Thinking of adding a six line wrasse and mandarin

william swann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In moving my 90 gallon a few month ago I had some fish casualties. I have a reef tank with a bunch of acropora, stylophora, acans, and other coral. And I have a hippo tang, two Cardinal fish, an anthia, and a royal gramma.

I want to add a mandarin and six line wrasse for their beauty and appetite for the things crawling around my love rock (tons of pods and flatworms). Would there be any compatibility issues?

I don't have a quarantine tank and don't have the time for it, unfortunately. Who is the best seller of fish to help avoid stress and/or diseases?

Oh, and I don't have a cover for my tank. I've heard wrasses can be jumpers. Is the risk THAT big?
can’t speak on the jumping cause i’ve had fish jump so i cover my tank just in case

if you get a manderin i would buy a tank raised one on frozen just in case, they like fish eggs btw and as far as the wrasse if you buy him around 1 and 1/2 inches and add them at the same time i don’t think there would be a problem

fishlover1478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can’t speak on the jumping cause i’ve had fish jump so i cover my tank just in case

if you get a manderin i would buy a tank raised one on frozen just in case, they like fish eggs btw and as far as the wrasse if you buy him around 1 and 1/2 inches and add them at the same time i don’t think there would be a problem
that post was from 2015.

edit I didn't realize you couldn't quote quotes

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't. 6 lines are pod eating machines.
Thanks I had him in with the mando's for a couple days then took him out cause everyday he looked pregnant yet wouldn't stop eating, like he was slow or something. Threw him in the sump cause yesterday I found a zoa eating nudi on one of my z's. I took em all (zoas)out n dipped didnt see any eggs. just purchased these zoas and they just come ok outta quarantine. Figured hed help take care of any scragglers maybe the mandarins will get em if theres any left

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In moving my 90 gallon a few month ago I had some fish casualties. I have a reef tank with a bunch of acropora, stylophora, acans, and other coral. And I have a hippo tang, two Cardinal fish, an anthia, and a royal gramma.

I want to add a mandarin and six line wrasse for their beauty and appetite for the things crawling around my love rock (tons of pods and flatworms). Would there be any compatibility issues?

I don't have a quarantine tank and don't have the time for it, unfortunately. Who is the best seller of fish to help avoid stress and/or diseases?

Oh, and I don't have a cover for my tank. I've heard wrasses can be jumpers. Is the risk THAT big?
Avoid Six Line at all cost. I had a pair of Sixline and a pair of Mandarin in a 420 gal tank. They were fine for a long time, at least 18 months, then one day the Sixline pair tag team and attack the female Mandarin. They pecked her eyes out in a few seconds and leave her for death. Pure premeditated murder was my verdict. I was able to get the wrasse pair out and almost flushed them but decided gave them to the LFS instead. I euthanized the female Mandarin a few weeks later.
Don't do it. You will be sorry. It is not easy to get the Sixline out of my tank, but I was highly motivated. They need to go out even if I have to wreak my tank to do it.

Wrasse with open top, the question is when not if you will have fish jerky for your cat.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avoid Six Line at all cost. I had a pair of Sixline and a pair of Mandarin in a 420 gal tank. They were fine for a long time, at least 18 months, then one day the Sixline pair tag team and attack the female Mandarin. They pecked her eyes out in a few seconds and leave her for death. Pure premeditated murder was my verdict. I was able to get the wrasse pair out and almost flushed them but decided gave them to the LFS instead. I euthanized the female Mandarin a few weeks later.
Don't do it. You will be sorry. It is not easy to get the Sixline out of my tank, but I was highly motivated. They need to go out even if I have to wreak my tank to do it.

Wrasse with open top, the question is when not if you will have fish jerky for your cat.
Sad thing is the mandarins appetite is nothing compared to the 6line's

Mandarin appetite is nothing compared to a 6line,in fact my pair of mandarins cant compete with the baby 6line I have. Had 2 move the 6line to the sump he literally wont stop eating everyday, he could barely swim cuz he looked pregnant. He will dissolve a food supply and starve himself to death that's how retarded a 6line is. I love how agile they are plus they're beautiful fish. If it wasn't for the intelligence level of a nat they'd work perfectly along side a mandarin. So you have to choose pair of wrasse or pair of mandarin I chose mandarin. They get along perfect with my other pairs in the tank, they do an incredible job at pest control and they're beauty is unmatched

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back