Thinking of convert to fully sps tank

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, what u guys think if i convert to fully sps with this scape unchange?
24" x 12" x 14" tank without sump.
12109172_10206978503415278_5878946331190860033_n.jpg

New to this forum, please correct me if wrong section post.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! It can be done, but I love what you have there. It's beautiful!

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it can absolutely be done. I don't know your reefing history, but make sure u are ready for sps requirements and growth in a smaller tank. Look into how other sucessful nano sps tanks are ran and find what method works for u. Your scape looks good and will in my opinion look good covered in sps. Also the tang police will likely be here soon those two tangs in that small tank is problematic. Not flaming just throwing it out there.

Last edited:

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you change to sps and you do not have an auto top off system I strongly suggest one.

My sps dominated nano requires daily dosing and maintenance, they are more daunting.

Your tank is really beautiful already.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WilliamWong

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions and comment. Will figure about it ;)

Btw...without a sump tank is really a pain in butt for me sometimes... haha, like a auto top-up will be messy looking to place in my tank, any suggestions?

OP
OP
WilliamWong

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya it can absolutely be done. I don't know your reefing history, but make sure u are ready for sps requirements and growth in a smaller tank. Look into how other sucessful nano sps tanks are ran and find what method works for u. Your scape looks good and will in my opinion look good covered in sps. Also the tang police will likely be here soon those two tangs in that small tank is problematic. Not flaming just throwing it out there.

Just a new player with six months experience =)
Im aware of their growth, will pass or given to others with bigger than when they going to out grow my tank =)

nanoman28g

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, what u guys think if i convert to fully sps with this scape unchange?
24" x 12" x 14" tank without sump.
12109172_10206978503415278_5878946331190860033_n.jpg

New to this forum, please correct me if wrong section post.
I tried to go all SPS on my 10G tank, but I started to miss my nice LPS almost immediately.

OP
OP
WilliamWong

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
11231321_10207024445043790_6773868389335908555_n.jpg

A minor update after clearing out most of my LPS.

It is a tough 1 to go all sps with little volumn of water...but who know, im always inspired with nano tank, worth trying =)

Last edited:

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what you were doing for husbandry with your lps but lps usually require spot feedings. I would think sps would require similar or less demanding husbandry. No spot feedings now. Providing mineral needs would seem less work then all the extra feedings and equipment needs are basically the same. If your equipment can grow lps it should be able to grow sps. I think there is a fallacy in this hobby that sps takes more husbandry than lps.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions and comment. Will figure about it ;)

Btw...without a sump tank is really a pain in *** for me sometimes... haha, like a auto top-up will be messy looking to place in my tank, any suggestions?
Dripping kalk continuously would be my preferred method of topping off.

OP
OP
WilliamWong

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again an update of my current tank, ended up rescape to this which i think is better for sps dominated =)

IMG20151111200429.jpg

reefologist55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in the hobby for over 12 yrs..have setup over 8 tanks!!!! I always went w diy or thw chepest bare min setup and it resulted in tons of agony..money..and time wasted.. My best advise to u is if u want to go sps...and want to rwally enjoy the experience, u must commit. I wouldnt go less than a 90 gal setup. My current systwm is a 60 cube w a 30 gal sump.ive been **attempting to grow sps for the last 2 yrs w/o much success...until now. W this currwnt setup..i have a lot of lr (130 lbs about 70% of tank space) gfo reactor, kent phos sponge media, an ato chamber in sump w ato(saves space), monster reef octopus skimmer rated for 120 gal...w only 3 fish in entire tank..ive dedicated it to be mostly corals...i have an electric doser ..dosing 2 part...im still adjusting my alk a bit....bit im almost there..my levels are almost perfect and stable except for alk ranging from 6.9 to 7.9....sps require a lot of discipline and commitment...also my tank is a mixed reef.

OP
OP
WilliamWong

WilliamWong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in the hobby for over 12 yrs..have setup over 8 tanks!!!! I always went w diy or thw chepest bare min setup and it resulted in tons of agony..money..and time wasted.. My best advise to u is if u want to go sps...and want to rwally enjoy the experience, u must commit. I wouldnt go less than a 90 gal setup. My current systwm is a 60 cube w a 30 gal sump.ive been **attempting to grow sps for the last 2 yrs w/o much success...until now. W this currwnt setup..i have a lot of lr (130 lbs about 70% of tank space) gfo reactor, kent phos sponge media, an ato chamber in sump w ato(saves space), monster reef octopus skimmer rated for 120 gal...w only 3 fish in entire tank..ive dedicated it to be mostly corals...i have an electric doser ..dosing 2 part...im still adjusting my alk a bit....bit im almost there..my levels are almost perfect and stable except for alk ranging from 6.9 to 7.9....sps require a lot of discipline and commitment...also my tank is a mixed reef.

Yup, im clearly aware of what u mentioned, but forced to try my best with current setup due to budget wise and probably going to moved into a new house, then i will be throwing in everything up my sleeve to full fill my "jealousy" on others awesome tank... Anyway, thx for ur advice and really looking into more sharing from u guys in future.

Perculap

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just this year, I've gotten rid of all my old corals (mainly lps) and replaced them with Acros primarily. I'm prepping my future tank for large Angelfish.

It's a 80 gallon with a 36 gallon sump and I am using up 15-18ml or calcium and 18-20ml of alkalinity daily. And we're talking 80% frags - frags not large colonies. So yes, prepare to dose. As others stated, even with my system I don't have a true ATO yet and having issues with stability. Nothing major, bit some corals show stress. It's a pretty crucial component that I didn't really need before.

MOPAR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel a good ATO is a key component to a happy reef and reefer. Also the ability to dose kalkawasser with it is great. If you concerned about looks I think puratek has an ATO that measures the water level from outside the tank. So putting it on the back of the tank will hide it. My personal favorite is the Tunze ATO (not the nano) I have used them on every tank I had with zero issues and a very constant water level.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back