Thinking about a tang

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had one for over 30 years but I am think about one for our 100g tank, that is 4' long. I know this is small but maybe a species that doesn't get real large would work. The bio load is low only 3 fish (clown, xanthias, and a goby) but the plan is to add a mandarin, another clown and something else. Suggestions?

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the purple, while very pretty, may get too big, also a little spendy for a first tang. Maybe yellow, how about a kole? Wife is not nuts about the brownish color of the kole but they do stay a little smaller, correct?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get a Tomini tang, I personally have a purple tang, a Tomini tang, and a LT tang in my 120 gal tank. The purple and Tomini tang r a good size for a 4 ft tank, I will have to rehome the LT tang as it gets bigger. Imo a tomini tang is far prettier than the kole tang, but alot of people love them

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the opposite, she doesn't like the brown color.

Oops. I misread that.

See if she likes the tomini better. If you can find one to show her in person, they usually look better than in the photos.

The yellow, in my opinion, would be fine in a 4' 100 gallon. It will probably have to be the only deep bodied fish. I've had them go postal on other tangs, butterflies, and angels.

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kole tang isn’t brown, it’s a beautiful deep purple with a neon yellow ring around its eyes. It gets richer colors when established. Don’t go off of live aquarias pic they are much prettier than that especially under blue lights

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kole tang isn’t brown, it’s a beautiful deep purple with a neon yellow ring around its eyes. It gets richer colors when established. Don’t go off of live aquarias pic they are much prettier than that especially under blue lights
We are heavy on the blues so that is good.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
15503699805726262718869316955364.png
@Musovski's baby!!! (Warning: you WILL fall in love with this) @elisa h is right, look at the color!

Last edited:

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A Ctenochaetus tang would work or a yellow tang and maybe, just maybe both.

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the yellow eye kole isn't brown..I want one they look maroon/purple to me? I think this is a good fit in a 4ft tank due to the size. Live Aquaria lists max size of 7". Probably take years to reach that size.

OP
OP
jtl

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope the yellow eye kole isn't brown..I want one they look maroon/purple to me? I think this is a good fit in a 4ft tank due to the size. Live Aquaria lists max size of 7". Probably take years to reach that size.

I am sure it has a lot to do with your lights. My coral look entirely different under heavy blue vs more white lights.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 65 45.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back