Brook? QT? What next?

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have a relatively new tank (4 months), BioCube 32g. (specifics below)

I had a pair of Ocellaris Clownfish. I lost one, apparently due to aggression. I waited 5 days then, after no signs of illness, I bought a smaller Clownfish to go with the survivor. There was no sign of aggression with the new little one. However, I did see signs of stress. The new little fish did not eat as enthusiastically as the other fish. I thought it was normal adjustment to the new tank and food (pellets and frozen mysis). Then the fish started to look thin with a white film (not spots) on its body. It did not survive.

No, I did not quarantine the new fish. I am looking into setting up a quarantine tank now. The remaining clown and the diamond Goby both look completely healthy with no signs of stress or disease.

Now I'm trying to decide what to do next.
1) I will set up a QT for any new fish.
Right now I don't know if I will ever add any more fish. Maybe I will just add more corals. And I need to quarantine corals too?
2) Should I remove the two fish and treat them for disease, leaving the DT fallow?
I worry that the process would be very stressful to the fish. An empty tank with no biological filtration?
If a take the filter sponge from the DT, won't I just bring disease into the QT along with the good bacteria?

I don't want to give up on SW, but I sure don't want to have more fish die if I can help it.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10, Phosphate 0.1, pH 8.1,Calcium 410, Magnesium 1320, Alkalinity 8.0, Salinity 1.023.
The DT includes live rock with barnacles, feather dusters, macroalgae, coraline.
Ocellaris Clownfish (1)
Diamond Goby (1)
Peppermint shrimp (3)
Scarlet hermit crabs (3), dwarf hermit crabs (3), Pithos crabs (3), porcelain crab (1)
Cerith, nassarius, trochus snails, limpets
Pulsing Xenia, branching GSP, Ricordea mushroom, torch coral

Thanks,
Debbie

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brook. I'd recommend quarantining all fish with paraguard. I am not a fan of using pure formalin due to the cancer risks. You should still handle paraguard with gloves and glasses if possible. The next option would be rally pro, but the idea of it being reef safe makes me feel hesitant about it's effectiveness on brook or safety for inverts

To cycle a qt, take either biomedia or similar from the display and put it in the QT or buy a big bottle of biospira or fritz turbo.

As for corals and inverts, technically yes they should be isolated. I isolate mine for 45 days at 81F in a 10 gallon away from the display tank. Be careful as some snails don't tolerate warmer temperatures. I haven't had an issue with my snails.

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is Brook. I'd recommend quarantining all fish with paraguard. I am not a fan of using pure formalin due to the cancer risks. You should still handle paraguard with gloves and glasses if possible. The next option would be rally pro, but the idea of it being reef safe makes me feel hesitant about it's effectiveness on brook or safety for inverts
Well…. I gave Ruby rally pro a shot in my display after my clowns broke out with brook! I dosed 6 times the recommended dose “ on accident” oops, with sps, clams, inverts and every coral you can think of… not a single causality and my brook is gone and everyone is happy! This was like 3 months ago..
IMG_1756.jpeg

IMG_1755.jpeg

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be setting up a QT. How likely is it to be Brook since the two other fish are 100% fine?

I've read a lot over the past few days. There are really mixed reviews about Rally Pro. I'm glad to read it worked for you and didn't harm corals!

I'll have to read more about paraguard. Thanks!

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback. I'll definitely be setting up a QT. How likely is it to be Brook since the two other fish are 100% fine?

I've read a lot over the past few days. There are really mixed reviews about Rally Pro. I'm glad to read it worked for you and didn't harm corals!

I'll have to read more about paraguard. Thanks!

PS paraguard is an aldehyde malachite green mix. I had an anecdotal success with it curing some customers fish of brook. Given that it is an aldehyde mix, it makes sense. I wonder about the mixed reviews of rally is they were actually trying to treat brook or some other issue that it really doesn't treat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS paraguard is an aldehyde malachite green mix. I had an anecdotal success with it curing some customers fish of brook. Given that it is an aldehyde mix, it makes sense. I wonder about the mixed reviews of rally is they were actually trying to treat brook or some other issue that it really doesn't treat.
I was reading about paraguard and it said "Not recommended for reef aquaria. As an alternative, use Seachem’s MetroPlex™." Do people commonly use paraguard in QT (without inverts)?

I looked at MetroPlex and it said to combine with food and Focus. Apparently that makes it reef safe. I'm so worried about causing harm to the fish or the inverts/corals. Nothing is without risk. I'll have to decide what's next then proceed slowly and carefully.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading about paraguard and it said "Not recommended for reef aquaria. As an alternative, use Seachem’s MetroPlex™." Do people commonly use paraguard in QT (without inverts)?

