Thinking about adding T5’s

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m current running 2 radion g4 xr30pro over my 125g.

I’m thinking about supplementing with a couple 48” T5’s. And slowly acclimate them in.

Im just not sure what to do to add them in. I have the ecotech rms track. And it’s been great.
Are there possibly any DIY plans or anything like that to add T5’s to the ecotech track?

I saw the hybrid fixtures by aquaticlife but they are just to pricey for me right now. And i think I may be able to do something similar diy if I was led in the right direction :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some orphek strips may be a better option for you

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
orphek strips
So add more led to my existing led’s?
From lots of research it looks like adding T5’s to leds helps more with coloration.
It’s not an issue with lack of PAR for me. The 2 radions do the job well based on the PAR readings I get.
I was looking for better coloration by adding in the T5’s.

I’ve been keeping reef for too long - back when MH were the standard. So it’s very possible im still thinking old school.

I was hoping for maybe some diy ideas that incorporate T5’s (or other) to the ecotech rms track.

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been researching around some. And i really think i am able to make my own fixture incorporating my exiting radions and the track i have for them.

I also saw some posts about T5HO fixtures that can be purchased from places like home depot or Lowes.
Can anyone link me any 2 bulb 60" T5HO fixtures that I should look at?

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
i run the hybrid kit with radions on it instead of the rms hanging bracket. they plug right in with no issues . i would consider it

i also bought sleek aestetic fans and mounted them on the hybrid fixture so when the t5s turn on, so does the fans to keep temp down

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run the hybrid kit with radions on it instead of the rms hanging bracket. they plug right in with no issues . i would consider it

i also bought sleek aestetic fans and mounted them on the hybrid fixture so when the t5s turn on, so does the fans to keep temp down
I was looking at the 61" model. But its kind of pricey for what it is. Basically 2 double T5HO fixtures and a bunch of brackets. I really think i can DIY something like this using some T5HO fixtures from HD or Lowes. Ill see what I can do. Cant seem to find a lot of information on it.

For me at this point its either use T5s or get another xr30 pro. Since 2 is very limiting over my 60" tank.

I have some SPS which are thriving and look great. My one acro however does not seem to be coloring up too well although it is alive and well for a month or so now that I've had it. All my params are on point. My lighting is the only issue i can think of.

Last edited:

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 sun blaster you can get off Amazon plant grow lights T5
Just change bulbs an use the ATI blue plus

0E0810C3-121F-4F90-B84E-BCD616F8023A.jpeg

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 sun blaster you can get off Amazon plant grow lights T5
Just change bulbs an use the ATI blue plus

0E0810C3-121F-4F90-B84E-BCD616F8023A.jpeg
Thanks for this. I will check out those fixtures.
Also need to either find a design or design a canopy myself. Incorporating the T5HO fixtures and the radions.
My tank is open on top (with a mesh screen) and my current RMS track hangs about 16" above the water from the celling.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’m thinking about supplementing with a couple 48” T5’s. And slowly acclimate them in.

Im just not sure what to do to add them in. I have the ecotech rms track. And it’s been great.
Are there possibly any DIY plans or anything like that to add T5’s to the ecotech track?

I saw the hybrid fixtures by aquaticlife but they are just to pricey for me right now. And i think I may be able to do something similar diy if I was led in the right direction :)
T-Slot ftw.

Bruce60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I support your decision to add T5s to your Radions. When I set up my 150 g system (5' x 2' x 2') I decided to go hybrid from the start. I used one of the Aquatic Life 48" fixtures that come with 4 T5's and added two Radion XR15s. I love the balance between the two types of lighting.

For my lighting program, the T5's are on for 7 hours in the middle of the lighting day. The LEDs ramp up and down for sunrise and sunset, as well as change temp throughout the day, with a full 12 hour lighting day. I rented a PAR meter and have good readings on the reef. The tank looks great.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
image.jpg

T5 hybrid with XR30. You can see the Amazon fans I installed with the spare brackets hybrid comes with.

Just bought new sps 2 week and the pc rainbow has encrusted the frag already. I used to use Ai hydra

rainmaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this. I will check out those fixtures.
Also need to either find a design or design a canopy myself. Incorporating the T5HO fixtures and the radions.
My tank is open on top (with a mesh screen) and my current RMS track hangs about 16" above the water from the celling.
Yea I have a rms track that I drilled holes in center of track on each end
then drill threw my hood to secure the rms so no need for a hanging kit
T5’s are also fasten to hood. A carriage bolt will fit in slot of the rms

62174A72-2EEA-4B20-BBFE-2C4FED8E9D5C.jpeg 6CCE7F7E-8E62-431F-A70C-BE1B540B9D13.jpeg

Last edited:

Arego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run three SB reef ext's on a 250g with two coral plus.. and love it.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is two, 48” $70 buck DIY T5 fixtures hung from my existing LED, with a Giesman Super Antinic and Purple Plus.
Total cost, two strips, $180 CDN or say 140 usd.
0C68461C-58A4-4EDF-82B4-064E5DDA085A.jpeg

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question.
I have a 125g 60" wide tank. Would a 48" T5HO be sufficient or should i go with the 60" for more coverage?

The 48" are easier to find and i can even get one which dims and can connect to my Apex (48DX model).
Is the DX model really worth it?
The 60" are more expensive, harder to find, and none dim that i can find.

I do have an issue with shadowing. Where at least 30% of my live rock surface isn't getting enough light for corals. And a re-aquascape is not in my plans. I have way too much growth on rock surface to start moving rocks around.

Last edited:

Redfoxtang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I don’t doubt the leds would be sufficient enough to draw more color. T-5s I believe would pack more of a punch to draw out deeper colors. This is just my opinion as I do as well run just Leds on one tank and T5s and leds on another. I feel as if I produce really nice colors with my corals. Again just my opinion!

OP
OP
A;exr54

A;exr54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I don’t doubt the leds would be sufficient enough to draw more color. T-5s I believe would pack more of a punch to draw out deeper colors. This is just my opinion as I do as well run just Leds on one tank and T5s and leds on another. I feel as if I produce really nice colors with my corals. Again just my opinion!
Thank you and everyone else who commented.
I think I have made a decision to go with the DX18 48" dimmable aquaticlife fixture.
Now im just shopping around :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back