Think I have a bacteria bloom going on

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve had my 40 breeder running for a year using hob gear, Sunday I added a 10g diy tank for a sump. I removed the media that was in my filter (a lot) and added new ceramic bricks to my sump.

The waters cloudy. At first I thought it was debris and my cup wasn’t working right, then I thought bubbles. But it seems it’s not bubbles but it is indeed a small bacterial bloom. It’s slightly cloudy, camera can’t pic it up. So no point in posting a pic, I can visibly tell though

What should I do? Wait? Add mb7 or something? I currently have carbon in and a small skimmer. Was getting my fuge ready, haven’t installed the lights yet

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give a UV a try, it helped with my cloudy water.

OP
OP
J

jonny4ever

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give a UV a try, it helped with my cloudy water.
Sorry. Gears unnecessary for my situation, problems minor. I was told to buy one when I had Dino’s but I also decided to go against buying one and it turned it fine as well

idk if to dose bacteria to try to combat that bacteria? I once had a huge bacteria bloom one I first cycled the tank a year ago, but it went away within a few days. Could it be that the new water along with the tossing of my media cause a mini cycle or something?

Sesty22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand not wanting to buy anything else. I was just letting you know what worked for me when I had a bacterial bloom.

I tried MB7 and Clean and another product from KZ I think. Nothing worked for me personally, until I got the UV. Next morning was crystal clear.

Maybe just wait it out and see after a few days what it looks like. If anything atleast MB7 is cheap and easy to give a try! Good Luck!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only trouble with a bacterial bloom is the amount of O2 it is consuming. Make sure the skimmer is running very well. Make sure the top of the water is turbulent.

If you have socks, be sure they are not clogging; clean them often. Running carbon should help a little.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back