Think I'm ready for coral.

swilson3313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like I need to list my perameters I know they are good due to my obsessive testing. I started with an elegance coral supposedly from Australia. Anyway, it perished. I would love to have a reef tank, but I'm a little hesitant. I love my fish but I need a little more color. What is the best coral to start with.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans, Zoas, Ricordia, mushrooms, candy cane

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you tried a coral and it died but you feel your tank is ready for coral yet won’t post any parameters or background of such tank cos you think it’s perfect.

Sesame Street Idk GIF

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many corals that make for greater starter coral like the already mentioned GSP, xenia, or most soft corals. With many of these "starter" corals they can eventually grow quick enough that they became a nuisance. For instance one of my first corals was a kenya tree, which I like the movement it adds to the tank, but now it's attached where I would love to put my acro frags.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start off with some easy soft coral to see how they do then progress towards the coral you want
Elegance corals are more finicky

Reefinmike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I THINK I'M READY FOR DIFFICULT STUFF. I TRIED IT ONCE AND FAILED. I'M NOT HERE LOOKING FOR HELP OR SUGGESTIONS AS I KNOW I'M GREAT AT WHAT I'M DOING! TA TA!

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“Softies” (leathers & toadstools) are hardy, forgiving starters. branching montipora is a good sps starter.

OP
OP
S

swilson3313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel like I need to list my perameters I know they are good due to my obsessive testing. I started with an elegance coral supposedly from Australia. Anyway, it perished. I would love to have a reef tank, but I'm a little hesitant. I love my fish but I need a little more color. What is the best coral to start with.
Well
I dont think you need to be so harsh. All I was saying is that my perameters are within what I thought were sufficient from my limited research. Was looking for a quick answer i guess. Forgive me as I am new to this obviously. I have a 75 gallon tank that has been cycled for about 5 months. My alknity is 9.6. Nitrate 2. PH 8.2. Salinity 1.025. Ive worked very hard at this and do not think its easy at all. Also, who says "Ta Ta"??

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get something cheap. It really sucks to spend 100$+ on a fancy coral to just kill it. Zoas/Duncan/mushrooms/Kenya tree/GSP/xenia are all pretty forgiving and don’t cost a ton.

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly reminder- don’t forget calcium & magnesium. Alk is (imho) a touch high.... with high alk just be mindful of keeping some Nitrates and Phosphates or you may run into trouble. Can you run alk near 10? Absolutely but taking into consideration room for error in test kits; lower gets you some fudge room on the top end. (All my opinion)

OP
OP
S

swilson3313

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friendly reminder- don’t forget calcium & magnesium. Alk is (imho) a touch high.... with high alk just be mindful of keeping some Nitrates and Phosphates or you may run into trouble. Can you run alk near 10? Absolutely but taking into consideration room for error in test kits; lower gets you some fudge room on the top end. (All my opinion)
My calcium and magnesium are also a little high at 450 and 1400.

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am 3+ months into my bare bottom cycle. My parameters were good from the beginning, but the two test frags I added have died.

There is something about tank maturity that I am not sure how to measure.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am 3+ months into my bare bottom cycle. My parameters were good from the beginning, but the two test frags I added have died.

There is something about tank maturity that I am not sure how to measure.
I add coral the first day after the tank cycles and I’ve never had an issue. Tank doesn’t even really have to be cycled/mature to support a lot of different lps and soft coral. Not saying to do that but just saying that don’t lay the focus on the frags dying because the tank is new.

Last edited:

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i do water changes weekly rather than bi-weekly, will this lower my alkilinity?
Depends on what your salt mixes at... adding corals will lower it :)

Back