This is what I've dreamed of for so long! Testing for microbes in our tanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t read this entire thread yet, but are there a few bacterial products that are recommended over others if the bacteria count is low?

I use some of Dr. Tim’s products from time to time and have noticed a big difference.

Difference in what?

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your preliminary findings on live rock vs. bottles makes me want to send a sample when i finally use the dry rock that has been cycling in the bay behind my house for the last 6 months lol.

@AquaBiomics
Can your testing method also reveal the bacterial makeup of multicellular organisms included in a sample? As an example Holospora in some paramecium.
Interesting question. In principle, if it's captured on the filter and can be amplified with 16S primers I'll see it.

Extraction of DNA from environmental microbial samples is part of the art here. To get everything, or as close as possible, I use a machine that violently shakes the filters in a detergent solution with sterile glass beads. Then incubate at 70°C and 90°C to help lyse even the tough gram-positive cells. This is similar to what we did for plants with their tough cell walls. And animal cells are flimsy in comparison. So basically, my expectation is: if its on the filter, we'll see it in the data.

AquaBiomics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reached out to Eli about testing some 20 gallon tanks that have only been started with bacteria in a bottle formulations.

Exact same tanks, exact same conditions, and he would test the results.

Any suggestions on bacteria to test?
I am thinking Tim's one and only, stability, and biospira.

Any others? Maybe drop one off the list and sub another? I only have 3 empty 20 gallon tanks.
I want to cast my vote firmly in favor of dedicating one tank to a control - identical everything else, but no bottled bacteria. It is frustrating in a sense to dedicate a whole tank to something you don't expect to work... but I think its pretty essential for interpreting the results. Boring but important? :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less algae, water is more clear, and just overall I seem to have a healthier more stable tank.

Less algae would seem to be an unusual result of adding bacteria.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difference in what?

Randy...BTW the products were Dr. Tim’s Waste Away, Eco Balance, & Refresh. I can say 100% his products are definitely not snake oil. If they were I’d definitely let you guys know.

The first time I used Waste Away, I went to bed like normal. At about 2 a.m. I woke up to use the bathroom and heard a strange noise coming from the tank. After investigating I determined that my pipes were a lot more open. The Waste Away had actually unclogged them quite a bit.

FYI, for anybody planning to dose with Acropora in the system. It can affect pH and oxygen. Probably a good idea to run an air-stone or keep the skimmer running with the top off and let it overflow. Start with less than 1/2 dose initially and build up to the recommended dose over 2-3 weeks. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent my test out last Friday on my 26 year old reef tank. Very interested to see the results...
20191018_074731.jpg

@Scubabum why you gotta confuse me refkpr! I tried to @ your name and it didn’t pop up. Lol.

So how did the results turn out with running the maintenance dose of Waste Away? Interested to see the results. I started using Eco Balance as well. Not scheduled, but just when I feel the tank could benefit.

I wonder how Prodibio would test? Will it beat Dr. Tim’s or Not? Hmm....

lexinverts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AquaBiomics how much is the test and how long is the turn around?

Sounds like a good screen share for a YouTube video. :)

Here's a link to the website, where all of those questions are answered:

Samina

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I am very late to this party but I looked through a good bit of this thread and am super excited. I think this is the type of effort and ingenuity that will drive our hobby forward and in turn help us all as we will have more knowledge and data to work with. I am very curious about my own setup!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What results should we expect from products like Waste Away, Eco Balance, Or Prodibio?

To be honest, I'm not sure. IMO, they are not a clearly needed product in most reef tanks. Lower organic levels, probably. Not sure if that is good or bad or neutral. Maybe lower nitrate if these contain denitrifiers.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less algae would seem to be an unusual result of adding bacteria.
Hmm vibrant claims to be bacteria and a blend of stuff they wont mention, but also seem to show results on hair algae. Thoughts?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's another interesting question which this testing may shed light on.
How does carbon dosing affect the balance of microbes in the aquarium?
There's not much doubt that the circulating bacterial concentration is higher overall during carbon dosing.
But to what degree does it change the ecological balance of the microfauna?
And if the microbial diversity changes, what effect does that have on corals and anemones?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm vibrant claims to be bacteria and a blend of stuff they wont mention, but also seem to show results on hair algae. Thoughts?

Not sure what exactly vibrant is, and I agree it has unusual claims/effects that aren't likely related to nutrients (IMO).

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I'm not sure. IMO, they are not a clearly needed product in most reef tanks. Lower organic levels, probably. Not sure if that is good or bad or neutral. Maybe lower nitrate if these contain denitrifiers.

Randy the main two reasons I dose bacteria are because my heavy skimming and possible predation. I feel like my skimmer is pulling out some of my bacteria population. I also think some of our bacteria are being consumed by other organisms. My tank seems off sometimes and when I dose bacteria it improves. This could be because the bacteria population was low and has now been replenished again. Or... the bacteria removed some of the organic matter and N&P. Either way, you should pick up a bottle of Waste Away or Eco Balance Wink Wink :) Refresh is good too. Dr. Tim’s products work!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 52.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.9%
Back