This hobby is just impossible!

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just close this thread. Clearly OP not particularly interested in hearing what it seems like everyones advice is - which is just to simplify a new tank and stop all the unnecessary fiddling. By all means, keep dosing and scrubbing and feeding nutrients to corals that don't actually need any of that, sounds like its going swimmingly.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
About the nitrates and phosphates, I'm dosing them to keep them high because there's no fish in the tank. The only other livestock I can see are some bristle worms.

If I don't dose them, the turf scrubber will strip all the nutrients down in like 3-4 weeks. It's crazy how fast that works. I'm not sure why nitrates/phos at my levels will kill GSP within a few months. That makes no sense.

Th reason I don't have fish is so that I can feed the corals directly without having the fish act as a "middleman" in distributing nitrates/phos. The turf scrubber is there to remove excess nitrate/phos from feeding.

-I have reef roids I plan to feed if nutrients go too low.

-Using RO/DI water from LFS (they sell coral and tanks are doing well)

-Using Hanna Salinity Tester to check for salinity.

-Using Brightwell salt

-Considering a few corals already bleached, I don't want to turn up the light.

-Will rent par meter from local reefing club. 2 month wait.
Stop with the turf scrubber. It's not needed in that size tank. Then stop dosing. Water changes.

Kathy Floyd

ktfloyd01
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you know sometimes I come by people that ask for help, but is difficult to help because they are doing everything perfectly.
why listen to other when your way of doing things is the right way?
oh the corals are dying right?
Thought the same thing.

EugeneVan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just close this thread. Clearly OP not particularly interested in hearing what it seems like everyones advice is - which is just to simplify a new tank and stop all the unnecessary fiddling. By all means, keep dosing and scrubbing and feeding nutrients to corals that don't actually need any of that, sounds like its going swimmingly.
When it comes to OP like that, I am speechless. There is another thread fron R2R, OP is ask for help and guess what, he won't listen to anyone but his coral are keeping dying. No wonder so many people drop out of this wonderful hobby after 3 months or so.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby isn't very intuitive. It fools you into thinking you have to struggle and overcome great complexity when in reality, you really don't. This is how I've ran tanks ranging from ten gallons to forty seven gallons: I did a small water change every week and if I saw nuisance algae growing on stuff, I removed it in the process. If I saw the sand and rocks getting "dusty" with what I thought was fine algae back then, I just used a turkey baster to blast it off/stirred the sand and skipped that week's water change. That's literally it. I didn't carbon dose back then. I didn't run an ATS. I didn't send my water off for ICP testing and dose this and that desperately trying to hit the water parameter equivalent of landing an f-18 super hornet on the rolling deck of an aircraft carrier. Oh no, my aluminum is too high! Wave off! wave off! I JUST DID WATER CHANGES and adjusted the percentage based on how "dirty" the tank looked. Sure, it sounds boring and low-tech but it worked for me again and again on different systems. Now that becomes trickier to pull off on large tanks. I get that. But for most of us with a sub-90 gallon system, it's just one of those things where if you do ONE thing wrong, the tank will suffer for it. When you do eighteen billion different things thinking you're making the tank perform better, you're usually just adding more chances to do something wrong and negatively impact the tank. Just my 2C. My first reef tank (32 bowfront). Water changes only, low-tier equipment such as finnex ray II led lighting and pretty much zero testing TBH. (Ah those were the days).
9AB9949A-3BDB-4BAB-B177-85CAA37A67AC.jpeg

Last edited:

emmysnewtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby isn't very intuitive. It fools you into thinking you have to struggle and overcome great complexity when in reality, you really don't. This is how I've ran tanks ranging from ten gallons to forty seven gallons: I did a small water change every week and if I saw nuisance algae growing on stuff, I removed it in the process. If I saw the sand and rocks getting "dusty" with what I thought was fine algae back then, I just used a turkey baster to blast it off/stirred the sand and skipped that week's water change. That's literally it. I didn't carbon dose back then. I didn't run an ATS. I didn't send my water off for ICP testing and dose this and that desperately trying to hit the water parameter equivalent of landing an f-18 super hornet on the rolling deck of an aircraft carrier. Oh no, my aluminum is too high! Wave off! wave off! I JUST DID WATER CHANGES and adjusted the percentage based on how "dirty" the tank looked. Sure, it sounds boring and low-tech but it worked for me again and again on different systems. Now that becomes trickier to pull off on large tanks. I get that. But for most of us with a sub-90 gallon system, it's just one of those things where if you do ONE thing wrong, the tank will suffer for it. When you do eighteen billion different things thinking you're making the tank perform better, you're usually just adding more chances to do something wrong and negatively impact the tank. Just my 2C. My first reef tank (32 bowfront). Water changes only, low-tier equipment such as finnex ray II led lighting and pretty much zero testing TBH. (Ah those were the days).
9AB9949A-3BDB-4BAB-B177-85CAA37A67AC.jpeg

I think you are making the argument that this hobby IS/CAN Be very intuitive. The more we overcomplicate that tougher it gets....but if we just use our intuition (especially for smaller systems) and make slight changes when we see things going wrong...

