Think my melanarus wrasse is dying

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had him 4 years. Hes looking skinny and he looks like hes confused... if that makes sense. Hes does not go for the food like he used to. Inface the past few weeks hes been getting less and less because everyone else eats it all before he realizes whats going on. And now for the past 2 days hes just been laying on the sand bed all day. He always went under the sand at night, but never layed on the sand during the day. He used to zoom around all the rocks all day. Hes the biggest fish in the tank out of 1 clownfish, 1 flame hawk, 2 firefish, and 1 banggai cardinal, and nobody ever bothered him anyway.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ive had him 4 years. Hes looking skinny and he looks like hes confused... if that makes sense. Hes does not go for the food like he used to. Inface the past few weeks hes been getting less and less because everyone else eats it all before he realizes whats going on. And now for the past 2 days hes just been laying on the sand bed all day. He always went under the sand at night, but never layed on the sand during the day. He used to zoom around all the rocks all day. Hes the biggest fish in the tank out of 1 clownfish, 1 flame hawk, 2 firefish, and 1 banggai cardinal, and nobody ever bothered him anyway.
May be moribund or have a common ailment known as UNWD which is a neurological issue that affects wrasses with no good outcome in many cases but will need video of at least 20 seconds to confirm

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn't sound good, but a video could help us diagnose this.

Most chronic, internal fish issues like this (no external symptoms) are simply not treatable.....

Jay

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe wrasses live right around 4 years. Might just be old age but maybe just has something bothering him. Any new additions lately?

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 2 days he is now refusing food all together. Just laying on the sand all day, i feel bad. Should I take him out and just put him in the freezer? I heard that was a somewhat human way to euthanize a fish.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 2 days he is now refusing food all together. Just laying on the sand all day, i feel bad. Should I take him out and just put him in the freezer? I heard that was a somewhat human way to euthanize a fish.

Here is something I wrote up about fish euthanasia:

Jay

p.s. - I have only seen UNWD in newly acquired wrasses, so your fish probably has some other neurological issue.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is something I wrote up about fish euthanasia:

Jay

p.s. - I have only seen UNWD in newly acquired wrasses, so your fish probably has some other neurological issue.
I think he hit the deck too hard one night when he was going under the sand... the more I look at him now, it looks like his face is bruised.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. Always tough to lose part of the family. Melanurus wrasse are such great fish

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a little tribute to him

DSCN0331.JPG
DSCN0332.JPG
DSCN0335.JPG
DSCN0336.JPG

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back