Thinning Silicone

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks,
I’m making an Expanding foam background for my tank, and wanting to coat the back in caulk 100% silicone instead of epoxy.
Silicone is much, much cheaper and more flexible than the epoxy would be, and I have 8 sqft of background to make.
I’ve seen people use Mineral Spirits to thin GE silicone 1 to a paint-like consistency.
However I’m concerned about the mineral spirits leeching anything into the tank. I have months to cure the tank.
I was wondering if anyone has tried it, or knows if mineral spirits will leech.
Thanks,

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternatively, I want to try Serpa Design’s concrete background method. Not the complicated mold one, the one where he basically just pours cement over styrofoam.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh sick. I’ll try it out on a small scale.
CVS sells it Barcode 050428142127.

I used it when making mold and needed it thinner for details/ still cure when thick (out of tube it won’t cure on the inside once a 1/4inch thick skin forms without it).

I’d think mineral spirits would not allow it to cure correctly.

I have no idea if glycerin is reef safe and have never used it in this setting. I would run carbon no matter what you end up doing.

OP
OP
S

Slapp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CVS sells it Barcode 050428142127.

I used it when making mold and needed it thinner for details/ still cure when thick (out of tube it won’t cure on the inside once a 1/4inch thick skin forms without it).

I’d think mineral spirits would not allow it to cure correctly.

I have no idea if glycerin is reef safe and have never used it in this setting. I would run carbon no matter what you end up doing.
People have used glycerin as a source of carbon before, it should be safe.
However, I’ve decided to go the route of a cement background. I think it will look nicer in the end, and is 100% safe after curing.
thanks anyways

Back