This Newbie Numbskull made a mistake...What is in refractometer calibration solution?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ENARP
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

ENARP

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 8, 2016
Messages
138
Reaction score
77
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I was grabbing the Dr. Tim's Ammonia bottle, but grabbed the calibration solution and added about 30 drops before I realized it. Did I just nuke my tank?
 
It's probably Ultrapure water.... distilled.
 
That is totally something I would do, except it would probably be hot sauce and not calibration solution...

It is likely fine, although, it should say on the bottle what the solution contains. At the very least, there should be a brand or type or something we can use to check.
 
I looked on the bottle and there is no skull and crossbones or ingredients. Once the "freakin' out" about doing it finally wore off, I did finally find something online about making the solution with table salt and purified water. I think I am good.....gonna make a drink and calm down. Thanks for the replies!!! Mods can delete this post so it doesn't waste space and everyone doesn't see what a D.A. I am.....
 
Just salt water at 1.025 sg.
 
lol If thats the worst you do you are lucky. I have knocked a full glass of beer I had sitting on my tan into the tank. Thought for sure my tank was toast. It was a 55 gal and the beer didnt do anything put raise the ph from 7.9 to 8.2. However I bet you pay more attention to what you are adding to the tank next time
 
Lesson Learned......Luckily there is no where to set a Beer or Bourbon glass...or I could see that happening here also.......Just freaked out for a few minutes and was mad at myself after being so careful to this point. Thanks for the reassurance that the tank is ok.....
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new