This has killed 2 corals and i don't know what it is.

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. As the title says whatever this stuff is has killed 2 expensive corals. Ive had cyano and this seems totally different. It covers the coral like a blanket and once the coral is bleached it just disappears. I tried washing it off and it just comes back and it's really aggressive. It doesn't spread to other corals. It just vanishes once the particular coral is dead. Any idea on what it is and what causes it? Thanks in advance.

Edit: i added a couple pictures as requested 20220106_144350.jpg 20220106_144339.jpg

Attachments

• 20220106_114515.mp4
    12.1 MB
Last edited:

DE FISH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video isn’t working any pics ?

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. As the title says whatever this stuff is has killed 2 expensive corals. Ive had cyano and this seems totally different. It covers the coral like a blanket and once the coral is bleached it just disappears. I tried washing it off and it just comes back and it's really aggressive. It doesn't spread to other corals. It just vanishes once the particular coral is dead. Any idea on what it is and what causes it? Thanks in advance.
Seems like an infection or some kind of necrosis.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It closely resembles cyano, but it looks really thick and its odd it would only be on the coral tissue then dissappears. I would lean towards a bacterial or infectious coral disease

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks guys. Was in required Zoom meeting for work.
Can someone Circled or direct me to area of concern? Images look pink on my screen and making me miss what is being addressed.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. Was in required Zoom meeting for work.
Can someone Circled or direct me to area of concern? Images look pink on my screen and making me miss what is being addressed.
I think it's an entire pink blanket over a Monty or something that is in question.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I actually realized video and that made it easy to spot.
This stuff is red slime bacteria very similar to cyano and often mistaken for cyano will suffocate coral. The reason it seems to disappear and reappear is that it breaks down with no light and regenerates in the daylight/light. They form little blankets and sticks to most any surface.
Siphoning and adding media such as Chemipure blue or elite will break down the compounds that help it form in addition to adding inverts such as Pencil urchins, pin cushion urchin, barribean blue leg hermits, nerite-cerith-margarita and trochus snails will also help - AFTER CLEANING.
Important to know also is, what caused/causes this:
  • High Nitrates: Dirty filters socks, infrequent water changes, poor OR no protein skimmer
  • High Phosphates: Poor water quality, not using RODI water, overfeeding.
  • Inadequate filtration
  • Inadequate water flow.
  • Insufficient Skimming: improper sized Protein skimmer.
  • Infrequent Water Changes: Nutrient levels can become elevated or imbalanced.
Also Ultra Life products sells red slime remover that does work. For me. its an alternative and not always solution. ChemiClean May work, but no assurance

moz71

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's working for other ppl
Other than connecting a YouTube video , attached videos don’t show on IOS phones. Only on computer! That’s why some people don’t see it! Just an fyi hope you solve your issue!! Also not sure about other phones

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than connecting a YouTube video , attached videos don’t show on IOS phones. Only on computer! That’s why some people don’t see it! Just an fyi hope you solve your issue!! Also not sure about other phones
It works if you download the file. That’s what I do on my Ipad.

OP
OP
D

Deadlocked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This stuff is red slime bacteria very similar to cyano and often mistaken for cyano will suffocate coral. The reason it seems to disappear and reappear is that it breaks down with no light and regenerates in the daylight/light. They form little blankets and sticks to most any surface.
Siphoning and adding media such as Chemipure blue or elite will break down the compounds that help it form in addition to adding inverts such as Pencil urchins, pin cushion urchin, barribean blue leg hermits, nerite-cerith-margarita and trochus snails will also help - AFTER CLEANING.
  • High Nitrates: Dirty filters socks, infrequent water changes, poor OR no protein skimmer
  • Inadequate filtration
  • Inadequate water flow.
Also Ultra Life products sells red slime remover that does work. For me. its an alternative and not always solution. ChemiClean May work, but no assurance
Wow thank you. You don't think it's brown jelly disease?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • Inadequate filtration
  • Inadequate water flow.
Who u be?? Hahahhah
Were in the same city.. and im a long time reefer prolly know ya..
Bmw all the way tho

Back