Thinking about getting a giant clam.

Srt8killer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a picture of a really nice blue clam which got me thinking of getting one. I have a 60 gallon tank that have been established for about 8 months. The parameters are always consistent. My big question is lighting. I have a current LED light. Is that enough? I was wanting to get another one but am debating just getting a different light. What do you think will 2 current LEDs keep one alive?
MVIMG_20190317_153148755.jpeg

OP
OP
Srt8killer

Srt8killer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current LEDs are pretty underpowered for a clam. If your going to spend money on a new light I'd just upgrade to a more powerful light instead of doubling up on the current LEDs.
What light would you recommend? I have heard some many different opinions

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of your tank and your budget. Lights can be expensive but usually if you invest in good lights upfront they should last you many years. AI prime AI hydras are great also raidons if you want to stick to LEDs or you could get T5s or metal halide

mbmax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of your tank and your budget. Lights can be expensive but usually if you invest in good lights upfront they should last you many years. AI prime AI hydras are great also raidons if you want to stick to LEDs or you could get T5s or metal halide
I agreed , if you dont want to spend too much check the used equipment for sale right here in R2R.

tenten900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What light would you recommend? I have heard some many different opinions
I'm using two Chinese black box led on my 65 gallon tank and they're good for what they are. Right now I'm growing a squamosa and a derasa on the sand bed and a crocea in the middle of a rock work. All of them are growing with these lights so I'm happy with these.

OP
OP
Srt8killer

Srt8killer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using two Chinese black box led on my 65 gallon tank and they're good for what they are. Right now I'm growing a squamosa and a derasa on the sand bed and a crocea in the middle of a rock work. All of them are growing with these lights so I'm happy with these.
Do you happen to have any pictures? I was thinking about trying to grow acrapora first than go from their.

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The “Current marine pro” that I have on my QT, kept my gold maxima happy for a year. I did keep it up high in the rock work though. About 6” below the light.

OP
OP
Srt8killer

Srt8killer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend any current led light to raise tridacna clams. A healthy clam can slowly starve with to little light and a year is honestly nothing when keeping clams.
What would you recommend?

tenten900

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to have any pictures? I was thinking about trying to grow acrapora first than go from their.
Woah sorry for the late reply the app didnt notice me that you replied, but yeah the clams are growing under the black box led. Here's some pictures showing new growth recently also please ignore the algae [emoji51] [emoji51] [emoji51]
20190512_090252.jpeg
20190512_090244.jpeg
20190506_212203.jpeg

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What happen after a year?
the clam came in with hair algae on it and I wanted to make sure to kill off the algae before going into the display tank. The ultra gold clam was doing so well that it double it’s size. I finally moved it to the bottom of the display tank with Kessil 360we and it was dead within a week. Not sure the cause but a purple tang was relentlessly bothering it. Bottom line though as said above I wouldn’t recommend this light for clams long term. QT yes. The Black Box lights are cheaper and stronger.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back