Thinking about T5 hybrid?

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to hear your opinion if that could be to much light on a 65 Gallon, Or would you just stick with LEDs.

This would be used for nothing crazy. Just for Regular Softies, LPS, and maybe easy SPS corals.

Do you think its best to be equipped with a lot of light or just what you need?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the corals you are trying to grow, I would say it comes down to aesthetics. If you like the look of T5 lit tanks (e.g. color, diffuse light, etc.), go for it, but if it's for another reason, you're likely to see little benefit beyond reduced shadowing.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it comes down to preference on lighting color. Had two 48” T5s coupled with two xr30s over my mixed tank I didn’t care much for the white light color. Corals seemed to do well under them, we saw some good growth in that time. We’ve now moved to the Orphek LED blue bar and the corals looked happy have a few heads growing all the LPS, I’d highly recommend them!

Thought I had a older/better pic with the T5s but I only have one with one light up.

F39A87B7-ADE9-4B03-A4A9-5F076F2A4B71.jpeg 85CF476A-7F34-4057-97F3-BFB395C7B22D.jpeg

OP
OP
LAreefdude

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your LED's, tank dimensions, stocking, etc. That being said, in general I would recommend the hybrid. The T5's will reduce shadowing and diffuse the light from the LED's. You may need to dim the LED's, but it is well worth it!

Thank you for your reply

OP
OP
LAreefdude

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say it comes down to preference on lighting color. Had two 48” T5s coupled with two xr30s over my mixed tank I didn’t care much for the white light color. Corals seemed to do well under them, we saw some good growth in that time. We’ve now moved to the Orphek LED blue bar and the corals looked happy have a few heads growing all the LPS, I’d highly recommend them!

Thought I had a older/better pic with the T5s but I only have one with one light up.

F39A87B7-ADE9-4B03-A4A9-5F076F2A4B71.jpeg 85CF476A-7F34-4057-97F3-BFB395C7B22D.jpeg
Wow your tank looks amazing, I have been researching on Bulk Reef and they have dimmable Hybrid systems now.

OP
OP
LAreefdude

LAreefdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Definitely a preference. T5 spread amazingly for a portion of the cost, however IMO LED provides better colors. I almost went with the Hybrid, however the cord management was the final decision maker.
what brand or should I say which lighting did you get brand and model and how many for your tank. and Tank size
-Cheers!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what brand or should I say which lighting did you get brand and model and how many for your tank. and Tank size
-Cheers!

I'm going with radion xr30 blues. I have 3 - xr15 pros on my 80 and love them. I was hoping to save money by using them with T5 hybrid for my new 180, but decided to go with xr30's. Not sure if I will have 3 or 4 yet. Maybe for now, 2 on the ends and 2 of my xr15s in the middle!!!

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a hybrid I've yet to install it because I'm waiting on bulbs and the mount . I have 3 xr30s with diffusers over a red sea 750 and although im getting growth , definatley running into shadowing and it would have gotten worse as the corals grow. I'm using regular rms which isnt the best option for a tank that big but it's what I had from my old tank . Some of my corals want to grow towards the back wall so I think.the hybrid mounted properly is going to fix a lot of my problems ..will let ya know lol

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like t5/led hybrids are becoming popular. I JUST got my aquatic life fixture delivered today, but im at work. Ill be running it with two kessil a360x leds to keep some shimmer and the pop that Leds give.

My hope is that the T5s will lessen shadowing on my acro frags and help with growth. Im not looking forward to all the cords just for lighting, but I feel like it will be worth it.

Back