thoughts and advise on flatworm exit

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hijack your post, @new2this but wanted to post a pic of what mine looks like - credit google images - not mine, just closest I can get of what mine look like. Looking for same advice. I try to learn from everyones posts in case I run into the same issue :)
flatworm.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's a good idea to use flatworm exit just to get rid of these guys....it would be like us cutting off and grafting new skin because of some sunburn.
It's your tank and you can do whatever you see fit with it but chemicals can be very harmful and something may take a bad reaction to it that any of us would have never known.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, because you'll bring it back to the tank via your fish and coral.
Have you tried manual removal? What are you feeding your fish? Could the tank use a good cleaning? Be honest. LOL!
i do weekly water changes , my perameters are good, when i syphon i suck and stir up the sand bed(not making a detritus cloud in the tank)..i feed mysis shrimp once a day, maybe once a week i feed them flakes...and feed the corals reef chilli........also after reading the instuctions on the flat worm exit i started sucking them out with a syringe...but to do that would be a never ending battle...i counted twenty...but id say there is probally 200...just my guess

morgank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoris family of wrasses *may* eat them. I have a checkerboard wrasse in my main display and have zero, I think he is the reason. I have several connected tanks in my system and do have flatworms in the tanks without the wrasse. I suck them out with a quarter inch hose superglued to a cut driveway marker to use as a wand. I plan on getting more wrasses

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichoris family of wrasses *may* eat them. I have a checkerboard wrasse in my main display and have zero, I think he is the reason. I have several connected tanks in my system and do have flatworms in the tanks without the wrasse. I suck them out with a quarter inch hose superglued to a cut driveway marker to use as a wand. I plan on getting more wrasses
so..i just ordered a melanarus wrasse...she will be here thursday....thanks

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your new pests... I just used Flatworm Exit to rid my tank of flatworms. I have a 29 gallon tank that is LPS dominant with some SPS and polyps thrown in the mix. Overall my experience with the product was great! Just make sure to follow the directions exactly as it says. Make sure to siphon the dead/dying worms out after the allowed time for the product to do its work. I did not take any chances and performed two 5 gallon water changes at 3 hours and 4 hours after dosing the product just to help rid of any of the toxins that flatworms release after death.

One tip if you decide to use Flatworm Exit would be to dose a second time 3 days after the initial dose. It does not kill the eggs and some of the baby flatworms seemed to have no reaction to it. I ended up dosing three times in the span of 2 weeks. It has been a little over 2 weeks since dosing and I have not seen any flatworms (knock on wood). If they come back I would not hesitate to use the product again. I saw no ill effects on my fish, corals, and invertebrates.

Again, just do as the packaging says and you should be fine! Good luck!

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri Damsels,,alot more mild tempered damsel but love to eat flatworms,,always have a few in my tanks for this reason but luckily I dont have flatworms..you do not always see them for sale but get some while their avaliable for purchase

Williamthegr88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flatworm exit about a month ago it went well just be very cautious and ready with water for water change if you decide to do so I did not have many but did notice some corals and inverts did not react well to it closed up for a few days I don't think I would Want to do it if I had a bunch

DSPENCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little Ruby Red Dragonet that ate them and cleaned up my tank....he also ate frozen foods.
A friend had a Mandarin Dragonet that ate them and got rid of all of them in his tank.

RobBaglieri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an 8 gallon loaded with flat worms. Tried flatworm exit and flatworm RX for over a year. Works well but doesn't kill the eggs. Never killed them all and they always came back.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a little Ruby Red Dragonet that ate them and cleaned up my tank....he also ate frozen foods.
A friend had a Mandarin Dragonet that ate them and got rid of all of them in his tank.
Interesting that they ate flat worms. They eat a lot more than copepods in the wild. Don't remember the details now but it is a long list.

ChicagoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went through a few months ago. Just use the flatworm exit as directed. You'll be fine, trust me. I was worried as well. My corals and fish were unaffected.

Epicreefster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bunch, hundreds, around a year or so ago and found some info that they don't like higher flow. So I added some small power heads, 3 x800gph on a 60g tank. I also added a pair of blood shrimp from a tank breakdown at the same time. They were mostly gone in a month and completely gone in 3, didn't do anything different as far as food or maintenance. So either they hate flow, went through a cycle of sorts or blood shrimp eat them. Given how hard they are to eradicate in a tank even with things like flatworm exit which doesn't kill them all even at 10x dose,( it paralyzes them if I recall correctly) I think it was the shrimp.

OP
OP
new2this

new2this

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gal did her job...i can't find any more worms...i know they r still in there...but this is the way to go....now to get the clown wrasse out...thanks for the help

20170228_103832.jpg

jrust2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used flatworm exit on my 90 gallon reef tank about a week ago. Worked wonders however my yellow tang died. All my other fish seemed a little stressed at first but since have recovered. Only a handful of flatworms survived and so ill be doing another treatment next week. Even though I lost a fish, I would still recommend it.

morgank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Melanarus wrasse came out of QT a couple of weeks ago and is eating them. I also have a checkerboard wrasse in another, connected tank and never see any flatworms there. It seems the Halichoeres wrasse family is a good option.

I also had a velvet nudibranch in my sump that was mowing them down, but I haven't seen it in a while now....granted the sump is a 150 tub and there's lots of places to hide.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back