brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s that one we’ve been working on in the new tankers forum

Its not that Paul’s method failed, it’s that it’s proponents failed to recruit a single work example even in the beginning stages given ample time and it will continue in this state of exchange. The fish disease forum provides a standard: each post isn’t esoteric info posted for pages.

here, entrants are given specific steps for disease control, specific time frames for completion, and are earning well above statistically significant rates of retention.

the thread above could not earn one single test because nobody believes the method enough to try it carefully documented start to finish.

the only proofs I care about in reefing are work thread patterns, until actual tanks are built and ran in that link above without qt and fallow and we can track outcomes, I’ll never believe it. We have no trouble producing hundreds of work thread pages for all kinds of reef tests (cycling start dates, peroxide, sandbed swaps, tank relocation work threads, cyano beating work threads, pico reefs)

a no fallow no qt advice thread is equally capable of taking on jobs to discover patterns.

Last edited:

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only thing I want to point out is The misconception that a QT tank has to be expensive.

Airline is 4 dollars
Air pump is 10 dollars
A bucket is 3 dollars or a larger plastic tote is 10-15 dollars.
Instant ocean is 13 dollars for 50 gallons.

A heater will be the biggest expense but I don’t always use those. I know of one person who just uses two vases and a airline/pump for TTM.

It does however take time and energy and QT can be straight up draining.
Thats fair but also assumes you are starting from square one and don't have 10ish fish in several tanks. Space and time are usually the limiting factors and I don't want to botch a QT process on a healthy fish and have it die.

Not trying to pick a fight as Brandon's mind was made up before he even started the thread. I only was picturing my 9 fish in a vase crammed gill to gill.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is nothing here to investigate or figure out.
It's all a crap shoot.
There are about a billion variables that are in play with this subject.
It's a non starter.
Agreed. I'm a firm believer in the scientific method, and if anyone comes up with a step-by-step guide for a disease-free QT-less tank, that can be replicated in all new builds, I'm all in.

And the debate here is about disease, in any case. Is anyone doubting the fact that quarantine (if only for quick treatment and observation) is the only sure means of getting rid of problem hitchhikers, algae, and pest anemones?

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think there are a lot of tanks that serve as examples, though they may not be posting in the attached thread. i have a few friends that do not qt. all of their tanks have had ich and/or some sort of fish loss. coincidentally, these same people who don't qt, also imo do not have a solid understanding of fish parasites and disease.

1. one friend told me that his tank doesnt have ich. i asked him how he accomplished that and he said by keeping good water quality and feeding well. prior to this he lost a powder blue and possibly some other fish to ich. he currently has fish in his tank including a purple tang. however i did confirm his tank currently has ich though he denies it.

2. another friend lost his entire tank to ich or velvet, but he decided to go the natural route and wait the disease out a little and reintroduce fish - he has done so successfully in the sense that he has fish in his tank that arent dying.

3. another friend added a powder blue to his tank and 5 out of 7 of his fish broke out in ich. he pulled just the fish that broke out in ich and treated those. i do not know the status of his tank as of today but his plan was to reintroduce all the fish aside from the powder blue without doing a 76 day fallow period or pulling the fish that werent visibly infected.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats fair but also assumes you are starting from square one and don't have 10ish fish in several tanks. Space and time are usually the limiting factors and I don't want to botch a QT process on a healthy fish and have it die.

Not trying to pick a fight as Brandon's mind was made up before he even started the thread. I only was picturing my 9 fish in a vase crammed gill to gill.
A 45g tub is 15 bucks at Home Depot. I removed my 16 fish into two of these and QT them as I wanted a clean slate after 10 years of ich management before the next upgrade.

it tiring and I lost sleep with work but it was over in 13 days of TTM. So just 13 days of torture lol

Probobly not worth doing for just ich unless you plan on Achilles tangs or other Expert disease prone fish or plan to QT all inverts (otherwise it can come back on coral and it’s all for nothing).

It’s a personal choice and both can work. I did one way for 10 years and now I am trying another way.

OP
OP
brandon429

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread I linked truly harmed the hobby in my opinion given time to mature, there is too much daily work here in the forum for new diseased tanks, the bridge was not made and I can't see the thread as helpful, I feel its directly harmful to the hobby given a while for patterns to work out.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back