Thinking of chopping this unidentified acro and regluing

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this freebie acro balancing here on the Nem/Zoa island for several weeks now. Had it at first for observation. Nothing bad has come creeping out of it and it is still not dead, so I think it deserves a permanent spot on a rock. However, the plug is large and cumbersome, so I am wondering if I can just chop it at the stem with bone cutters to then glue it onto a rock. Would the bone cutters crack the skeleton and kill it? I don't have a band saw...

1694360742782.png

Also, any idea what it is? It doesn't have polyps coming out that I can see, but it has maintained its green color all of these weeks, so somehow it is staying alive. Thanks!

zheka757

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i personally would leave it be, when growth will happen i think it will grow from base before anywhere else. if anything cut the top off and let base grow in.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this freebie acro balancing here on the Nem/Zoa island for several weeks now. Had it at first for observation. Nothing bad has come creeping out of it and it is still not dead, so I think it deserves a permanent spot on a rock. However, the plug is large and cumbersome, so I am wondering if I can just chop it at the stem with bone cutters to then glue it onto a rock. Would the bone cutters crack the skeleton and kill it? I don't have a band saw...

1694360742782.png

Also, any idea what it is? It doesn't have polyps coming out that I can see, but it has maintained its green color all of these weeks, so somehow it is staying alive. Thanks!
Looks like what is referred to as green acro and it branches nicely. I'd et it grow before fragging

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1694360742782.png

Yes you can take bond cutters to cut the plug off of the coral. This is often how SPS are fragged. Congrats on the new coral.

Poseidon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chop it at the stem, reglue it where you want and put the stem on a frag rack. You'll have 2 corals and the base might even send out multiple shoots.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 21 13.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back