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are making the argument that this hobby IS/CAN Be very intuitive. The more we overcomplicate that tougher it gets....but if we just use our intuition (especially for smaller systems) and make slight changes when we see things going wrong...
I say so in a "not readily learned or understood sense". There's so much to this hobby TO learn, but trying to do so early on creates a situation where reefers can drastically overcomplicate maintenance, leading to failure. It takes time of doing the absolutely most basic things, understanding WHY you're doing them and then slowly going down the rabbit hole vs. diving down it head first.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I stop using the ATS and nutrients increase after feeding, that's supposed to fix my tank? Reef roids increase nitrates in my tank and without ATS, it's going to be out of control.

If I did water changes to lower nutrients, wouldn't that cause even more instability?

Also, doing water changes in the past didn't lower phos in a meaningful way, it would just increase again the next day.

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10 years ago I made the mistake of having fish in the tank. Feeding the fish and feeding oyster feast caused a massive crash to the tank, and then I gave up.

That's why I'm doing it differently by not having fish and having ATS so the heavy feedings don't crash the tank or cause massive hair algae issues.

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't figure out what's wrong with my tank. I tried keeping coral 10 years ago and they all died without me ever figuring out the problem. I figured I'd try again this year, but my coral are dying and I can't figure it out again.

I got a 10 gallon tank and cycled it for 2 months in the dark. No diatoms or cyano ever broke out. It went perfectly. Ammonia converted to nitrate within hours.

Set Up:

AI Prime HD: 25% for UV, Royal Blue, Violet, and Blue for 7 hours with 1 hour for ramp up and another hour for ramp down; 10% whites for 2 hours with 30 min ramp up and down time.
Algae turf scrubber: For nutrient export. Since I'm not keeping any fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc., I'm dosing Red Sea AB+ and Brightwell Nitrate and phosphate to keep nutrients up.

Parameters:

Temp: 78F (using Inkbird temp controller)
Nitrates: 30-40 ppm (using Hanna Checker)
Phosphate: 0.10-0.20 ppm (using Hanna Checker)
dKH: ~8
SG: 1.023 (increasing this slowly to 1.024)

Livestock:

GSP: Almost dead within a few months
Zoas: Some open, other frags closed, and 2 frags completely died
Ricordea Florida: 1 bleached and didn't survive, another bleached but hanging in there. All other ricordea lost some bubbles and became smooth and dark blue (see photos)
Rhodactis Mushroom: 1 bleached, one doing very well, and one lost it's texture and became smooth (see before and after photo below).
Candy Crush mushroom: died within a month
St. Thomas Mushroom: Doing very well.

IMG_4171.png

IMG_4173.png

Before:

IMG_4191.jpg

After:

Picture1.png
Your parameters are certainly not perfectly ideal but they wouldn't kill anything that quick. It's possible there is some random metal or something leeching into the water. Have you tried anything like polyfilter to remove those things?

OP
OP
F

FrostyKevin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's unstable about the tank? Nitrates are consistently between 30-40 ppm and phos is between 0.10-0.20 ppm. The only thing keeping it from skyrocketing even further is the ATS.

tommygu s265

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just can't figure out what's wrong with my tank. I tried keeping coral 10 years ago and they all died without me ever figuring out the problem. I figured I'd try again this year, but my coral are dying and I can't figure it out again.

I got a 10 gallon tank and cycled it for 2 months in the dark. No diatoms or cyano ever broke out. It went perfectly. Ammonia converted to nitrate within hours.

Set Up:

AI Prime HD: 25% for UV, Royal Blue, Violet, and Blue for 7 hours with 1 hour for ramp up and another hour for ramp down; 10% whites for 2 hours with 30 min ramp up and down time.
Algae turf scrubber: For nutrient export. Since I'm not keeping any fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc., I'm dosing Red Sea AB+ and Brightwell Nitrate and phosphate to keep nutrients up.

