This sucks this really sucks

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have a Nero 5 pump on my tank going about 20% and this morning I look behind my pump to see my dead fish being sucked into it I’m hoping he was dead before he got held against it and the pump didn’t kill him but that’s not what I’m feeling
This really sucks

8158B756-CDBE-45DF-98D6-77046D8D70A0.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately these things happen. Can you show us pics of your setup? Maybe we can help come up with a plan to keep it from happening again. Lots of neat 3D printed items available for this type of thing.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you have one of the new Nero 5 fish guards on the pump? If not, I'd contact AI and get one, just in case.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish was either dead or nearly dead when it got stuck on the pump. A healthy fish should always be able to swim away from a powerhead. It still sucks, but at least maybe you can feel better about it.

Not necessarily. We had a Lawnmower Blenny that decided to perch on a mp40 when it kicked on and he didn't fare too well, as well as a couple of Green Rasboras that got sucked into a return pump when I didn't realize how small they were in relation to the pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It could be either way- after death or the cause of death. Nero is like a vegimatic and Ai have released Nero 5 guards for their pumps which I believe is at No charge.

Last edited:

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessarily. We had a Lawnmower Blenny that decided to perch on a mp40 when it kicked on and he didn't fare too well, as well as a couple of Green Rasboras that got sucked into a return pump when I didn't realize how small they were in relation to the pump.
I think a perching fish that sits in the powerhead when it turns on is a different situation. A return pump is also a different situation; I’ve had that happen too (unfortunately).

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a perching fish that sits in the powerhead when it turns on is a different situation. A return pump is also a different situation; I’ve had that happen too (unfortunately).
You're right, a perching fish is a different situation. I re-read the original post and realized that his return pump was only operating at 20% so I think you are correct. I have had healthy fish sucked into a return so that kind of came to my mind first.

Unfortunately, losing fish happens in this hobby.

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Nero 5 pump on my tank going about 20% and this morning I look behind my pump to see my dead fish being sucked into it I’m hoping he was dead before he got held against it and the pump didn’t kill him but that’s not what I’m feeling
This really sucks

Any advice I even have the guard and it’s killed two fish

ScubaSkeets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've lost a few fish that were found being stuck to the intake of my pump. One was a Long Nosed Butterfly that had no symptoms of being sick. One was a second Long Nosed Butterfly that had a few spots of Ich, but was seemingly healing and was very active and showing no signs of distress when I saw it not long before I found it dead stuck to the pump. One was a Coral Beauty, that had a very bad case of Ich, but did not seem like it was dying, but wasn't very active, and unfortunately liked to hang around the corner where the pump is.
I've since attached a piece of black filtering sponge on the intake that leaves no space between the back of the pump and the glass of the tank.

reefviper101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really sucks

Yes your right that sucks my sympathies for your loss

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back