I looked at MetroPlex and it said to combine with food and Focus. Apparently that makes it reef safe. I'm so worried about causing harm to the fish or the inverts/corals. Nothing is without risk. I'll have to decide what's next then proceed slowly and carefully.

Paraguard would need to be done in a quarantine tank without inverts. Don't bother with metroplex and focus being fed as the exact dosage is nearly impossible to accurately get for someone in the hobby. Im also not quite confident in metro being effective for brook.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Paraguard rarely works and Ruby rally more effective but need to see pics under white light intensity to confirm.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
Eating ?

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paraguard rarely works and Ruby rally more effective but need to see pics under white light intensity to confirm.
Are fish breathing normal or labored?
Eating ?
Hey, the new Clownfish died five days after purchase.
The older Clownfish and the Diamond Goby are several months old and look 100% healthy and normal. There is no sign of illness or loss of appetite. Mixed feelings about doing anything under the circumstances. It's been three days since the new fish died.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey, the new Clownfish died five days after purchase.
The older Clownfish and the Diamond Goby are several months old and look 100% healthy and normal. There is no sign of illness or loss of appetite. Mixed feelings about doing anything under the circumstances. It's been three days since the new fish died.
Referring back to ruby rally which is reef safe, you can use it as insurance or acquire it or other med and observe fish another 5 days to assure clear so in the event something should surface, then you are prepared to treat right away

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the remaining Clownfish and the Goby both are appear completely healthy. I am relieved by that and hope it continues.

Do any of you use selcon? I've been thinking about the best ways to help everyone extra healthy! I feed various pellets and frozen foods. I'm not sure about adding supplements to their food.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the remaining Clownfish and the Goby both are appear completely healthy. I am relieved by that and hope it continues.

Do any of you use selcon? I've been thinking about the best ways to help everyone extra healthy! I feed various pellets and frozen foods. I'm not sure about adding supplements to their food.
If your clown that died had brook, then the disease is in your tank and will eventually get to the other fish irregardless of how they appear currently. The only way is to QT the remaining fish and fallow your tank 45 to 76 days. Any new fish additions are at risk also but this only applied if your fish had brook or maybe velvet.

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your clown that died had brook, then the disease is in your tank and will eventually get to the other fish irregardless of how they appear currently. The only way is to QT the remaining fish and fallow your tank 45 to 76 days. Any new fish additions are at risk also but this only applied if your fish had brook or maybe velvet.
That is the question! Both are considered highly contagious and so far only the new little fish died. It’s been about 9 days since I bought that fish.
I suspect that there are additional reasons a fish might not thrive in a new environment. That’s why I’m torn about stressing out the two fish that seem 100% healthy by putting them in quarantine.
Well, perhaps it’s more accurate to say I’m concerned about my ability to keep them healthy and happy in QT for a couple of months. Medications can be pretty stressful too.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the question! Both are considered highly contagious and so far only the new little fish died. It’s been about 9 days since I bought that fish.
I suspect that there are additional reasons a fish might not thrive in a new environment. That’s why I’m torn about stressing out the two fish that seem 100% healthy by putting them in quarantine.
Well, perhaps it’s more accurate to say I’m concerned about my ability to keep them healthy and happy in QT for a couple of months. Medications can be pretty stressful too.
Without pics and complete symptoms it's hard to diagnose if the fish passed from a disease or just an individual illness. There is nothing wrong with keeping your existing fish in DT for several months and monitoring them. Then after 2 or 3 months if they do not develop serious symptoms you are probly ok to add fish again. I highly recommend QT new fish first or use and LFS that does it for you especially with clowns which are highly susceptible to disease. Brook wiped my tank very early on and some fish took longer to succumb.

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pics and complete symptoms it's hard to diagnose if the fish passed from a disease or just an individual illness. There is nothing wrong with keeping your existing fish in DT for several months and monitoring them. Then after 2 or 3 months if they do not develop serious symptoms you are probly ok to add fish again. I highly recommend QT new fish first or use and LFS that does it for you especially with clowns which are highly susceptible to disease. Brook wiped my tank very early on and some fish took longer to succumb.
I really appreciate your reply.
I guess it's time to read more about QT. I worry about keeping the water parameters in line without live rock.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Selcon is a vitamin and immunity booster. If fish are healthy, observe but be prepared to treat if a situation arises. Treatment is optional and fallow is 45-60 days if you wish. At this point, you would see signs as its been a week since loss of last fish. As your concern implied- No need to stress them out if doing well.

OP
OP
wdotero

wdotero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: both fish are still 100% active and healthy. I believe the new fish died from non-contagious health problems.
I now have Ruby rally reef pro on hand and plan to set up a QT before adding any new fish.
Thanks for the advice!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back