Parameters:

Temp: 78F (using Inkbird temp controller)
Nitrates: 30-40 ppm (using Hanna Checker)
Phosphate: 0.10-0.20 ppm (using Hanna Checker)
dKH: ~8
SG: 1.023 (increasing this slowly to 1.024)

Livestock:

GSP: Almost dead within a few months
Zoas: Some open, other frags closed, and 2 frags completely died
Ricordea Florida: 1 bleached and didn't survive, another bleached but hanging in there. All other ricordea lost some bubbles and became smooth and dark blue (see photos)
Rhodactis Mushroom: 1 bleached, one doing very well, and one lost it's texture and became smooth (see before and after photo below).
Candy Crush mushroom: died within a month
St. Thomas Mushroom: Doing very well.

IMG_4171.png

IMG_4173.png

Before:

IMG_4191.jpg

After:

Picture1.png
Don’t get discouraged you are literally playing the roll of Mother Nature and god at the same time. It’s not an easy hobby or cheap but it is well worth it. Though smaller tanks are harder to keep the parameters in check it’s possible a lot of people do it. The best advice I can give is study your tank, log the parameters, track the trends and ask for help and from here you will learn from your mistakes and enjoy it at the same time. Good luck!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I stop using the ATS and nutrients increase after feeding, that's supposed to fix my tank? Reef roids increase nitrates in my tank and without ATS, it's going to be out of control.

If I did water changes to lower nutrients, wouldn't that cause even more instability?

Also, doing water changes in the past didn't lower phos in a meaningful way, it would just increase again the next day.
Are you suggesting that doing water changes weekly will cause instability?
You're also contradicting yourself when you say "doing water changes would cause more instability but also doing water changes in the past didn't lower my phos in a meaningful way"

Honestly it's hard to find a thread on this forum were the consensus is pretty much the same and yet you won't listen to anyone's advise because of... Ignorance?
What's unstable about the tank? Nitrates are consistently between 30-40 ppm and phos is between 0.10-0.20 ppm. The only thing keeping it from skyrocketing even further is the ATS.
IF YOU STOP DOSING NITRATES AND PHOSPHATES YOU WOULDN'T NEED THE ATS!

I think this thread needs to be locked, you've gotten the help but we can't help you if you don't help yourself.

zdrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you sure about this? If you stopped dosing entirely, and removed the turf scrubber, you would have out-of-control nitrates? Did you actually experience this with this tank? What is your reef roid feeding schedule? Photosynthetic corals really, really don't need that much food. In fact, they often don't need any food at all. I get the impression that you are either feeding WAY to much or just preemptively preparing for a problem that doesn't exist.

How large were these water changes? Large % water changes are needed to really make a difference in nutrients. In a 10 gallon this should be easy. In my 10 gallon, I do large water changes with enough frequency that I don't need to dose anything and I actually have some modest problems keeping my nutrients high enough. The only form of nutrient export on this tank is the water changes.

10 years ago I made the mistake of having fish in the tank. Feeding the fish and feeding oyster feast caused a massive crash to the tank, and then I gave up.

That's why I'm doing it differently by not having fish and having ATS so the heavy feedings don't crash the tank or cause massive hair algae issues.
If keeping fish were really the mistake here, than how do 99.9% of reefers successfully keep fish with corals? It sounds like the problem was overfeeding the fish (or something else, who knows). The mistake was not that you had fish, the mistake was how you took care of the fish. Lots of people have reefs the same size as yours with fish and without a scrubber with no tank crashes.

As other people have mentioned, nitrates and phosphates this high are not ideal, but probably not the main issue. If I had readings like that in my tank I would probably take some small steps to reduce those numbers a tad, nothing drastic though. However, you do realize that the reason the nitrate and phosphate are that high while running the scrubber is because you are dosing, right? It makes literally zero sense to run the scrubber AND dose nitrate and phosphate. It's like trying to wash dishes in a sink filled with pasta sauce.

If I were you, I would stop dosing nitrate and phosphate. I would wait a bit until the nitrate was under about 20 ppm, and the phosphate was less than or equal to 0.1 and I would remove the scrubber. I would reduce coral feedings some (it sounds like you're feeding too much), and I would monitor the water quality. Considering that you don't need to feed the corals you have at all, you could just feed enough to keep the nitrate and phosphate stable and low. I would also increase the light intensity and photoperiod as I already mentioned.

Also, I realize you haven't mentioned anything about flow? What is the flow like in the tank? The three pillars of keeping coral are water quality, light, and flow. Flow is extremely important for coral health, equally as important as the other two pillars.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not enough light......

Crank it up, i really cannot understand this opsession with par meter, using lights at 10%.....

Yes, you can hurt coral if u expose it to bright light without time to coral to adapt, but, this killing is fast, very intense light will hurt coral in matter of hours/days, not months....

After that, there is no real limit how much par one can have.....

I seen softies few inches below mh or very strong leds, and they growing like weed.... By the par theory, they should be long time dead.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back