OP
OP
K

kwjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group. I know all about laying awake planning out a build.

I think you may find this helpful to model your build:D

1566180366730.jpeg
Ha!

OP
OP
K

kwjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized I have a Fluval Spec III sitting around doing nothing. I could set up a pico tank for pretty cheap(ish) using distilled water until I can start working on my original plan.

Pricing out the equipment I want for the 40 SPS tank added up quick.

N2950H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I had to laugh while reading your original post here as it is exactly what happened to me. I also got out of the hobby in 2008 and found myself cruising through the LFS on occasion while fighting off the urge to dive back in. After reading various forums for the last year or so, I've been back in now for about 2 months now. While I'm very happy I did come back, all of the reasons why I left are starting to become clear again. I plan to stick it out this time but the traveling for work really makes this hobby difficult at times...but automation sure has come a long way. :)

Like yourself, I also started out looking at nano and pico tanks but one thing led to another and I eventually wound up with a Waterbox Frag 80. I am so happy I went larger, but yeah...it's funny how fast a $1600 tank turns into $4k before you even start stocking it.

Anyway, glad to see you joined up. Onec you finally pull the trigger on something, don't forget to start a build thread so we can follow along!

OP
OP
K

kwjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Spec III got drained and cleaned last night. I'm thinking rock anenomes and zoas right now.

Rocks for aquascaping and curing are on the horizon, along with a curing tub and equipment.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Spec III got drained and cleaned last night. I'm thinking rock anenomes and zoas right now.

Rocks for aquascaping and curing are on the horizon, along with a curing tub and equipment.

Did you get a build thread going so we can watch your progress?

VB313

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME TO R2R! Do it!!! Just a reference on your floor the average bathtub holds about 80 gallons that’s 640lbs plus the weight of the tub itself so a 40breeder should be fine in your farmhouse and you can always add more support if applicable always best to be safe than sorry;)

OP
OP
K

kwjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get a build thread going so we can watch your progress?
Not yet. I still have to take the bunk beds apart and convert the room back into an "office, and then make a trip to the LFS to start getting supplies. Between work, the farm and other activities, it's going to be a while before this thing really gets going. Need to convince the CFO to let me spend a few hundred on a 2.6 gallon reef.

OP
OP
K

kwjones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME TO R2R! Do it!!! Just a reference on your floor the average bathtub holds about 80 gallons that’s 640lbs plus the weight of the tub itself so a 40breeder should be fine in your farmhouse and you can always add more support if applicable always best to be safe than sorry;)
Oh, I'm not worried about a 40 breeder. It's the 180+ that I want that I would worry about. My 75 had to sit parallel to the floor stringers so it was probably only supported by one stringer. It moved a little when anyone walked past it. Not a level floor in the original part of the house.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back