Thinking outside the box . . . or shell

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just wondering what would happen if I were to glue a small GSP onto the shell of one of my trocus snails. Since those snails don't bury themselves in the substrate like a lot of other species, would either the snail or GSP be harmed? Or what if I did the same with a small piece of plating monti?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was just wondering what would happen if I were to glue a small GSP onto the shell of one of my trocus snails. Since those snails don't bury themselves in the substrate like a lot of other species, would either the snail or GSP be harmed? Or what if I did the same with a small piece of plating monti?
I have seen 'stuff' growing on mine - rarely. GSP will rapidly outgrow the shell though - you could trim it. If the question is can you - sure - if the question is 'should you' - I might have a different answer:)

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bet would be that the GSP would eventually grow to a point where it becomes a problem for the snail. The monti I would bet would die from constantly being moved around the tank and not getting consistent light or flow. I have seen snails with a mushroom on their shell before, but I'm not certain how that played out over the long run.

oceanleaf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing to note is that you can't glue GSP directly onto the shell because it's a soft coral.
You have to glue a small piece of rock with GPS attached to the shell instead.
But my opinion is that both the GSP and the snail will be worse off from this.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing to note is that you can't glue GSP directly onto the shell because it's a soft coral.
You have to glue a small piece of rock with GPS attached to the shell instead.
But my opinion is that both the GSP and the snail will be worse off from this.
How does the glue or coral know if it's a rock or shell?

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does the glue or coral know if it's a rock or shell?
I think he was trying to say that GSP would be hard to successfully glue directly to a shell without the substrate that it was attached to initially. So essentially you'd have to glue a gsp covered rock to the shell.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not understanding why gluing GSP to a rock is any easier than a snail shell. The rock is not necessary at all. You can glue the sheet to a snail shell just the same.

\m/reefsnmetal\m/

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'm not understanding why gluing GSP to a rock is any easier than a snail shell. The rock is not necessary at all. You can glue the sheet to a snail shell just the same.
Lets say for example you scrape GSP off the glass and try to glue that to rock, shell, anything at all. I don't think that soft tissue would survive direct contact with super glue. The only way that I've seen GSP grow onto a new surface is by placing something with gsp already on it in close proximity and letting the gsp grow onto it. This is why I'd think that you would have to glue an additional piece of substrate (one with gsp on it) to the shell.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can scrape off sheets of GSP and glue them anywhere. Glue on the bottom side of the sheet does not affect growth on the polyp side whatsoever.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can scrape off sheets of GSP and glue them anywhere. Glue on the bottom side of the sheet does not affect growth on the polyp side whatsoever.
That's been my experience. Granted, I only have one GPS, and when I got him, he had no frag plug or disk, just looked like a small piece of thin cardboard. I glued him to a frag plug and then when I found the right spot for him, I glued the plug to a rock somewhat bigger than a golf ball. He has almost covered the entire rock, sometimes growing as much as a centimeter in a single day.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back