Thinking About a Tank Reboot - No Clue Which Tank Manufacturer

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wanted to teardown and restart my reef for a while now. My current system is a standard RR90 that I picked up used and a stand I built. The glass had a few minor scratches that have been bugging me for years, and while the stand is stable, it isn't pretty. And with having an 18 month old running around, having a stand with a better enclosure would be a good thing.

Overall, an excuse for a system upgrade... If I can convince my wife ;)

I have some general plans for the system as far as equipment, a lot will be reused (Lighting,Vortechs, Return, Apex, Skimmer). I think I want to try a calc reactor rather than dealing with 2-part, I always forget to refill the containers. I also want to use an algae scrubber.

But where I am completely undecided is the actual tank/stand, there are a lot of tank manufacturer options out there, and I'm not really sure which way I would want to go. I'd be looking at a tank somewhere between 90g and 160g depending on dimensions.

I don't really care if the tank is rimless or not, I like the look of a rimless tank, but I also would not be willing to leave the tank uncovered and risk fish jumping, which kind of ruins the sleek look of a rimless system.

I know the Red Sea reefers are very popular, Waterbox, Innovative Marine, CustomAquariums.com, just a typical Marineland RR. I'm curious about experiences with pros and cons of the different systems from these manufacturers since it isn't something I've ever addressed in the time I've been in the hobby.

One requirement I do have for the tank is that either it comes setup for a bean animal, or has a large enough overflow box for a bean animal. I've dealt with minor clogs a couple of times with the Herbie setup on my 90, and I just want the added redundancy a bean animal setup provides.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 750XXL? Pretty much the nicest ready to go system you can get, without going custom.

OP
OP
I

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefer 750XXL? Pretty much the nicest ready to go system you can get, without going custom.

Yeah. I think the 650 was the size I was looking at for the Red Sea reefer series.

I should probably point out it is on a second floor. But it is directly against a wall where a steel I beam runs through the center of the house. And is supported by multiple joists. But due to being on the second floor, thinking something in the 125 range is probably all the extra weight that is reasonable to add over the weight of my current 90.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. I think the 650 was the size I was looking at for the Red Sea reefer series.

I should probably point out it is on a second floor. But it is directly against a wall where a steel I beam runs through the center of the house. And is supported by multiple joists. But due to being on the second floor, thinking something in the 125 range is probably all the extra weight that is reasonable to add over the weight of my current 90.

Under the 200 gallon range, I don’t think weight would be problem in a relitively modern home.

The “best” dimensions/design of tank also depend on your goals for it, and the space you have available. From what corals you’ll end up wanting, to the basic planning of your maintenance. For example do you need internal ATO storage? Or do you have space for a ~10g reservoir somewhere? Is there a utility room or water source nearby- is plumbing an RODI line nearby feasible?

OP
OP
I

infinityends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or do you have space for a ~10g reservoir somewhere? Is there a utility room or water source nearby- is plumbing an RODI line nearby feasible?

This is one of the goals. Currently I have an ikea cabinet with all of the electronics and a 5 gallon ato. I’d like a larger top off reservoir, pluming ro directly is possible, but due to location more headache than it is really worth. As well as I can have a tank that is at least 2’ longer if I remove the ikea cabinet and move the gear under a larger stand.

I have a 1” PVC pipe running up under the kitchen sink to refill ATOs and tanks after water changes from my mixing station in the utility room. But 10 gallons would buy me 6-10 days of top off vs the 4ish I get currently with a 5g on my 90.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 66 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back