow is very entertaining, I even thing he's sweet on this little female red rooster waspfish. hahaha

Click my name and find all threads(or post), and you will find dozens of my venomous creatures through the years. Presently I have a Rhinopias frondosa, a Pterois radiata, 2 Dendrochirus brachypterus , 3 Paracentropogon zonatus , and a T. triacanthus. I'm looking to add either 1 or 2 more dwarf or medium bodied lions to my 90g venom tank and 1 or 2 Caribbean species scorpionfish in a 40g display refugium. I am also considering an Ablabys taenianotus for the refugium, but he may be too floppy for the flow, what do you think.

In regards to feeding dead foods, it's about the content of the dead diet, not the fact that they are eating dead foods. It's essential that they get the proper protein, efa's, minerals, and not get a diet high in thiaminese. For long term success on a dead diet they need "fresh" if possible; fatty fish, shells,bones, and guts of some kind, shell on shrimp with guts and all trimmed of any sharp pieces and cut up small enough, hikari brand silversides as the others may be a variety of fish which contain thiaminese. Try to avoid krill, high in thiaminese, prawns are better than shrimp, as shrimp also contains thiaminese at a lower level but the shells and guts are good. Thiaminese binds B vitamins and is likely the cause of many demise of predatory fish. I just share this because most people keeping these fish on a dead only diet barely keep much longer than a year and a half and most times not even that long. These new enriched chunky predator formula's may be worth a go. I haven't tried them. I grill salmon at least once a week, so I cut a fresh hunk for my preds that will it. I also feed hikari silversides. I only occasionally do shrimp, and yes I will ask the seafood counter for 3 fresh shrimp, or grab a prawn when they have it. I've found my success in feeding live and only supplementing with dead foods.

20201010_181842.jpg

Just been reading some of your threads! I’m currently on the look out for a Choridactylus multibarbus. Have you kept one before?

I’m sure the Ablabys will do fine in your tank - mine are in a high flow SPS tank without any problems. Best scorpion I’ve owned by far - they’re like a dog....so friendly!

In terms of food - I didn’t know about the above so thanks for pointing it out. Mine get frozen river shrimp - I feed live river shrimp pellets and then freeze them myself, PE mysis and Gamma whole fish (the Inimicus will eat these whole, the Ablabys and Taenianotus will try....)

If you’re interested I have more pictures/videos on my Insta - things_with_stings_reef

Here’s a shot I just took of the tower of T. triacanthus
68CB7990-12FE-4F8D-89C1-2F02D31973E2.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Choridactylus multibarbus

See that diet sounds great; they are getting shells, bones, and guts; the food is fresh and limited amount of thiaminese. I recommend PE mysis as well, my little waspfish eats that; it is a high in protein and likely the most nutritious of any similar foods.

I may have to get some more leaf fish. I haven't done the Choridactylus multibarbus, they kind of give me the creeps with those little arms. They will follow the same rues as the rest. You may want to give enough of a sand bed for them to bury themselves, they may or may not in captivity. I've seen them partially bury them selves in sand beds not so deep. It's more for hunting, so when fed in captivity they sometimes realize it isn't necessary.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many species, and I'm no expert. Some that fit the profile and are collected more than others include scorpaena brasiliensis, scorpaena plumieri, and scorpaenodes caribbaeus. Plumieri getting pretty large, easily over 10" in captivity, while the caribbaeus stays small around 4" or under; the brasiliensis somewhere in between. All of these are frequently misidentified. Either way that is one of the zippier type of scorps with a very intense sting. Be careful around him, you will literally just see a puff when he takes off.

A closer look and I'm leaning more towards the caribbaeus or brasiliensis; if he gets toward 5" it will be the brasiliensis. I'm only going from ones I've seen, do you know what region he came from, that would narrow it down quite a bit. You being in the UK I am probably way off base, as you see ones I never see.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many species, and I'm no expert. Some that fit the profile and are collected more than others include scorpaena brasiliensis, scorpaena plumieri, and scorpaenodes caribbaeus. Plumieri getting pretty large, easily over 10" in captivity, while the caribbaeus stays small around 4" or under; the brasiliensis somewhere in between. All of these are frequently misidentified. Either way that is one of the zippier type of scorps with a very intense sting. Be careful around him, you will literally just see a puff when he takes off.

A closer look and I'm leaning more towards the caribbaeus or brasiliensis; if he gets toward 5" it will be the brasiliensis. I'm only going from ones I've seen, do you know what region he came from, that would narrow it down quite a bit. You being in the UK I am probably way off base, as you see ones I never see.

I believe it came from Bali.

It’s actually quite slow moving - i have this guy (which I think is S. parvipinnis) which rockets around the tank like a maniac though.
F266BFFE-DC43-4002-84AA-7A92484BBF2D.jpeg

8574990F-2717-455F-89EC-CC5BF19C6A0F.jpeg

You should be able to get anything I can source. The trick is to get your store talking to the exporter including sending them pics of what you want. For example the velvetfish came in as “assorted scorpionfish”.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Things_With_Stings_Reef

Things_With_Stings_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my current stock list
2x Ablabys taenianotus (Cockatoo waspfish)
4x taenianotus triacanthus (Leaf scorpionfish)
3x Paracentropogon zonatus (bandtail waspfish)
1x Scorpaenodes parvipinnis (low fin scorpionfish)
1x Inimicus didactylus (Popeye sea goblin)
2x Paraploactis kagoshimensis (velvetfish)
1x Dendrochirus biocellatus (fu Manchu lionfish)
1x Echidna xanthospilos (skeletor moray)
1x Sebastapistes cyanostigma (yellow spotted scorpionfish)
1x Liopropoma africanum
1x Calloplesiops altivelis
1x Calloplesiops argus
1x unknown scorpionfish

And a few normal reef fish: pair of clowns, Starcki damsel, 2x springers damsels, female psychedelic mandarin, copperband butterfly

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love this tank!!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was way off, those fish I mentioned are from the western Atlantic. Scorps are not a big draw here, other than lionfish, and you will see the occasional rhinopias. Lfs are pretty scared to carry them at all where I live, and not many hobbyist have the dedication to care for as I do. I have the lfs I do business always looking for me, and they rarely come up with anything. Online carriers never have anything as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back