This isn’t normal??

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had my water tested with ATI. Can someone tell me why this alkalinity level is considered critical?
IMG_5067.jpeg

Patoche

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

ATI consider 7.5dKH is a good value for KH, so with 10.73 it's almost 50% variation, so they say this is too high, and critical !

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s just their opinion. High alkalinity tanks can work so long as nutrients are adequate.

The highest recommended level is 11-12dKH, mainly because of precipitation risk.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

ATI consider 7.5dKH is a good value for KH, so with 10.73 it's almost 50% variation, so they say this is too high, and critical !
I get that THEY say that but everything I see has a normal range
That’s just their opinion. High alkalinity tanks can work so long as nutrients are adequate.

The highest recommended level is 11-12dKH, mainly because of precipitation risk.
Thanks, I guess that’s what I was getting at. I’ve always seen that anywhere between 8-12 was “normal”. I do not dose at all and my Hanna meter consistently measures in the 9’s (has for months) so I’m not too crazy about the discrepancy in readings either.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One needs to recognize that all of the guidelines that an ICP company throws out reflect their opinion. Many times the guidelines do not even contain natural seawater levels where corals obviously thrive, so it is important that we sometimes look deeper than their recommendations.

Curiously, ATI actually says 8-12 dKH on their own web site (which also does not include natural seawater levels).
Maybe the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing at ATI. lol

"What are the Proper Levels for a Reef Tank: 8-12 dkh"

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 29 32.6%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 15 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back